VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2015 Speculation at SFGA

GAcoaster

So, now that the cat is out of the bag about Rolling Thunder going away, everyone now knows there will be a HUGE new open space in the park. What do you see happening with that and the rest of the park?

My personal hunch is that next year may be a "family" year with a flat ride (like one of those Aqua Twists) and kids stuff coming/updating (probably rehabbing all of Seaport). The next area for development of a coaster (either Wing/4D from B&M or an Iron Horse like SFGAm's Goliath) will probably be the Old Country area, and then I have a feeling that we may see the waterpark relocating to the empty Thunder/Baboon area and become part of the park.

Of course, if they can come up with some kind of deal for development of a hotel etc. like the town is trying to do, that could change or be accelerated. If they could get a deal to lease the land along 537 for a hotel, the money made on a deal like that could pay to relocate the waterpark (I think the cost was about $15-20 million). Being Hurricane Harbor sits right on 537, it could make a lot of sense to relocate it.

Honestly, a hotel probably wouldn't add that much more to the park's crowds and probably would spread the crowd out to weekdays when it is less crowded. Also, if a hotel FINALLY brough crowds enough to make an impact on park attendance, it would mean the park could finally GROW. For the past 10+ years the attendance has stayed steady, so the ride count has as well. If the crowds finally grow again, the park can as well. Park attendance is well below it's previous highs which is why the ride count shrank over time.

I think that in 2015 they will add a few flat rides in the area Rolling Thunder used to be in. We will be getting a wing rider by where the chiller was. Although this isn't very likely, but I said this earlier, I hope that in the future (maybe 2016) they add a wooden coaster. Probably something smaller like Rolling Thunder. Although of course, I wouldn't mind getting a wooden coaster like Goliath at SFGAm.

Honestly. I'm not expecting much. I don't think they would ever move Hurricane Harbor. They could easily run shuttle buses between the two and only have one ticket for both... But it wouldn't make sense to move all the existing slides. I also can't imagine them reopening Old Country when they now have this huge area (where Rolling Thunder is) to develop and expand.

2015 - Since 2014 is all about thrills, a new kids area near Kingda Ka or a refurbishment of the current ones. Maybe a family flat or two. If there is a new kiddie area there probably wouldn't be the budget for a new coaster. The children's rides aren't the super expensive part, but staffing them is along with maintaining 5-10 rides.

2016 - A new coaster near the base of Kingda Ka. Most likely a wingrider or smaller wood coaster).

2017 - Hopefully another expansion to the new area where Rolling Thunder is. I would like a small spinning coaster, or family suspended coaster, but those wouldn't bring in huge crowds. Another possibility would be a new water ride back by Kingda Ka. Great Adventure desperately needs water rides.

I think that during this time the park also needs to be re-branded. Locals see the park as an overpriced way to spend a day. People love the rides, but the park itself doesn't have a good reputation. Six Flags needs to prove that this is a high quality theme park, not just a Six Flags. And I'm hoping to do this they take a year and instead of using the new rides budget for new attractions, use it for park improvements. Most people will notice the differences. Six Flags could even market the changes (better crowd control, better ride operations, better landscaping, better food, rides running with less downtime)... If I were in control this would be my highest priority.

I can't see them not getting a new coaster next year, the last new one was in 2011. They don't seem to wait more than 3 years before getting a new coaster If they didn't get one til 2016, that is quite a long time. Although I don't wanna get excited about a new coaster and then we don't get one, so anything can happen.

I have some pretty good insider information about what is being planned for 2015, but I'm not too sure if I should (or if I'm even allowed to) say it. It is NOTHING that you all think it is though, I'll say that much.

You know, I think it would be cool if they made a coaster on the lake where they had the fireworks, and I mean the entire coaster on the lake. although that's impossible, just a dream wish that would never happen.

Honestly. I'm not expecting much. I don't think they would ever move Hurricane Harbor. They could easily run shuttle buses between the two and only have one ticket for both... But it wouldn't make sense to move all the existing slides. I also can't imagine them reopening Old Country when they now have this huge area (where Rolling Thunder is) to develop and expand.

2015 - Since 2014 is all about thrills, a new kids area near Kingda Ka or a refurbishment of the current ones. Maybe a family flat or two. If there is a new kiddie area there probably wouldn't be the budget for a new coaster. The children's rides aren't the super expensive part, but staffing them is along with maintaining 5-10 rides.

2016 - A new coaster near the base of Kingda Ka. Most likely a wingrider or smaller wood coaster).

2017 - Hopefully another expansion to the new area where Rolling Thunder is. I would like a small spinning coaster, or family suspended coaster, but those wouldn't bring in huge crowds. Another possibility would be a new water ride back by Kingda Ka. Great Adventure desperately needs water rides.

I think that during this time the park also needs to be re-branded. Locals see the park as an overpriced way to spend a day. People love the rides, but the park itself doesn't have a good reputation. Six Flags needs to prove that this is a high quality theme park, not just a Six Flags. And I'm hoping to do this they take a year and instead of using the new rides budget for new attractions, use it for park improvements. Most people will notice the differences. Six Flags could even market the changes (better crowd control, better ride operations, better landscaping, better food, rides running with less downtime)... If I were in control this would be my highest priority.

im not quite sure of what you mean in that last part but i think i disagree. by re-branding do you mean no more six flags? no! six flags is building the park up!