VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2015 Speculation at SFGA

GAcoaster

Was reading Scream Scape this morning and saw that they have a 2015 coaster rumor up and it states that the park might be looking into Rocky Mountain Construction to build a customer coaster along the lines of Goliath but "BIGGER AND MEANER." Also rumored to go under the lake, which I have always heard in the past was not allowed since Great Adventure was not allowed to build under ground level. They state of placement being in the back near the lake near the log flume. Now can this mean the park will get rid of the log flume in order to build this coaster? I really do not see any place along the lake open enough to build the said coaster with out taking out rides or the grand stands.

Ether way I feel this isn't what the park needs. Any one else have thoughts Also if this is in the wrong section of the forums I am sorry, wasn't exactly sure as to where to put this

Even though Goliath at Great America looks like it will be a great ride, I hope this rumor doesn't turn out to be true. The park already has El Toro as an "extreme" wooden coaster and I think it would be better for the park if they added a medium size traditional wooden coaster like a GCI that has more appeal for families (who miss Rolling Thunder) yet still enough of a thrill ride that thrillseekers won't ignore it.

This rumor makes sense...kinda. Back when I worked at the park in 2009 there was a strong rumor that both the Grandstand and Fort Independence were slated for removal. Years went by and there were no signs of construction. Excluding the underground tunnel (which would be insane if they found a way to do it) I do believe some sort of roller coaster is coming to that area of the park. Earlier in this thread another employee heard the same rumor as me but also says management wants a large coaster as soon as you enter the park. Fort Independence is directly past the entrance fountain.

Hello Everyone! Its been a while.

Ok.. so yes the whole tunnel rumor seems a little surreal. WOULD BE AWESOME IF THEY DID IT, but if not its no problem. However a new wooden rollercoaster would be absolutely appreciated since we just lost Rolling Thunder. Yes we do have an "extreme" wooden coaster already, but why dont we deserve another one? We are one of the top SF parks, and probably the biggest attraction in all of New Jersey. El Toro features a huge steep drop and alot of air time. Why dont we make a coaster that focuses more on the turns, helixes, and length. Maybe even a loop? I think even if we dont get a tunnel going under the lake that if we had a coaster that just traveled through the woods (areas next to congo rapids where the fright fest hayride used to be.) that it would be great theming especially during the middle of the night. More of a casual stroll through a dark forest... And since i know how much EVERYONE loves theming, and we are sick and tired of superhero rides, why dont we call this one.....

...wait for it.... THE JERSEY DEVIL. "gasp"

Nothing but dark woods, unexpected turns, a loop, maybe even do a little Busch Gardens' Lock Ness Monster magic and have a dark tunnel where u run into the legendary creature itself. We are New Jersey's number one theme park. I think its almost disrespectful not to name a ride after one of NJ's biggest urban legends. Just would be a perfect opportunity... since the rumor has been made.

Oh.. and maybe a full year where we try to Add a show into EVERY single stadium. I think its almost a joke that we acknowledge our arenas on the park map even though almost every single one of them doesnt have one damn show. not even for FF. Just food for thought.

I would just like to see a lot more balance to the park overall. By this I mean balance out the number of flat rides, bring decent family oriented shows to the arenas, return dolphins to the aqua spectacle, and strolling bands to various areas of the park. And, lastly differentiate the employees either with themed uniforms or by department. The planting of more trees is also very welcome.

This rumor makes sense...kinda. Back when I worked at the park in 2009 there was a strong rumor that both the Grandstand and Fort Independence were slated for removal. Years went by and there were no signs of construction. Excluding the underground tunnel (which would be insane if they found a way to do it) I do believe some sort of roller coaster is coming to that area of the park. Earlier in this thread another employee heard the same rumor as me but also says management wants a large coaster as soon as you enter the park. Fort Independence is directly past the entrance fountain.

I remember having that conversation with the employee you were saying about earlier in this thread.

With all the aquatic animals in the lake (go by Best of the West and you'll see tons of turtles and fish), I highly doubt a roller coaster on the lake is going to happen or go through with the state of New Jersey.

With all the aquatic animals in the lake (go by Best of the West and you'll see tons of turtles and fish), I highly doubt a roller coaster on the lake is going to happen or go through with the state of New Jersey.

I agree, NJ is strict about everything. That is besides the extra cost and upkeep of a underwater tunnel.

