VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Fright Fest 2017

29yrswithaGApass

Six Flags Great Adventure updated their 2017 operating calendar it appears Fright Fest will run from September 16 to October 29 and will be on the following days:

Fridays: September 22, 29, Oct 6, 13, 20, 27 - 5:30PM to Midnight

Saturdays: September 16, 23, 30, Oct 7, 14, 21, 28 - 11AM to Midnight

Sundays: September 17, 24, Oct 1, 15, 22, 29 - 11AM to 10PM (Sunday Oct 8 - 11AM to 11PM)

Monday: October 9 - 11AM to 10PM

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright: Here are my ideas for Fright Fest

This is a major overhaul of the event that I believe would be a better park experience and a bigger profit for the park itself.

I believe that Fright Fest should become more like Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios. Now before you yell at me saying that the park does not have the budget for it, I am not saying in terms of budget

I think that "Thrills by Day" and "Fright by Night" should be separately ticketed events. Thrills by day should open as a normal day in the park, but a little earlier. The park would open at 9AM compared to the normal 11AM they have for normal Fright Fest hours. "Thrills by Day" would be relatively the same as it is now with all of the family friendly things to do, the kiddie sections open, and all of the rides and attractions running. This would run till about 5 when the park would completely close and clearing out the park. Security would do a lap around the park like they do at night after they close and confirm that everyone exited. This would be the time where the families and people who do not want to be scared would leave the entire venue and go home. This would clear out the park of people who do not want to be scared and make the "Fright by Night" portion a lot less crowded.

"Fright by Night" would be a separately ticketed event, with season passes including a certain amount of days allowed to enter, maybe 2 or 3.

After the 5PM closing they could open "Fright by Night" at 530/545 as an event meant for people over the age of 13.

The awakening would be at 6 and a pre-recorded voice over of the awakening could be broadcasted through the park. Dead man's party would be presented as usual and so would other shows but now that it is mostly an older crowd they could put on shows like Slash was last year without having to worry about complaints. Major roller coasters would be open but all children's areas as well as many flat rights would be closed to give the event more of a thrill orientation rather than family oriented. This would save the park a lot on not staffing rides that should not be staffed at a thrill oriented event anyway. All of the trails would be included because people had to pay in to get the "Fright by Night" anyway. There would still be the Express option to skip the line of the haunted trails.

Benefits to us

The park would be much less crowded due to the split; less people willing to pay for both

Season pass holders would have a couple of free "Fright by Night" events

All Fright Fest trails would be free just like other parks

Benefits to the Park

More money being made through ticket sales as "Fright by Night" would be a separately ticketed event

Less cost of workers for rides that do not need to be staffed at night like children's rides and flat rides

The only negative I see here is that you lose about an hour of park time in between the two events

Will this happen? Probably not

I just think that because Universal gets the extra revenue from Halloween Horror Nights admissions separated from the normal park hours their theming is much better; I don't think Six Flags could be up to their standards but I think that some of the mazes need some freshening up; I think that Vooodoo Island needs upgrades and the Manor needs an overhaul; its a fine theme but its exactly the same as years and years in the past.

These are just my thoughts-- let me know what you think

Dorney's Haunt is pretty similar to your idea except it is not an upcharge for SP holders. They have some very well done houses with lots of props. Though they pretty much do not decorate their midways anymore outside of the scare zones. Of course GADV does not decorate as much as they used too either. As for HHN, despite the separate admissions, HHN are ungodly crowded, more so than during the normal operating time. Some of the houses get 3 hour lines. Plus the crowds are much more rowdy with everybody smoking everywhere, even on rides. Too many for Universal to stop.

Dorney's Haunt is pretty similar to your idea except it is not an upcharge for SP holders. They have some very well done houses with lots of props. Though they pretty much do not decorate their midways anymore outside of the scare zones. Of course GADV does not decorate as much as they used too either. As for HHN, despite the separate admissions, HHN are ungodly crowded, more so than during the normal operating time. Some of the houses get 3 hour lines. Plus the crowds are much more rowdy with everybody smoking everywhere, even on rides. Too many for Universal to stop

I thought about making my plan to allow season pass holders in for an unlimited amount of trips however because of the amount of season pass holders in Six Flags, I thought that there would be too many people (like there is now)

And yes Universal DOES have excessive crowds for HHN however, I would say its mostly due to the theme of their mazes

I thought about making my plan to allow season pass holders in for an unlimited amount of trips however because of the amount of season pass holders in Six Flags, I thought that there would be too many people (like there is now

Last I heard, it was about 56% of visitors have season passes, and I feel like that's less when FF comes around. I'm curious on how Fiesta Texas' FF turned out since they had free trails.

I think that "Thrills by Day" and "Fright by Night" should be separately ticketed events. Thrills by day should open as a normal day in the park, but a little earlier. The park would open at 9AM compared to the normal 11AM they have for normal Fright Fest hours. "Thrills by Day" would be relatively the same as it is now with all of the family friendly things to do, the kiddie sections open, and all of the rides and attractions running. This would run till about 5 when the park would completely close and clearing out the park. Security would do a lap around the park like they do at night after they close and confirm that everyone exited. This would be the time where the families and people who do not want to be scared would leave the entire venue and go home. This would clear out the park of people who do not want to be scared and make the "Fright by Night" portion a lot less crowded.

