VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Skyride

29yrswithaGApass

I ran into somebody out here who is from Keansburg who went to the 1964 World Fair in New York. He was talking about going on the skyride back then. I told him that it's still around today at GA. He went to GA when it first opened and rode it there, but he had no idea it was the same ride. A true landmark!!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I work the Cables, although I was only trained for it mid-season when they were snatching attendants from other rides (my home ride was El Toro, then I became a regular team member at Green Lantern for a few months before being requested for training in the Loop, after which a full-time supervisor asked if I would be willing to get trained to work full-time at either the Lakefront or the Cables) . Since then, I'm here so often that it's essentially become my home ride, although there are some week(ends now that we're in late September/October) where I'm either in the Loop or at Green Lantern instead, depending on where I'm needed most.

I've had a great deal of fun over at the Cables, though. My co-workers are really fantastic people and the interaction at Western is probably some of the best I've had between team members. Our supervisors - Dave, just a fun, laid-back guy who I've never had any issues with - and Eric G., who has been working at the Cables so long that it's impossible not to learn something from him or admire how comfortable he is with the ride - are also top-notch, although I've been fortunate enough to have had generally great supervisors throughout this season.

Edited by SwedishSkinJer

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I noticed this while checking out the details in an aerial photo. Check out the guests waiting upstairs for the Skyride! This was prior to the queue bars being added at ground level.

gallery_2_579_396123.jpg

Well yes and no. The que bars at ground level inside the Fort was a small series of switch backs. 3 or 4 then up the stair to the next set seen in the picture. As a mater of fact the exit was down the front towers and out the front of the fort along the walk. And under the mine train brake area.

Those two lane mid-level queues still exist today and even feature the original queue bars.

I have never seen any photos or video of guests exiting out of the front of the Fort. Looking at the layout I can't picture how they did that given the limited space.

We catch the tubs and empty them out and the opening was on the right which lead to the door and down the steps. Load the the tub in the center of the rail. lock the door. and send them on thier way. The ride was manual then. ANd you had to wait to release it . which you had to wait till the tub reached the first tower.

Edited by FlumeOp1974

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

One thing that has always baffled me is that the Fort station of the Sky Ride is so massive and incredible and yet the other end (near Skull Mountain) is so simple and basic. I know the builders of the park started to run out of money the further down Dream Street they built, but that station has always been bare bones.

I seem to remember renderings of it with those arches, though they never materialized.

I have to wonder if along with the ride, the structure was recycled from the NYWF or Freedomland? I haven't been able to find pictures, but I would imagine that the Satellite City end of Freedomland's Skyride probably looked a lot like the Dream Street station. Not that there's much to it, but I could easily see them recycling anything they could to save time and money.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing that it's almost time for the 40th birthday/anniversary of GA. Almost positive the Sky Ride was the first ride I went on when I went there in 1974. Love some of the old-time photos you recently added. One of the most significant rides in the park's history.

By the way, will you be doing a 40-year collage of the park's history in July?

The web site looks fantastic. Keep up the good work!

• 3 months later...

One thing that has always baffled me is that the Fort station of the Sky Ride is so massive and incredible and yet the other end (near Skull Mountain) is so simple and basic. I know the builders of the park started to run out of money the further down Dream Street they built, but that station has always been bare bones.

I found out an interesting piece of information. The Dream Street station of the Sky Ride was definitely suppose to receive a healthy amount of dressings to make it elaborate. However, the station's "frills" (as the park referred to it) had to be cut from the project because the money was redirected to reconfigure the station's concrete approaches (for the incoming and outgoing cars) after it was discovered they were installed too high.