Edited by The Master

Please nothing else up front...ANd if the did install it in the Old Country were would it go? Out over the parking lot and work sheds? Now talkabout your theme elements! And your right way back when Great Adventure and The State of NJ came to an agreement nothing can be built on the lake. Boats fine. I belive the EPA in NJ still tests the water for purity.

I would rather see a wingrider than an RMC wood coaster. We already have El Toro which is the best wood coaster in the world, and that would be way too similar. A wingrider is still very rare, and we could +1 Cedar Point by building it a little taller and a little better than Gatekeeper. Maybe it could go over the entrance like Gatekeeper does since Old Country is right near the front entrance. As for space to put it, they have the entire Old Country area. I would rather see that section demolished and a new B&M coaster take it's place rather than a pointless unused section rot away more. Some would be demolished and the rest incorporated into Movietown to revamp that section. The Musik Express and Autobahn are beyond repair and they could just be removed. We already have bumper cars and we could get a newer Musik Express that was better and more reliable if we really wanted one.

^ Perhaps but with Bizarro and Green Lantern in the park I feel that any other B&M loopers put in would just end up being similar to what's already there as the elements are concerned, I'd rather see something completely different to the park, like an RMC or a Premier launcher. I do agree about demolishing part of Old Country though, use the space for a coaster as long as a path through to Movietown stays to get rid of the dead end in the park. Maybe a flat ride could be put in the old enterprise site as well.

Also welcome to the site Nitro#1! :)

Edited by RC98

2015 and Beyond. Here's what we got working for us:

1) With RT now gone, we do have a lot of new space in between Ka and El Toro to work with to expand the Golden Kingdom or Plaza areas

2) We still have a giant empty simulator building that is only being used to FF. However I think everyone agrees we would rather see a whole new attraction that's not just seasonal.

3) Arenas! Lakestand, Showcase, Movietown, etc... We have a lot of potential with these but we don't use them.

4) Old Country. Either add some Oktoberfest theme rides, or use it as a Holiday in the Park area. done.

5) Movietown. We still have Chiller's station. Im still keeping my fingers crossed for a Intamin Impulse Coaster :D

6) Expansion of the safari. We have a lot of land. And since, if I'm assuming correct, that the monkeys will be placed near Zumanjaro, then we have an empty, yet spacious area right there for something.

7) If I could upload this picture I took off of Maps I could show you that there is indeed a lot of wooded area around Congo Rapids and even pushing back to where Nitro goes. It is not impossible. If Cedar Point can make do with the little peninsula area that they have then so can we.

Side note: I thought when Green Lantern opened back in 2011 that they had a plan for the Simulator Building. Whatever happened? Or was that just a rumor?

Oh btw. Does anyone remember last year or the year before when they actually drained the lake? Would be a lot easier to build a tunnel if there was no water now wouldn't it? lol

It was only drained because a hurricane damaged the damn and needed to be fix in order for the wild life to survive. I believe they actually ended up capturing all the fish in the lake before they drained it.

It was only drained because a hurricane damaged the damn and needed to be fix in order for the wild life to survive. I believe they actually ended up capturing all the fish in the lake before they drained it.

Also, it was Prospertown Lake that drained, which is next to Nitro.

The lake at the Grandstand and Log flume is Switlick Lake. They are separated by a dam, which is why Switlick Lake did not drain after the hurricane.

^ Perhaps but with Bizarro and Green Lantern in the park I feel that any other B&M loopers put in would just end up being similar to what's already there as the elements are concerned, I'd rather see something completely different to the park, like an RMC or a Premier launcher. I do agree about demolishing part of Old Country though, use the space for a coaster as long as a path through to Movietown stays to get rid of the dead end in the park. Maybe a flat ride could be put in the old enterprise site as well.

Also welcome to the site Nitro#1! :)

I see your point about too many B&M's in Great Adventure. However, they are reliable good rides that run all day every day. After Chiller, I don't think that GA should be calling Premier again (building another Premier, especially in Chiller's spot. Also, B&M's usually have a high capacity (except Superman Ultimate Wait), which I think is a must for GA. A wingrider could have similar capacity to Batman. That thing moves lines real quick, and Nitro is even better. Wood coasters are mostly 2 train rather than 3 train and usually have a capacity of 24-28 rather than 28-36. Wingriders also have different elements, due to their train design. Gatekeeper and X-Flight have an inversion as their first drop, and they have the keyhole element which other coasters do not have. Another issue with a record breaking wood coaster is that it could hurt El Toro in the rankings by taking away enough votes to hurt it, but not enough to rank high. El Toro could also keep it from getting attention.