VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Hersheypark announces Hershey's Chocolatetown: $150 million expansion opening Summer 2020

Medusa42

This is probably the most excited I have been about any coaster addition to a local park in 10+ years. Nitro is my 2nd favorite steel coaster and to have a similar type ride at Hersheypark will be great. The park could use another high capacity coaster with 2 out of the last 3 coasters really not great for handling the crowds the park gets (Laff Trakk and Fahrenheit). I'll still go to Skyrush on most visits to the park but on a day when the park is empty, I'll be spending more time riding this new coaster over and over. I am also hoping that this coaster will be open for Christmas Candylane in 2020 since I find the current coasters open not as good as what Great Adventure offers for Holiday in the Park.

I'm also looking forward to seeing a season pass line at the entrance. Most times I visit the park later in the day when there is no wait to get in but on days I get there for opening, even on a slow day, it can get very crowded. It also looks like metal detectors are going to be added at the entrances.

2 hours ago, GAcoaster said:

I think it looks really generic, especially compared to the Tudor Square entrance they have. I understand it's a necessity and a good idea, but it lacks much character. It's very barren looking, kike a Cedar Fair park entrance. 

I'm hoping that because it's so far out a lot of stuff hasn't been finalized yet, because I doubt Hershey of all places would actually open an ice cream creating experience as "ice cream parlor". From what we we can see it looks like a good looking area, I just they add more flair to it before it's done.

With Meadowlands Xanadu opening soon as another direct competitor and now this I really hope SF Corporate will do something big 2020. I know nothing SF is willing to put out will beat this but another large scale coaster would be nice. 

I heard they will be installing security screening similar to GADV's. Looks like they are going for a brick factory theme, I prefer the Tudor style of the current entrance.

Edited by The Master

• 3 weeks later...

Even though I'm excited for this massive expansion, my heart aches about the entrance change. Walking through the current entrance brings so much nostalgia for me because of it's cute charm but I understand the need for this change. Despite feeling a little sad, it looks really cool and I seriously can't wait to ride the new coaster!

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.hersheypark.com/tickets/season-passes.php

Hersheypark is following other parks with different tiers of season passes. The Full Size pass is the standard pass up $11 to $156 from the 2019 price. King Size is $195 and includes 2 bring a friend free tickets, a souvenir cup and other extras.

Wow, only 210' and 4,600'+. Much smaller than I would have guessed. I don't think that will even be the tallest or fastest in PA. 

I know not every coaster can be a record breaker, and Mako (which has similar stats) is a great coaster, but it seems like they would have just gone a bit bigger to outdo Nitro. It's (much like Mako) a little brother to Nitro. 

• 5 months later...

Unfortunately, it looks like the trains are going to have seatbelts. I was hoping for no seatbelts so dispatches could be at least somewhat close to as fast as the dispatches are at Nitro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yoshi said:

Unfortunately, it looks like the trains are going to have seatbelts. I was hoping for no seatbelts so dispatches could be at least somewhat close to as fast as the dispatches are at Nitro.

I hadn't even noticed the seatbelts, as I was busy admiring the color schemes of the trains!  I love how unique they are, especially the Reese's themed one.

That's too bad about the seatbelts though.  Having 3 vehicles move continuously will be a much greater challenge with the requisite safety checks.  I wouldn't be surprised if this also led to some extra time spent unloading the trains before the next sets of guests are permitted to board.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I never thought they would be reopening so soon moving to the green phase with Dauphin County only going to the yellow phase 2 weeks ago. 

As much as I want to be there July 1st, I might wait a few weeks to see how well the rules are being enforced. Seeing pictures of other reopened parks like Lagoon with no social distancing, makes me a little hesitant to go right away.

• Like 1

I saw what was going on at Chocolate World so I was expecting similar restrictions to that and what other parks are saying. I haven't been to the park since I visited York College and I don't care about the Water park so I will probably visit at the end of next month.

Unrelated but I also want to go to the Philadelphia Zoo, If somebody hears something, feel free to message me.

I see the park will have reduced hours, mainly closing at 9 instead of 10. Hershey will be one of the worst parks to wear a mask at between the hot blacktop and lack of shade. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Master said:

I see the park will have reduced hours, mainly closing at 9 instead of 10. Hershey will be one of the worst parks to wear a mask at between the hot blacktop and lack of shade. 

You're right: Kissing Tower Hill, Trailblazer, and possibly where Wildcat and Wild Mouse are are the only shady spots around

• 2 weeks later...

I heard Kissing Tower was also closed for the season. Storm Runner is expensive to operate due to the hydraulic launch, Kissing tower is a long ride where you're in an enclosed vehicle with a large group of people. 

I can see with Sooperdooperlooper because its and older ride, so the queue space is smaller, making it more difficult to properly social distance and might be capacity and demand based. A little surprised Cupfusion has the go ahead. I haven't been since opening day of 2017 and plan on going late next month so it's just something I haven't done yet (along with the Triple Towers, Trailblazer, Sidewinder, Fahrenheit, Wild Mouse, and obviously Candymonium in terms of major stuff).

Sure, Storm Runner and SDL could be suffering some issues too, but I think what I said could be more accurate.