VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

The Future of the Great Adventure History Website and Forums

GAcoaster

Just want to let everyone know I'm currently trying to figure out the path forward with the website. 

I don't think most people realize the devotion that Harry had to it, paying hundreds of dollars a year to keep the site and forums running. I should be able to migrate most of the website onto my own hosting, but I can't continue to pay for the Forum and Gallery hosting, and since it was all in Harry's name, I don't currently have access to the Invision hosting for it. 

At some point, the Forums and Galleries will just close, probably without any warning. I hope that I can salvage the sources files for all the photos and videos in the gallery and find a new way to post them all. 

Please, if you are on Facebook, "like" the page to stay up to date on future developments and arrangements. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jollyroger said:

Possibly we could try to restart the forums to something free to run like a Discord or a Facebook group and have the website direct you there, it could be an alternative if the forums has to go. 

That is a possibility, I just have to figure out if there's really enough community to support it. As it is we've seen traffic drop off on here to the point that we debated whether to go forward with the Forums before all this. Since we have a Facebook page already established (although I didn't post in it nearly enough) I think a FB group might be the solution. 

if the forums was to go, its maybe hard for me to do, I have joined discord before but my experience is bad because I was on the rio movie fandom discord server and then came to the meme section that I have a meltdown over my ocd & to make it even worse, discord would take you hours to scroll to your favorite post (especially for a person who has ocd) & its makes it worse, you can't search it up to find the post you name (this is why the forums were better: because you can search up things you posted, not with discord) & Facebook would easily makes fun of you for posting something that is labeled as "news about six flags". Especially since six flags was in bad financial ruins (maybe it will fix that if cedar fair & six flags merger goes smoothy)

Edited by harry2004

With Facebook compared to Discord, you can have topics similar to the forums on discord, and you can search for stuff, I like the GAH forums more too, but just would be nice to keep the GAH forums going in some sort of capacity.

image.thumb.png.dafd80938a386606d7e807ee9b1f5a19.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jollyroger said:

With Facebook compared to Discord, you can have topics similar to the forums on discord, and you can search for stuff, I like the GAH forums more too, but just would be nice to keep the GAH forums going in some sort of capacity.

image.thumb.png.dafd80938a386606d7e807ee9b1f5a19.png

but I used the search thing before and its wasn't working, but its for people on discord who didn't have their emails verifed 100% and yes, I like the forums and im hope to see if this site can keep the gah forums running with some sort of capacity, I mean, the Great America parks history still have the forums up but posted rarely (and note, I found out that the great american parks history forums has been temporarily locked during the site transition period):https://www.greatamericaparks.com/forums/

Edited by harry2004

2 hours ago, jollyroger said:

Except that that site does NOT allow EVERYONE to participate, which is stupid!

I just want to say, no matter what happens going forward, Great Adventure History is far and away one of the best communities I've ever been a part of. It came as somewhat of a surprise to recall that I joined this forum in November of 2007, a little over a month after its establishment. That means I've been a member for more than half of my life! Seeing me through from a teen who cared primarily about roller coasters, to a young man who gained an appreciation for the other pieces of the park that one could see and enjoy, to a spelunking adult who found interest in every piece of history and behind-the-scenes element dug up by the many contributors to this website, GAH has been a constant gold mine of content that enhanced my love of the park exponentially. The forums will always be my go-to and I hope we can keep them around in some capacity, but if not, wherever you go from here, you can bet I'll follow.

In the meantime, I've been saving a few threads/pages from here onto the Wayback Machine (https://archive.org/web/). There's no guarantee this will work if the forums go offline, but if there are any particularly special threads/conversations you remember and want to preserve, it wouldn't hurt to put them on there.

It's been a pleasure getting to know all of you over the years and I hope we can keep the conversation going well into the future.

• Like 2

It would be sad to see the forum go as this is one of the few laidback park forums that lacks online drama. I been a member here for a long time now and glad I lasted this long. I rather not join Facebook as I don't approve of that company and I have no experience with Discord. Is that a membership setup similar to Facebook? Most of my online experience has been with forums.

Its just seems to be one of those situations where it rains, it pours. I can't find fault in not wanting to spend hundreds to support a forum that has low traffic. I wish the best of luck for whatever the future holds for GAH. Best to enjoy whatever time we have left for the forum. 