Kicking everyone out just seems like an insane waste of guests' time, and the park's time and money. You're just forcing people to either leave and not come back or sit in their cars for an hour. We don't have a CityWalk.

If the park opens at 9am, that's 2 extra hours of staffing required. A lot of the staff they have work the entire day (~9am to ~1am, 16 hours), which is probably already past the limit that they should be worked. Working ~7am to ~1am (18 hours straight) is out of the question for a single employee, so they'd need more staff to be able to stagger shifts. They have problems now getting enough employees, so unfortunately this just isn't feasible.

Kicking everyone out just seems like an insane waste of guests' time, and the park's time and money. You're just forcing people to either leave and not come back or sit in their cars for an hour. We don't have a CityWalk.

If the park opens at 9am, that's 2 extra hours of staffing required. A lot of the staff they have work the entire day (~9am to ~1am, 16 hours), which is probably already past the limit that they should be worked. Working ~7am to ~1am (18 hours straight) is out of the question for a single employee, so they'd need more staff to be able to stagger shifts. They have problems now getting enough employees, so unfortunately this just isn't feasible.

Universal has a layover area in the park for guests with HHN tickets who are already in the park for normal hours can wait. It used to be pretty nice as you could sit down at Flanagan's and have dinner while you wait for HHN to start and even watch some of the street setup. But the last couple of years even the special layover is really crowded and Flanagan fills up with layover guests over an hour ahead of normal park closing. Heck sometimes there is even a long line just to enter the holding area.

If GADV did something similar, they would need a huge layover area with all the SP holders. Though I agree with YoungPup that FF likely draws more day tickets. Like HHN, it seems FF brings in the largest and most rowdy crowds to the park.

Edited by The Master

The staffing issue shouldn´t be as big of a problem because only major coasters would be open- plus they could change shifts and have one group work ¨Thrills by Day¨ and another work ¨Fright by Night¨; plus you only have to staff the major coasters (KK, El Toro, Nitro, Bizarro, Joker, Batman, Superman, Green Lantern)

Thats eight coasters-- about 3-5 staff members per ride

If its that big of an issue the park can open at normal time at 11 and shorten Thrills By Day. However, if Universal can find staffing, so can we.

As for the hours in between, they can do as Disney does with their events and instead of closing the park, require people to show their tickets/pass for the special event at each attraction (both rides and trails) so you can stay at the park but you cannot do anything

Again these are just some thoughts I had

I'm sorry, If I had a season pass I should be allowed to enter the park as many times as I want no matter what the event. Good luck telling people with season passes they are limited to the amount of visits, I know if someone told me that, I would laugh at them and walk away.

I'm sorry, If I had a season pass I should be allowed to enter the park as many times as I want no matter what the event. Good luck telling people with season passes they are limited to the amount of visits, I know if someone told me that, I would laugh at them and walk away.

I would not be happy either. The point of my pass purchase is for the knowledge that I can enter the park any day that park is in operation. Now, I don't think I have gone to FF more than 3 times in a season so it might not be something I should get my feathers ruffled over but the year that rule is implemented will be the year I wanted to go a 4th time and cant go. That would tick me off.

I believe the season pass currently advertises that Fright Fest is included, so if they took that ad away, you wouldn't really have any argument.

• Like 1

I wouldn't buy a season pass and id go to other parks. To me fright Fest is part of the operating season just like Holiday in the park. I know the park could gibe a crap about loosing my business but that's how I would feel

I wouldn't want to see Fright Fest a separate ticket event. That would basically take away Friday nights and other than an occasional Sunday or Columbus Day, that is the only day I usually go to the park during Fright Fest because crowds are much lower.

• 2 months later...

Seems that there's no updates on this years Fright Fest yet. I know they usually have the Fright Fest additions usually announced this time of year.

Edited by Mr.Six

^

Six Flags Great Adventure Announces August Events

Fright Fest Zombie Auditions and Technical Support August 4, 5, 11, 12, 18, 19 and 26
Calling all those who have a passion for Halloween, Six Flags Great Adventure is casting for the 2017 Fright Fest season. Interested zombies, ghouls and goblins are welcome to this open audition and should come prepared to participate in fun group exercises in front of a panel of judges. No costumes, props or previous experience is required. Performers should visit www.sixflagsjobs.com to apply online prior to the audition. The park is also looking for audio/visual/special effects technicians for Fright Fest. Interested applicants should contact the Entertainment Department at rzumsteg@sftp.com

Fright Fest Dance Auditions in New York City August 11
Great Adventures iconic show Dead Mans Party and the new Unleashed stage show are looking for exceptional dancers trained in jazz, musical theater, hip-hop and partnering. An open casting call will take place on Friday, August 11 at 9:30 a.m. Dancers are encouraged to bring a variety of dance shoes, ready to learn choreography and freestyle with zombie spirit. Auditions will be held at the iHeart Radio Theater, 32 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY.

So getting back to this two event in one day plan. How would get all those people that didn't pay for the night event to leave? Do people pay for both day and night at the same time at the begging of the day? Do the people that paid of the night half stay in the park? How are the people that stay for both day and night regulated, wristband?