VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Hydro Flume

29yrswithaGApass

I discovered something interesting while pulling together information for an update that we will be doing shortly on the Hydro Flume Spotlight. In addition to the many names that we mentioned already in the Spotlight, a new name has surfaced. On the 1975 employee park map the ride was labeled as "Strawberry Fair Flume"!

I miss it too, especially on days when Saw Mill Log Flume has a long line. If The Hydro Flume and MTWE were still open I'm sure lines for all the water rides would be better.

• 3 months later...

The first time I went to Great Adventure was in 2006. I remember my mom gave me the giant poster map when we got there, and I remember asking her if we could go on "the Riptide log flume thing over at the seaport." I think she said something along the lines of "it depends on the line" or something like that. The only area I remember was Loony Toons Seaport. When we got over there, I remember seeing Riptide, but it was closed. I don't think we came back later that year. However, I do remember going in 2007. I was all excited to finally get to ride Riptide. When we got there though, I was devastated. I remember thinking "Wiggles? They replaced a log flume for the Wiggles?"

Great Adventure removed too many rides before I was tall enough to ride by my self, including Riptide. :(

Does anyone remember the overhead sign just before the final drop on the Hydro Flume (seen in the photo below)? I don't recall ever seeing it and was wondering if it promoted Kodak, said remain seated, or something else?gallery_2_43_267912.jpg

o come on.... am I the only one here who remembers this sign? It was my favorite part of the ride. I honestly can't rember the exact wording but is was something to the effect of "Get Ready to take the Nestea Plung" or "Are you ready to take the Nestea Plung"

It might help to find out who was sponsoring it at the time. I am just guessing, but that might be one of the slides from Adventure Rivers in the background? In that case, the picture could have been taken anywhere between 1991-1998. I'm not sure who, but it might be useful to find who was exactly sponsoring the ride during those times. That might give you an idea what the sign said with the name of the sponsor. Was the sponsor still Kodak?

Harry, I bow to your and tom's expertise on the subject. But I know that Kodak also sponsored the log flume too at some point. Is it possible that they switched off sometime? I have such vivid memories of being very young riding the moon flume with my mother and seeing that sign exactly where it is in the first picture you posted from 1978. I mean its driving me nuts.lol feel like calling mom right now. Lol

I am now going to have to go on a mission through my father slide collection. He carried that pentex camera everywhere we went maybe he has a shot of it somewhere.

If you need assistance converting those Great Adventure slides to digital photos just let us know! We'd be happy to help! :)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was just on nitro and when I was on the lift I looked down into the maintenance yard I swore I saw 4 riptide boats being wheeled out with lightnin loops lead car that looked repainted! sitting next to the 4 cars can someone explain this please?!?!

Funny how what replaced the Hydro Flume, The Wiggles is also gone too. With the massive crowds GADV gets anymore, they really could stand a second flume.

Edited by The Master

• 9 months later...

Here is an interesting series of photos taken from the catwalks of the Hydro Flume when it was known as Irrawady Riptide back in 1994 and when Adventure Rivers was still part of the park. Much of the land you see below the ride was transformed into Looney Tunes Seaport in 1999.

gallery_2_1109_577818.jpg

gallery_2_1109_1276850.jpg

gallery_2_1109_1251183.jpg

gallery_2_1109_1196152.jpg

gallery_2_1109_720060.jpg

gallery_2_1109_1032978.jpg

gallery_2_1109_409297.jpg

gallery_2_1109_118128.jpg

gallery_2_1109_636206.jpg

gallery_2_1109_1053374.jpg

Always loved the Hydro Flume. While it wasn't anything close to the Log Flume, the Hydro Flume had plenty to offer with being in such a great location. You could hear Lightning' Loops rumbling, along with the Swiss Bobsled. And then you had the Great Train circling around and the breeze coming off the lakefront. Always waited until darkness fell to go on the Hydro Flume. There was always something special about that ride.Such memories.

Always waited until darkness fell to go on the Hydro Flume. There was always something special about that ride.Such memories.

That is what we always did too. The line at night use to be much shorter and the ride through the woods in the dark (before Adventure Rivers was built) was always cool. At night the conveyor lift always looked so much bigger and taller. When you reached the top it was the same as being on the far end of Nitro is today- in the middle of nowhere.