VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Monorail for property?

IBOK

Would a monorail ride make sense at the park? I envision something like Disneys railroad that goes around the perimeter of the park with a stop in each section including HH, Safari camp, and maybe an exit only stop for the parking lot. Was looking at the map and think it would look kinda cool too. Maybe have a stretch of it going over the lake. Would need to have long spans and perhaps ability to climb and dip to blend into the environment. What are your thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

The monorail works well at Hersheypark, and when they first opened at Christmastime a few years back, admission was free and you paid for ride tickets. The monorail was always a big attraction. With a one-price admission, you are correct that a monorail would not directly bring in money.

Unfortunately I think we now live in a society where the rides have to have some level of danger or excitement, and something timid like a monorail just doesn't fit that mold.

Personally I think a park like this needs to have either a monorail or a train like Busch Gardens. Maybe that's because I love trains, or maybe because I'm old now (55). LOL

Edited by dougdrummer

It does seem like tame rides aren't being built anymore and when a park needs the room, they are some of the first rides to go like when Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Kings Island and Magic Mountain all removed their antique cars somewhat recently mostly for coasters. Even some Disney parks are removing their car rides. A train or monorail added to Great Adventure would be nice, especially for when you want to take a break from the coasters or other thrill rides.

• Like 1

Currently, the park could be able to run a monorail to serve guests between the dry park and the water park but the concern is efficiency and cost. A tram or bus could be feasible though.

Currently, the park could be able to run a monorail to serve guests between the dry park and the water park but the concern is efficiency and cost. A tram or bus could be feasible though.

They do have a shuttle bus that goes from the front of the park to the water park to the parking lot where parents can drop and pick up their kids. We have used it a few times.

• Like 1

Although I'd love to see a train or monorail, they do have the skyride to get you from one end to the other (except during Holiday in the Park, when it is a round trip only). However, unlike Busch Gardens Williamsburg, the topography at SFGA is much flatter and takes less energy to walk the entire park. I've been to Busch in the heat of the VA summer and walking those hills are brutal, so the train is nice to get a rest when needing to get to the other side of the park.

I can see a benefit to tie the amusement park to the water park, but they would never invest in a monorail type infrastructure for that. I've never been to the water park, so that is not a big deal for me.

Although I'd love to see a train or monorail, they do have the skyride to get you from one end to the other (except during Holiday in the Park, when it is a round trip only). However, unlike Busch Gardens Williamsburg, the topography at SFGA is much flatter and takes less energy to walk the entire park. I've been to Busch in the heat of the VA summer and walking those hills are brutal, so the train is nice to get a rest when needing to get to the other side of the park.

I can see a benefit to tie the amusement park to the water park, but they would never invest in a monorail type infrastructure for that. I've never been to the water park, so that is not a big deal for me.

A train seems interesting for the park but hard to really build over paths and infrastructure. Busch Gardens Williamsburg also has a decent amount of shade as well as three Skyrides.

A train seems interesting for the park but hard to really build over paths and infrastructure. Busch Gardens Williamsburg also has a decent amount of shade as well as three Skyrides.

It's interesting because BGW has several at-grade crossings in which the gates come down and hundreds of people have to stop when the train goes by. They also have safety/security personnel present to make sure no one goes around or over the gates and gets run over by the train (even though the train goes pretty slow). That's probably justified because I could see a little tyke running around and not understanding what is going on, or a teen trying to be goofy and jumping the gate on a dare. While most of the train route is at ground level, they do have a massive steel arch bridge the spans the ravine in the middle of the park. That must have been a huge expense to build.

While SFGA does not have the topographic challenges that BGW has, it would be cumbersome to construct without a lot of at-grade crossings.

It's interesting because BGW has several at-grade crossings in which the gates come down and hundreds of people have to stop when the train goes by. They also have safety/security personnel present to make sure no one goes around or over the gates and gets run over by the train (even though the train goes pretty slow). That's probably justified because I could see a little tyke running around and not understanding what is going on, or a teen trying to be goofy and jumping the gate on a dare. While most of the train route is at ground level, they do have a massive steel arch bridge the spans the ravine in the middle of the park. That must have been a huge expense to build.

While SFGA does not have the topographic challenges that BGW has, it would be cumbersome to construct without a lot of at-grade crossings.

It is an inconvenience when a park train ride crosses paths. A round trip train ride would end up being easier to build as it could go around the perimeter of Switlik Lake and pass near some safari enclosures. The problem is that it won't help guests get across the park.

It is an inconvenience when a park train ride crosses paths. A round trip train ride would end up being easier to build as it could go around the perimeter of Switlik Lake and pass near some safari enclosures. The problem is that it won't help guests get across the park.

That's what makes a monorail a more logical choice:it passes over every thing.They could put the central station at the new park entrance they wanted to build a long time ago and another station where the giant teepee/conestoga wagon was.

That's what makes a monorail a more logical choice:it passes over every thing.They could put the central station at the new park entrance they wanted to build a long time ago and another station where the giant teepee/conestoga wagon was.

SFGA ain't no Disney park, but a monorail would give it more of that Disney resort feel. And if they could connect it to a hotel on premise.....

• 1 month later...

What if Great Adv. built a full-circuit sky ride with 4 stations like Disney is now doing in Orlando?One station could be in the waterpark,another could be in either the safari or next to Medusa/Bizarro, and a third in Congo Rapids' "infield".

This would work even better if they broke the park into separate areas like Disney and Universal did, and customers could do park hopping.