VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Day 19- Partner with a Hotel Developer

• 3 weeks later...

Just for Fun, If Great Adventure was to add a hotel w/Indoor Waterpark, What theme would you give it?

I'd give it a Looney Tunes theme and it would go like this:

1. Taz Typhoon
Proslide Hydro Magnetic Mammoth/Tornado
2. Sylvester's Splashdown
Proslide 3 Body Slide Complex
3. Bugs Bunny Beach House
Proslide Ride House 400 with 6 Slides
4. Tweety's Tidal Wave
20,000sqft Wave Pool
5. ACME Water Works
10,000sqft Kids Pool
6. Daffy Duck's Splash Island
10,000sqft Activity Pool
7. Elmer's Whitewater Adventure
900ft Lazy River
8. Foghorn's Flow Rider
Proslide 1,200sqft Flow Rider Single Surf

A hotel would be great. If there was an attached waterpark I could see staying there once or twice a season and spend part of the day at the waterpark and the rest of the day in the theme park especially during HITP when it would be nice to spend more time indoors in colder weather.

I never understood why there weren't any hotels within a few minutes of the park considering Great Adventure is such a major park. It seems like most parks have some hotels near them, even smaller parks.

This Summer my Aunt took me to Six Flags because her company Wyhndam * The world's largest hotel company* They had a catered event with a ert too so they went over at the meeting Six Flags Hotel plans and let me just tell you it is nice I can not say what will be in their I can Tell you though it will be very modern

• 3 weeks later...

I would recommend a campground as well but there is one literally 5 min. down the road. Something like Great Wold lodge would be great because of Holiday in the park, the park is open more now. Also, a indoor water park in the hotel won't affect hurricane harbor at all if anything it would be a great alternative for when the water park hits capacity. Those who aren't guests can still use the hotel water park but they just have to pay. Does Great Escape run own and run the hotel?

• 3 months later...

I thought this article with Six Flags Magic Mountain Park President Bonnie Weber was interesting because I haven't seen anyone from Six Flags mention adding a hotel to a park or becoming a destination resort in a long time.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-himi-weber-20170430-htmlstory.html

A destination dream

Most visitors to Magic Mountain live nearby or are visiting from within California or adjacent states. Weber said she can envision a future when Magic Mountain becomes a destination resort, with an adjoining hotel, to draw nationwide visitors and foreign travelers to stay for multiple days. After all, Magic Mountain is next to enough open land to accommodate an expansion. “There is nothing to say that we wouldn’t one day be a destination all by ourselves,” she said.

Also, Great Wolf Resorts just purchased the struggling Key Lime Cove indoor waterpark resort across the street from Six Flags Great America for approximately $35 million dollars and is spending a minimum of $65 million dollars to renovate and expand the resort. The resort just closed and will reopen in mid-2018 as Great Wolf Lodge Illinois.

http://www.dailyherald.com/business/20170419/great-wolf-expected-to-open-in-gurnee-in-mid-2018

So maybe something will happen with Great Adventure in the near future.

I would recommend a campground as well but there is one literally 5 min. down the road. Something like Great Wold lodge would be great because of Holiday in the park, the park is open more now. Also, a indoor water park in the hotel won't affect hurricane harbor at all if anything it would be a great alternative for when the water park hits capacity. Those who aren't guests can still use the hotel water park but they just have to pay. Does Great Escape run own and run the hotel?

Funny you mention campground, because as we were riding the safari yesterday and when we were in the preservation area towards the end, my wife said "it would be awesome if they put a campground right around here". We've already camped once in the area and attended GA. But we went about 15 miles northeast to a place called Turkey Swamp in Monmouth County (exit 22 off I-195). It's not the most convenient, but still closer than home. There are two campgrounds closer, but they are private with lots of seasonal sites, and the cost starts at $50+ per night. Turkey Swamp is run by the county, but they do have water and electric hookups, which we need for our camper. And it costs a lot less per night.

I am certain that a Fort Wilderness-style campground would be very profitable for SF, especially since the park has a pretty expansive schedule now. The key is to rent cabins and trailers, to tailor towards all the families that don't have campers or who don't want to stay in a tent. Because of GA's strategic location, I'm sure lots of non-GA attenders would stay at the park. Last I checked, the cheapest campsite at Fort Wilderness rented for at least $80/night, with trailer rental almost double that. While GA probably couldn't demand that rate, most resort-style campgrounds in Cape May and other shore areas do charge $70+/night during peak season for two adults, with additional cost for each kid.

As far as hotels go, I found it interesting that there is a sign on the exit driveway out of the park that lists all the hotels in the area.

What if Great Adv. bought up either Timberland Lake or Crystal Springs Campground and added cabins?

It might work, but remember Fort Wilderness is integral with Disney World, and offers short bus or boat rides right to the park. Timberland and Crystal Springs would require a significant shuttle bus ride to the park. Also, Knoebels has its campground right across from the park so patrons can walk right to the front gate, and Hershey has a campground about a mile away with a short shuttle ride.

It might work, but remember Fort Wilderness is integral with Disney World, and offers short bus or boat rides right to the park. Timberland and Crystal Springs would require a significant shuttle bus ride to the park. Also, Knoebels has its campground right across from the park so patrons can walk right to the front gate, and Hershey has a campground about a mile away with a short shuttle ride.

Maybe GA could get another safari style trucks be the shuttle from a campground to the park.