VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Skyride

29yrswithaGApass

at the end of the night I would have all the rest of my crew climb up the ladder and go out on the catwalk between the two towers and watch the fireworks before we cleaned up for the night.

Dave it's good to hear from you too! I was actually telling someone I work with about this a few weeks back. Do you remember the crew cooling off at the dive show on the way back to the office!

QUOTE(Eric @ Aug 7 2008, 11:06 PM) Dave it's good to hear from you too! I was actually telling someone I work with about this a few weeks back. Do you remember the crew cooling off at the dive show on the way back to the office!

How could I forget. Me, you, Stacy, and whoever else was walking back. I remember always checking for security before we went to cool down. Good Times!

• 1 month later...

Just an FYI, I didn't see it mentioned in the spotlight, but the counterweights were actually relocated at some point in the skyride's history. Currently, they are underneath the station, but they used to be in a pit in the center of the station. When I last worked the skyride, you could still see the old counterweights in the pit from the maintenance catwalk above the bull wheel.

Also, in 1999 the entire control system for the cables was updated to a more modern computerized control.

^ That's great info Eric!

I would assume the control upgrades were part of the major overhaul of the ride when it remained closed during the entire 1999 season. Even though the park said the Skyride was only closed for the 1999 season and scheduled to reopen in 2000, I must say I had serious doubts that it was going to happen. I thought for sure the ride was dead in the water especially since they added so many new rides in 1999. "Out with the old and in with the new" came to mind.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I could not imagine working Cables with all those cars on it back when it was in the worlds fair,and I'm pretty pro at spacing cars =D

And wow,former employees had it easy,if we did what you guys did back then we would be in SOOOO much trouble now lol

Edited by Mike13

I could not imagine working Cables with all those cars on it back when it was in the worlds fair,and I'm pretty pro at spacing cars =D

And wow,former employees had it easy,if we did what you guys did back then we would be in SOOOO much trouble now lol

What did we have easy? What did we do that would get you in trouble?

What did we have easy? What did we do that would get you in trouble?

I could be wrong but i'm pretty sure we weren't supposed to be up on the cat walks. And holding 9 or 10 cars in station just to make a 4 minute gap might have been pushing it. I remember a supervisor calling up and asking us if we closed for some reason because he didn't see any cars on the cable. God I miss those days...

Edited by av8r296

I could be wrong but i'm pretty sure we weren't supposed to be up on the cat walks. And holding 9 or 10 cars in station just to make a 4 minute gap might have been pushing it. I remember a supervisor calling up and asking us if we closed for some reason because he didn't see any cars on the cable. God I miss those days...

Yeah those were good times. Now that I think about it, we did get away with a lot back then.

• 2 months later...

It depends. With the way they run fewer cars spaced further apart it may mean less stress on the cable/less stretching so the life of the cable may be longer than it had been in previous years. It all comes down to what they discover when they inspect the cables and machinery.

• 3 months later...

In today's Burlington County Times there is an artice about "World Fair's". There is a shot from Apr.27th. 1964 from Flushing Meadow's and our beloved Skyride is in it. Not a great shot of it or anything, but it is in it.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what year we got the replacment buckets? I seem to like the old ones better. I don't have anything against the buckets we have right now, but the look and shape just looks a little more friendly in the old ones. I also appreciate the use of rainbow colors and would love to see that again. Is it possible to see a rehab in the future (besides cable replacement) or is it more likely to never see it again? And on that topic, which did you think was better, the old colorful style or the new, relaxing style? Please leave your thoughts and ideas.