VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

New Holiday in the Park Festival Captures the Magic of the Season at SFGA

29yrswithaGApass

I can't wait to see what Adventure Alley and Boardwalk will look like with Christmas lights in addition to the ride lights from the Big wheel, sky screamer, and the boardwalk games. Also I really hope that Great Adventure does a light show similar to what Magic Mountain done.

Credit to Park Journey for the picture.

7435140_orig.jpg

Well this just changed everything with my wife. She was planning to cancel her membership to the park since she only went once last year but she is actually looking forward to this. Great job Six Flags!

1 to 9 is great. Hershey doesn't open until 4 or 5 during the weekdays they are open for Christmas Candylane and 2 on the weekend. With the early opening, it should be hopefully be warm enough for most days to get some coaster rides in if you get there at the beginning of the operating hours.

With the earlier opening it means they can get the coasters running during the warmest time of day which should be good. Of course they may close as the sun goes down, but then it's all about the lights anyway.

Exactly, I'm sure a lot can be accomplished in the first 4 hours of the park being open, also don't see most people going for the coasters in decemeber except a mere few. I'm all about the lights!

1 to 9 is great. Hershey doesn't open until 4 or 5 during the weekdays they are open for Christmas Candylane and 2 on the weekend. With the early opening, it should be hopefully be warm enough for most days to get some coaster rides in if you get there at the beginning of the operating hours.

On the weekends Hershey opens at 12:00 and stays open until 9:00 or 10:00pm. On the weekdays they open at 5:00 and stay open until 9:00 or 10:00pm.

I am interested to see what Great Adventure's weekday hours are.

The Friday after Thanksgiving should be a good day to go with everyone out shopping, I'd much rather be riding Nitro than watching people fight over "bargains" in a store that usually aren't that great for the trouble.

Great Adventure is going to have a pretty busy calendar this year. The regular season goes until November 1, followed by Grape Adventure on November 7 and 8, and then Holiday in the Park from Nov 21 through Jan 3rd. If they reopen on Good Friday like this year, the 2016 opener would be on March 25, 2016. That makes the off season very short!

That would be awesome having an off-season of less than 3 months compared to 5 months. I could deal with less than 90 days of no coasters a lot better than over 150 days.

It is nice to hear they are going to have a holiday event. However, they are going to need some indoor attractions for people to warm up in. That time of the year can get very cold, I often only go to Hershey's Candylane in Nov because it is just too cold most of the time by Dec. As for Hershey not running their coasters, remember Pennsy has a law that requires parks to follow ride manufacter's recommendations. So if B&M recommends not to run a coaster below a certain temp, Pennsy parks like Hershey are bound by the law to follow that (such as the no single rider rule on their ferries wheel years before what happened at Moreys). NJ surprisingly doesn't have such a law on their books since they love to over regulate everything. So NJ parks like GADV are free to ignore manufacter's recommendations which is a mixed blessing. However GADV still states weather permitting which means they will have to shut down coasters on colder days of icy conditions and the later in the season the more likely there will be closures. The rides will probably break down more often in the cold weather too, machines don't run well in cold temps and taking longer to warm up.

Many times by late Oct Nitro becomes painful to ride with the dropping temps, not sure how Dec would be like. Probably won't be many people re-riding it. In Texas and SoCal the weather still gets up into the 50s and low 60s, by that time we are lucky to break freezing for a the high. Our winters come in quick and hard, and the park should adapt their plains for our colder climate. Hopefully we don't get a extra bad Dec this year as it could kill the event or downsize it. I remember one year we had a cool June back when HH was open every day during that month and the next year they started having HH only open on weekends for most of June and have done so ever since. Because of one cool June HH's season has been downsized ever since. I would not be surprised if they only have this event only 1 to 2 years like with Winter Lights. It is difficult to keep a park going during winter weather.

Edited by The Master

Holiday in the Park will not appeal to everyone because of cooler weather just like the hot and humid summer months keeps other guests away. People will go if they think they can handle it. If not, they can cuddle up by a fire somewhere.

As for me, it is going to have to be damn cold for me not to attend!