Edited by The Master
  • Like 1

I'm with you the master, i had discord but I have a bad experience with it & Facebook will always makes fun of you for posting something

Edited by harry2004
  • Like 1

I'm also not a fan of Facebook but will use it if that is how the community will live on after the forums close. I sometimes lurk on the Connoisseurs page and find that people get attacked for just having a difference of opinion or asking an honest question. This forum is much better and not like that.

Another free option would be to create a group on Reddit but there you can run into some of the problems that Facebook has. The downvote button is supposed to be for a post not adding to the conversation but it's turned into a disagree button and I have seen people get into similar arguments like on the Facebook page. Although if it's mostly people from these forums posting, I don't think it would be as much as an issue compared to something like the general Rollercoaster page on Reddit.

It would have also been nice to get page for the original house. I saw it again last Dec on the Christmas hayride during HITP. Sadly the house is in bad shape. I saw it has missing roof shingles exposing the plywood decking which certainly means roof leak. Roof leaks can destroy a building pretty fast. 

Edited by The Master

On 1/27/2024 at 8:33 AM, GAcoaster said:

That is a possibility, I just have to figure out if there's really enough community to support it. As it is we've seen traffic drop off on here to the point that we debated whether to go forward with the Forums before all this. Since we have a Facebook page already established (although I didn't post in it nearly enough) I think a FB group might be the solution. 

Just wanted to say that I am more than willing to help with or even run a Discord server for GAH. I’ve got some experience both moderating them and setting them up, and I would love to be able to keep in touch with this community.

I think it would also make it more feasible to do some community events/park meetups if there’s interest, and I could definitely work on some ideas for us to have a bit of daily interaction.

You and Harry truly created something special, and I will forever be grateful for it, whatever the future may hold. Please feel free to reach out to me if there’s any way I can help or if you want to discuss Discord as an alternative for the forums. 

2 hours ago, GAcoaster said:

I will keep that in mind! I am leaning towards Discord although I know very little about it, so if I do help will be appreciated. 

Once again, that site DOES NOT ALLOW EVERYONE TO PARTICIPATE, thus it would be a STUPID place to set up.

Why not just find out how to run things as they are and then figure out what costs really are (and how to cover them, as many sites do beyond one person paying), or just move to a forum that doesn't charge much (if at all) and keep everything else as is.  Seems to work fine now!

The issue is that the Forums and Galleries cost quite a bit of money to keep open. I can't afford to keep them open out of my own pocket, and if I can't count on a steady source of money to keep them up, it's just unfeasible.

I am looking at another option now which seems like it may be the best solution. I will let you all know more as soon as I have things together. Ideally the solution will be open to all and free to use for the site and for users who wish to participate. 

6 hours ago, GAcoaster said:

I will keep that in mind! I am leaning towards Discord although I know very little about it, so if I do help will be appreciated. 

Sounds good, just let me know! Probably wouldn’t take me more than a day or two to set up if so, less time if I get a day off from work lol.

I have no idea what BillyG means by Discord not allowing everyone to participate. It certainly does assuming you have or make an account and join the server, and we all made accounts here throughout the years.

Archive.org does seem to have the Great Adventure History Galleries archived.....Forums not so much as it detected the site crawler.
What was nice about the current site is that it wasn't on one of the major Social Media Platforms.  So things tended to be nicer here!

Latest snapshot...
https://web.archive.org/web/20240129160532/https://www.greatadventurehistory.com/

On 1/27/2024 at 8:33 AM, GAcoaster said:

i recommend discord. It's free and pretty easy to set up

20 hours ago, GASM said:

Sounds good, just let me know! Probably wouldn’t take me more than a day or two to set up if so, less time if I get a day off from work lol.

I have no idea what BillyG means by Discord not allowing everyone to participate. It certainly does assuming you have or make an account and join the server, and we all made accounts here throughout the years.

I attempted to do so for another forum, and it WOULD NOT ALLOW ME TO, since it would only "confirm" who I was by some type of text, and a computer can NOT get such messages!  Most things will send a code to your email that you then enter, or even call you and give the code (which works for a regular phone where text does NOT).

Not everyone in the world has every single type of device!