VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

The Dark Knight- New Themed Indoor Coaster For 2008

GAcoaster

So, tonight the Jackson Planning Board approved the construction of The Dark Knight. It will be built on the former Movie Town Water Effect site.

Also, the park will be removing ten trees to accommodate the Glow in the Park parade floats.

The "Relaxation Station" is coming as well, and it will be taking over the area between the Carousel and Paintball building.

Riverbank Cafe is being remodeled.

The strip of food stands near the LTSP entrance are being remodeled and they are getting re-themed with an indoor dining area being added.

A few more specs from tonights meeting:

- The extension to the Riverbank Cafe will include a 12'x24' shade structure.

- Behind the scenes, the park will build a 40'x60' fabric parade float facility.

- There will be a 20'x60' extension to the Human Resources facility.

- A 24'x48' shade structure will be erected for an Administration area in Hurricane Harbor .

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few more specs from tonights meeting:

- The extension to the Riverbank Cafe will include a 12'x24' shade structure.

- Behind the scenes, the park will build a 40'x60' fabric parade float facility.

- There will be a 20'x60' extension to the Human Resources facility.

- A 24'x48' shade structure will be erected for an Administration area in Hurricane Harbor .

So they can't maintain the rides, but they can build add-ons to the HR building (which is really just a trailer or 2.)

The park still doesn't realize their priorities... they can build all the great stuff they want to assist the employees and whatnot, but if they don't keep the guests happy, what's the point?

<glare

Here's the new trailer for the Dark Knight movie.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YWz3t9c5BlY

That'll be really creepy to hear that laugh while going through the queue or during the ride!

The Joker seems more like a serial killer in this one! Hopefully the park will make use of that laugh. A good sound system and a slight echo effect would be pretty haunting if it was used on a pitch-black lift hill.

Now that TDK will be built on the site of the Movie Town Water Effect and not utilize the old Chiller station building or queue, I can foresee that being gutted and becoming the new home to a dark ride (shooting gallery type) in the very near future.

If the section remains as Movie Town, hopefully it will be themed to something other than Super Heroes. But if it becomes a Justice League themed area, make room for more Batman and friends (and enemies).

From the Asbury Park Press:

$7.5M Dark Knight Coaster set for April opening

By FRAIDY REISS

STAFF WRITER

Visitors to Six Flags Great Adventure in Jackson next year will get to experience the terror of being victimized by the Joker while waiting to be rescued by Batman.

The theme park plans to introduce a new attraction in April: The Dark Knight Coaster, an indoor ride based on Warner Bros. Pictures' upcoming movie "The Dark Knight," which features the DC Comics characters Batman and the Joker.

On the coaster, riders will be transformed into citizens of Gotham City, a municipality being tormented by the Joker, according to a news release issued by the park. Riders will speed through six 180-degree turns, climb unseen hills and plunge into pitch darkness as they try to escape danger.

Their only hope of rescue is that Batman will arrive in time to save them.

The coaster will use storytelling, physical movements, video, sound and special effects to help riders experience the danger of Gotham City, according to the release. It will be located in the Movietown section of Six Flags.

The movie "The Dark Knight" is scheduled to open in theaters July 18. In the movie, Batman (Christian Bale) sets out to dismantle the criminal organizations that continue to plague the streets of Gotham City. He, along with Lt. Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) and District Attorney Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart) must take on a criminal mastermind known as the Joker (Heath Ledger).

Six Flags is on Route 537 in Jackson. It features the 465-foot-high Kingda Ka, which park officials say is the tallest and fastest roller coaster in the world; and El Toro, whose 76-degree drop is the steepest of any wooden roller coaster in the world, according to park officials.

More than 1,200 animals live at the park all year round, with most on display to visitors who drive the 4 1/2-mile auto trail through the park's Wild Safari, officials say.

Next door to Six Flags Great Adventure is Six Flags Hurricane Harbor.

The 45-acre, tropical-theme water park includes a million-gallon wave pool with ocean-size waves, one of the world's largest adventure rivers and almost 20 speed slides, according to the park's Web site.

For more information, call Six Flags Great Adventure at (732) 928-1821.

I really hope that the rumors about the inside theming being all but forgotten about are not true. The concept of this ride has been very interesting from the get go, and with it being not much more than a standard wild mouse and taking up only the site of the Water Effect, I can see it is possibly being an extremely overhyped dissapointment already. That whole area is going to feel so empty with nothing on the site of the Chiller for the entire season, and with nothing in the arena and still nothing new on the site of the Freefall tower, that portion of the park does not seem primed for mch more traffic than it had at the end of the season this year.

I notice the Wildmouse type coasters at Dorney and Hershey are slow loading since the cars only take 4 people. If Dark Night is just a indoor version it will probably have long slow moving lines. Still I will miss Chiller next season.

Edited by The Master

This might be old news, but over on Screamscape, they have some early drawings of the plans for the Dark Knight which have bother the Chiller loading station and the Observatory staying put and becoming part of the Dark Knight experience somehow. They also have the Hall of Justive being remodelled/rethemed to fit with the new Dark Knight Coaster. Very interesting to say the least. Hopefully more information keeps pouring out.

Edited by JetsDevs4Lyf

Alright! :cake-surprise:

I love that observatory, I'm so glad it's staying! And Chiller's loading station, I'm going to jump all over that think, I've always wanted to go in there. I wonder if they'll keep the mesh exit? I doubt it, but hey, I can hope.

I love that mesh exit with the blue lights. It's like something from Blade Runner.

That would be pretty sweet, I like the idea of keeping some pieces around from the Chiller even if only for sentimental value. While the ride was often a dissapointment on its (all too frequent) down days/seasons, the loading station, exit and observatory were nice theming elements.

• 2 weeks later...
According to what the size of the building will be, The standard mouse wouldn't fit. Despite the lengths and # of hairpin turns matching that of a standard, It's supposedly a custom mouse like Mullholland Madness at DCA.

http://rcdb.com/id732.htm

Mullholland Madness is not that much different from a standard Mack Wild Mouse, only one hill near the end is different.

You know it's been a while since I did rode many Wild Mouse rides but I do remember thinking similar things and you guys are right the forces on those cars and tracks in the turns have to be huge. But it does result in a pretty entertaining ride if done right so I guess it's all worth it.

After viewing the artwork and reading up online a little about the ride info we have so far, I am definately looking forwards to getting on this as soon as possible. Can't wait until that opening weekend overall and the opening of the Dark Knight. :)