VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Welcome Past & Present Ride Operations Team Members!

GAcoaster

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings! My name is Harry and I worked as a ride operator on Parachuter's Perch (aka Parachute Jump Tower) during the 1985 and 1986 seasons. Because the ride always managed to shut down even in the slightest winds, I spent quite a bit of time in the neighboring rides of the "130" section. These included the Sarajevo Bobsled, Joust-a-Bout, Carousel, Monster Spin, and the always exciting Bugs Bunny Land. In 1985 I worked the nightshift up until July and then switched to days for the remainder of my time during '85 and all of '86 until my return to college. Needless to say, it was a great job with a ton of wonderful memories!

Greetings! My name is Harry and I worked as a ride operator on Parachuter's Perch (aka Parachute Jump Tower) during the 1985 and 1986 seasons. Because the ride always managed to shut down even in the slightest winds, I spent quite a bit of time in the neighboring rides of the "130" section. These included the Sarajevo Bobsled, Joust-a-Bout, Carousel, Monster Spin, and the always exciting Bugs Bunny Land. In 1985 I worked the nightshift up until July and then switched to days for the remainder of my time during '85 and all of '86 until my return to college. Needless to say, it was a great job with a ton of wonderful memories!

130? Wow... that's really retro. I think in the Buccaneer op booth there is a phone listing with all the old sections.

Hello all! I'm Walter, and I worked as a ride operator during 2005, then as a lead from 2006 until mid 2007 when I left. During 2005, I started at Batman: The Ride only as a temporary position because Balin's Jungleland and Kingda Ka weren't ready yet. I consider it a privilage that I got to be part of the opening crew for the worlds tallest and fastest roller coaster. :) During my time in Balin's I would find any excuse to clean just to take a look at the tigers who were only a few feet away. I also found my passion of working in Kid's Areas much to the shock of my co-workers who found it detestable.

Come 2006, I was promoted to Assistant Lead of Skyride however, like Harry and the Parachute Tower, it was closed a lot so I quickly became trained for the entire east side of the park, the only rides I did not have were Riptide, Chiller, Congo Rapids, LTS and Water Effect. It was very interesting because I never knew where I was going to be during the day. There were some shifts where it would seem like I was on every ride I had.

In 2007 I was Assistant Lead of Skull Mountain (always a fun ride) and not too long after, I was promoted to full Lead of Batman: The Ride, finally getting back to my roots. During my stay at Batman, I finally became trained in LTS, Wiggles World and the rest of section 260. After my (far too short) stay in my Batcave, I was moved to Congo Rapids and a month later, I resigned.

I enjoyed working at Six Flags, as it gave me a whole new perspective on the park. I have many memories from my time, the most of prevailent was meeting my girlfriend Jackie back in 2005, and we have been together ever since.

130? Wow... that's really retro. I think in the Buccaneer op booth there is a phone listing with all the old sections.

Hello all! I'm Walter, and I worked as a ride operator during 2005, then as a lead from 2006 until mid 2007 when I left. During 2005, I started at Batman: The Ride only as a temporary position because Balin's Jungleland and Kingda Ka weren't ready yet. I consider it a privilage that I got to be part of the opening crew for the worlds tallest and fastest roller coaster. :) During my time in Balin's I would find any excuse to clean just to take a look at the tigers who were only a few feet away. I also found my passion of working in Kid's Areas much to the shock of my co-workers who found it detestable.

Come 2006, I was promoted to Assistant Lead of Skyride however, like Harry and the Parachute Tower, it was closed a lot so I quickly became trained for the entire east side of the park, the only rides I did not have were Riptide, Chiller, Congo Rapids, LTS and Water Effect. It was very interesting because I never knew where I was going to be during the day. There were some shifts where it would seem like I was on every ride I had.

In 2007 I was Assistant Lead of Skull Mountain (always a fun ride) and not too long after, I was promoted to full Lead of Batman: The Ride, finally getting back to my roots. During my stay at Batman, I finally became trained in LTS, Wiggles World and the rest of section 260. After my (far too short) stay in my Batcave, I was moved to Congo Rapids and a month later, I resigned.

I enjoyed working at Six Flags, as it gave me a whole new perspective on the park. I have many memories from my time, the most of prevailent was meeting my girlfriend Jackie back in 2005, and we have been together ever since.

Do you know Matt, I dont know what position he was on the ride, but he had an orange vest. Also, do you know the guy who is a little heavy-set, and has black hair? Those two are my favorites!

• 1 month later...

Thank you Dan, Dan and Dainan.

I loved working Rolling Thunder in 2000, 2001, 2003 and this year. Prepare to weather the storm!

I worked GASM in 2002... You're going to fly 173' in the air and flip through the second highest loop in the world. You're going to turn through the boomerang and twist through the corkscrews. Everybody Scream!

I also got to work Viper, Medusa, Sombrero, Rodeo Stampede, the rides of Bugs Bunny Land (except the Duckaneer) Dino Island, Parachutes and Taz Twister.

While I worked in Operations, they would pull us from Shows to work Rides on days when the park was understaffed. During those times I worked:

Sarajevo Bobsled

Skyride (Dream Street end)

Calypso

Ultra Twister

Swiss Bob

Freefall

Enterprise

Music Express

I'm sure there were more that I worked on, but those are the ones I remember off hand. I NEVER had to work BBL (I dodged the bullet by volunteering to work Enterprise or Sarajevo Bobsled).

(A digression inspired by many defunct rides mentioned in this post.)

Schwarzkopf flat rides were among some of the best flat ride designs in the business (especially the Calypso, Enterprise, and Bayern Curve). Some 20 years later, many models are still operating.

Intamin AG represented Schwarzkopf in the U.S. When Anton's company folded for the final time; I believe Intamin kept all of the plans. Schwarzkopf’s patents have long since expired. It would be nice to see a park chain like SF reincorporate these rides into their park rosters. Intamin should consider offering these models for sale again.

Edited by Thunderbolt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
This was probably THE worst ride to operate in Bugs Bunny Land. Before the kids were even seated they always managed to find the buzzers. A full load of kids could easily drive you nuts with all those horns!

gallery_2_170_23096.jpg

That was one of my favorite rides when I was little. God that was a long time ago.

Hi Everybody,

MY name is Winfield and I started working at Great Adventure in 1996 and remained there until 1998. I worked on Viper from day one, only having to move to another ride when Viper was closed in early 1996 for its wonderful saddlin' attribute and then again in 1998 when a large piece of track was removed and replace into the heartline roll.

I became a lead in 1997 and held that position until the last day in 1998.

Working at the park was one of the most challenging positions I ever endure during my professional career and with that came some amazing friends and knowledge that has been unmatched during my years following as a programmer. Right now I am doing ass't mngr work at Barnes and Noble in Moorestown. I still have my SF nametag and wear it daily in my Barnes and Noble hang tag. It stirs up great conversation with customers and co-workers....

.....good times.....

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. I'm Dave Tony House Pacitti. I worked rides from '95 till '98. Started out on the Log Flume and ended up at Cables by the end of the year where I worked with some of the best people I ever met. I was the lead at Western Cables in '96 and '97 and then sold out and went to the Dream Street side in '98. Met and worked with some really great people in those years and unfortunately lost touch with many of them.