VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Skyride

29yrswithaGApass

We'll see additional rehabs. They've been painting the cars individually as needed, but I agree it would be good to see some new colors. Those cars came from Great America already in the red and blue paint and the only thing changed on them was the decal on the door (and eventually the addition of some extra bars on them).

SFGAm removed one skyride in 1982 and the second in 1984 where the cars sat for years until they were brought to GA. They went into service at GA in 1990.

• 7 months later...

The only time is stored on the Fort end is when a car can not travel back to the Dream Street end. The main reason for this was when a 'preclamp' occured. A 'preclamp' is when the clamp that secures the car to the cable is closed while it is in the station, therefore making impossible to place back on the cable. The car would be stored on the side track until the following morning when a ride mechanic would open the clamp. Every employee was always on the look-out for preclamps. Do not worry though, the launch mechanisim would not allow a preclamped car to pass, so there was no possibility of a car even attempting to be launched onto the cable.

I have to wonder if they just had too many cars? They never ran as many cars as the World's Fair did and the storage tracks at the Dream Street end combined with the Fort end storage tracks meant they probably had to store cars on the station loop when the ride closed, which meant it couldn't have been easy to pull a "bad" car off without having to jockey a bunch of cars around. I can't even imagine how they got those cars down to the ground on the Fort end...they must have been lifted down with a crane or a winch or something, and even then that seems like an inconvenient place to store them.

The first time I looked at this photo, I only noticed the red car on the Storage track in the station. I failed to notice the 3 sitting on the grass next to the lake! I have no idea about why those are there. My best guess would be based on the fact that there used to be a maintence shop under the station, but I was always under the impression it was an electical/lighting shop.

• 1 month later...

There is already advertising for them. There are signs with the M&M's and riding tips. The train storage building for Superman has a huge banner with M&M's advertising that you see when entering the park and above the exit stairs at Rolling Thunder is another one. I think there are 1 or 2 more ads for them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't seen both sides open (and 2 out of 4 trips this season the ride was closed). Since getting a season pass in 2008 I have only seen both sides running less than 5 times.