VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Misc GA Mumblings

Up_Up_and_Away

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to Great Adventure photos, I am usually pretty good about picking up on certain details or things that have changed or remained the same through the years.

All last summer we saw this SkyScreamer rendering throughout the park and the riders looked vaguely familiar.

2012_04_09_IMG_5992%20copy.jpg

The same guy in the orange shirt was even featured on the cover of the 2012 maps and within the 2012 pamphlet.

2012-01%20copy.jpg

Each time I ran across his image I knew that I had seen him before. Well, my mystery is solved...

The same guys was featured on the cover of the 2002 season pamphlet! Ten years later, and he hasn't aged a day!

gallery_2_579_2889148.jpg

That's still my favorite map the park's ever put out -- I've got a mint-condition copy somewhere at home. (Though midway through the season they switched the placement of one of the ads, causing the rides/food/shopping tabs to overlap with part of the map when you could previously flip through them and see the whole map by their side.)

On another Arena-related note, came across this video recap of the Electric Adventure event that was just posted on Facebook. I know a lot of folks were skeptical about this meshing with a theme park environment, but it looks like it went quite well and it sounds like they're already planning to do another in 2013: https://www.facebook...&type=2 .

Edited by pashacar

Hopefully the weather will be okay by then. March is still very winter like around here. Weather usually doesn't start to turn nice until April is half over.

Edited by The Master

Agreed, so many times I was checking the forecast the day I was going to the park the past few years and it showed rain the whole day and then at the last minute, it changed to no rain and even then I don't always trust it. I really hope it doesn't snow opening weekend. Even if it's cold out (like the 40's), I'm still going but snow would keep me away. I also hope that the weather is good so it convinces the management to possibly consider opening in late March in future years even if Easter isn't until April.

Edited by Yoshi

As everyone guessed, the forecast has changed. As of now, the forecast will be dry and sunny but cold, only 47 for the high and windy. Well below normal for that time of the year. Have to wait and see. Sadly this is not a good region to open a park in late March, the weather is usually still lousy and cold. Don't even expect the weather to start to turn nicer until mid April, some years it doesn't even happen until June. Heck some Easters we have had snowstorms, GAdv is really pushing their luck opening this early.

Edited by The Master

• 2 weeks later...

Never heard of Fox5 before, guess it's a NY station? I never watch FOX anymore so Fox29 could be showing GADV ads on a endless loop and I would not know. So far I have not seen ads on 6ABC or CBS3. Despite being a major source of their customers, the Philly area has always got a light dose of GADV ads.

As for the forecast, a cool 49 but at least sunny and dry on Saturday. A cooler 47 and cloudy on Sunday, and a cold Monday of 43 with rain/snow showers.

Edited by The Master

Have seen the ad on 6ABS and FOX29 so far in the past few days... We were thinking about going Sunday but with the weather we just don't know...

^They are rarely accurate in forecasting tomorrow's weather so I don't think I will lose sleep with the long range forecast.

Looks like they were off by two days back then. Still pretty good for such a long range forecast, but I still wished they were wrong, stupid snow. If this keeps up we made end up with a 6 month snow season this year.

I hope the park opens tomorrow too, I am considering going on Wednesday and it will probably be way more crowded than normal if everyone who was going to go today and tomorrow goes then (and even if I didn't have work on Thursday and Friday, I wouldn't go those days anyway because of crowds)

Where I am the snow is already a good bit of the way gone. It switched over to a light rain for a while and put a big dent in the snow. Hopefully this has also happened in Jackson to speed up the snow melt. There was a solid 2 inch coating in the early afternoon but it is now a scattered trace coating. Supposed to be sunny tomorrow morning so it should melt.

For awhile they were forecasting up to 6 inchs of snow on the ground but thankfully it didn't end up that bad. 6ABC reports that this was the largest late snow fall in 10 years for our area. I remember March 03, snow was on the ground for a week. Still GADV didn't get it as bad as SFStL must have with over a foot of snow. Guess that park won't have much of a spring break.