VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Lightnin' Loops

GAcoaster

Long before it was Johnny Rockets and Papa Johns, the food stand outside of Wiggles World was known as the Lightnin' Loops Cafe. Built in 1978 to accompany Lightnin' Loops, this was the first major food establishement added by Six Flags Corporation to fill the need for additional restaurant and snack places across the park.

gallery_2_420_145931.jpg

gallery_2_420_174419.jpg

gallery_2_420_434806.jpg

gallery_2_420_390370.jpg

Also, regarding the Lightnin' Loops Cafe', I was an assistant manager at LLC during the 1981 & 1982 seasons and the restaurant did not have service windows directly to the outside. That is, although there was no indoor seating for the restaurant, you did have to go inside the restaurant to be served.

Below is a great old photo of the Lightnin' Loops Cafe when guests had to go inside the building to get their food.

gallery_2_43_297547.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
man would i like to see the old lightnin loops over on the old freefall site and take the chiller from down the road out of storage on the farm and reinstall it fo 2010!!!

That would make the wound from Free Fall being removed much better for me but I heard that the side that was the Python was scraped.Though the other Diamondback is still in operation in Oklahoma.At least it would be reliable and not as as costly as the newer versions.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lightnin Loops was the first move I thought was bad but got over it with Chiller(like a newer replacement).Plus we had Scream Machine and all them flats.It was also just moved to Maryland as Python but dismantled a few years later.I really think they should have get one side,I never knew how popular and loved this coaster really was.When Hershey got Sidewinder I thought it was gonna be one loop like Lightnin Loops.When I saw the monster Sidewinder was in 91 I had to wait another day to prepare myself for 3 inversions backwards instead of the one and getting pulled up the lift straight down backwards.lol But Scream Machine my big licorice red roller coaster,I thought it would out last me,I miss GASM so much more than any ride thats gone from GA.It is and was my favorite coaster.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

An interesting fact is that some time before the 1980 season the back car was tuned around but proved to be a uncomftorable ride with the first launch.

I don't ever recall any of the cars on Lightnin' Loops being turned around. In fact, I'm not sure how it would be possible on an Arrow shuttle loop because the end cars on their shuttle loops were not the same as the end cars on a regular Arrow loop coaster and the seats were molded into the fiber glass outer shell. You would not be able to have the outer shell fit on the chassis with their shuttle loops, while it might be possible to do it with a standard Arrow loop end car. If you were going to do it, I believe the entire train would have to be reversed. And, since each cycle went forward and backwards, why would you even need to do it?

• Like 1

I don't recall this either and like Daved said, what sense would it make other than to have you go backwards first then forwards.

Below is a picture of the last car of Lightnin' Loops. Like the front, the back had an overhang which covered the launch cart on takeoffs. It would seem to me that reversing it would be impossible.

gallery_2_35_937194.jpg

I think I remember seeing the Arrow Shuttle Loop in Blackpool with half the seats one direction and half the other in an OLD roller coaster show from TV (back in the 80's). It was a British show called "Ride of Your Life" which I may still have on a video tape somewhere...

• 7 months later...

I remember riding Lightning Loops in the spring of 1979. I could not believe how much the structure moved and swayed during the launch and ride phases. Standing on the platform it felt like there was an earthquake. Obviously the structure was designed to take that movement. My love of coasters was one of the reasons I went into the civil engineering field and have worked there since. I've worked on lots of bridge projects, but unfortunately never anything at an amusement park.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...