VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Universal Installs Metal Detectors at Coasters

jdc12192

Universal testing use of metal detectors at coaster; Hulk reopens

Universal Orlando has begun testing the use of metal detectors at its roller coasters, the company confirms. Potential passengers for the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit coaster at Universal Studios theme park started walking through detectors Wednesday morning.

"We’re testing metal detection as an enhanced approach to our safety program," Universal Orlando spokesman Tom Schroder said. "We believe metal detectors will help us identify the kind of items that we will ask our guests to secure separately before they get on the ride and as result make everyone safer.”

Signs near the entrance inform guests that they must "pass through an Electronic Security System" before experiencing this attraction. Visitors are instructed to use nearby lockers to stow personal items, including keys, phones and change. These items have long been prohibited, Schroder said.

Folks who do not comply face "removal from ride or explusion from the park," the sign warns.

In the testing period, Schroder said, guests walk through the detectors. If an alert goes off, a nearby Universal employee uses a wand for a more localized sweep.

Meanwhile, the Incredible Hulk coaster at Universal's Islands of Adventure, which experienced a technical glitch that stranded riders on Tuesday, reopened Wednesday morning.

Universal officials will study results of the test with the goal of using detectors at "several of our coasters," Schroder said. He would not specify which rides might use the devices in the future.

"The first important part is to understand the process and its impact on our guests. We want to get that right," he said.

Rip Ride Rockit includes steep drops, loops and passes over walkways and has a footprint that stretches from Universal CityWalk to the back of Universal Studios.

Universal has used metal detectors at the gate for its annual Halloween Horror Nights events. Disney World and SeaWorld Orlando have signs listing prohibited items on rides, but they do not have metal detectors.

In recent months, Universal workers have insisted that passengers store the prohibited items before boarding coasters such as Rockit, and Islands of Adventure's Incredible Hulk and Dragon Challenge.

The issue of loose items was raised after two injury-causing incidents aboard Dragon Challenge in 2011. A follow-up investigation resulted in a change in the way the dueling trains of the ride were launched, decreased the near-miss element of the thrill ride

This is a bit ridiculous. I feel as though that mandatory lockers/cubbies in the station for free, such as what Dorney has and some GA rides have, would be smarter and less annoying. People want their phones in line, especially in line for HRRR with constant long lines and the annoying queue videos. When i went to Universal in November, i rode HRRR and everyone was complaining about the mandatory lockers. If they get more complaints from this, i don't believe it will last long at all.

^ Evicted? Plus that article said they'd eject people from the park if they didn't comply? That's way out of line IMO. I hope this doesn't become a permanent change. Metal detectors at the entrance of a park I understand but at the entrance of every coaster it's ridiculous.

Edited by RC98

This may be the stupidest thing that I have ever seen a park do. I understand the metal detectors at the parks entrance, and they can be annoying at times. Most people obey the rules about not taking anything out while on a ride, although you do have your exceptions, but metal detectors are extreme. Guests safety as well as comfort should be a factor when determining park rules.

Imagine a slow day at Great Adventure and El Toro does not have a line, it will get very annoying going through a metal detector every time you want to ride it again. It will affect operations because you will not be able to ride the rides as many times as you should.

I would find this policy very annoying at a local park. I secure my keys, wallet and phone in zippered pockets and have never lost anything on a coaster and like having my phone with me in line to play games or check the message boards. It's too bad some people can't follow the rules and take phones out on coasters causing these policies.

I can confirm this we actually went to universal today and saw somebody get evicted because they wanted to take selfies in line for the roller coaster.

Good. I wish SF had some balls and did they same thing to line cutters. Parks have rules, and many guests are not following. In 2014, I got stopped on the lift hill a half dozen times for idiots not following the park rules for taking out cell phones. Im all for metal detectors at entrances of lines.

Its too bad people just don't obey the rules. I was on El Toro once and someone in front of me was doing a POV with their phone and over the 1st hill lost the phone and almost hit my daughter and me a few rows back. Then they were complaining to someone when we were getting off the ride that they needed someone to get their phone!!!

That is bad since RFID shielded wallets like I use set off metal detectors. This is just overkill and an unnecessary hardship placed on guests. Next thing they want to install the scanner booths the airports use now.

When a park has coasters going over the walkways and other attractions, they have a responsibility to keep people below safe. There are too many incidents at parks with people disobeying the rules and taking out cameras, phones, etc. when it it prohibited, and if this is the only way to stop it, it will have to be the way they run things. GA could do the same for Kingda Ka and probably operate it with Zumanjaro, except there's always some moron who will still sneak something in with them or insist that they have secured their items, but something still gets loose and flies out of their pockets. Here in Orlando there is an additional challenge with the foreign tourists who don't understand english and just do whatever the hell they want to all the time (hence photos/videos of guests riding rides with selfie sticks poking out of rides like Big Thunder and Splash Mountain).

^ Evicted? Plus that article said they'd eject people from the park if they didn't comply? That's way out of line IMO. I hope this doesn't become a permanent change. Metal detectors at the entrance of a park I understand but at the entrance of every coaster it's ridiculous.

To all of you guys who didn't like the metal detectors it did not go over well with Universal.

The metal detectors are GONE. They were there in the morning but when we went to ride at night they were gone.

The ONLY time many people comply with instructions of any type, is when there are immediate and significant consequences to their not complying. I think this makes a lot of sense for any park. If safety is truly a concern for a park, then enforcement of the rules must occur. Simply posting rules means nothing if they are not going to be enforced.

That would really get me mad, usually when there is a long line i just play on my phone the whole time, but that would just make me not want to go on the ride. I always wear zipper pockets to theme parks, they should at least let people with zipper pockets on the that ride lol. and speaking of zipper pockets, does anyone know were to buy a good pair of cargo shorts with zipper pockets? I have a hole in the only pair I have now and I've been looking everywhere but i cant find a pair.

I found one pair of shorts at KMart last fall on clearance for $2 since it was the end of the season, I'm not sure if they got them in for 2015 or not though. Before that I ordered them from Old Navy's website. They are very difficult to find.

Snap button pockets are good too. If you have secure pockets to store your items then there should be no need to get a locker. Everybody should not have to suffer because of a few jerks. One time I rode Steel Force a kid threw out rock candy, something no metal detector would pick up. Does that mean Dorney should install full body scanners for each coaster?

Edited by The Master

Your all taking it to the extrene. Really rules are rules. Their there for a reason. cargo shorts are great and most of the time are fine. But as a former Ride host guest relations host. If you came to me with a complaint about being asked to leave your carmera, backpack, phone, in a locker, knowing full well thier there. Id be polite undrstanding, but would it get you any were nope. " For your own safety and the safety of guests around you. we need to inforce their use. Again I appolgize, but the best Id be able to do is give a free locker while you enjoy your ride.. And please allow me to give a list of attractions that require thier use." Thank you and contiune "Having your own Great Adventure"