VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Would GADV be better if it was owned by Cedar Fair?

Fgcassady

13 members have voted

1. 1. .

• Cedar Fair
    • Six Flags

People argue over whether Cedar Fair is the more successful or if Six flags is the king, but if one of their parks were owned by their opponent, who do you think will create the better park? Cedar Fair or Six flags?

Edited by Fgcassady

For the needs of the park at this moment, I think Cedar Fair would be the better owner. Improving infrastructure with fresh paint, new walkways, replacing the parking lot, and repainting about half of the coasters are really needed and Six Flags, while they have been working on it, are very slow and unwilling to invest. Cedar Fair parks also have at least some shows (stunt show, a Cirque show, etc) that Gadv could use.

Beyond that, rides expansions are all personal preference. Both do dark rides now, both do thrilling flat rides now, both do different types of coasters, both do family rides and water park expansions.

• Like 1

I'd be very unhappy if Cedar Fair owned Great Adventure for the following reasons:

No Holiday In The Park, even parks in warmer regions like California's Great America and Carowinds aren't open in December or most of November.

No re-rides

Seatbelts added to all coasters and hurting capacity

Heights requirements raised, Runaway Mine Train would move to 48" (when they bought Carowinds they raised the mine train from 36" to 48"!) and other rides likely would as well.

More expensive season pass

Season pass doesn't get you into all parks without an upcharge

Dining Pass is more money and you don't get a snack or souvenir cup.

Operating season would be shorter, I don't think Cedar Fair would open up Great Adventure in March.

Stricter coaster operation temperature requirements

Fast Lane instead of Flash Pass, unlike Flash Pass that gives a return time with Fast Lane you get instant access. There is nothing to stop someone from continuously riding something over and over again with Fast Lane and if enough people do that it can make the regular line a lot slower.

I'm not saying Cedar Fair would do everything I listed but they are possibilities.

• Like 5

Cedar Fair would likely combine Looney Tunes Seaport and Wiggles World and call it Planet Snoopy. And the superhero coasters would get generic names. Knowing what Cedar Fair did to Geagua Lake attendance could drop too.

Yes, they'd be better off. As the 2nd biggest park in the chain, we'd get some huge additions every few years, lots of repainting of rides and structures, more quality and quantity in terms of staffing, likely a remodeled front entrance, and reopened abandon buildings and areas.

One downside would be rebranding of themed attractions. Other than that, CF would certainly improve the park significantly.

Both ownerships would have their pros and cons... It depends on peoples personal preference.

For myself, the price increase and shorter season would lean me towards Six Flags ownership but more shows and better overall appearance could lean me to Cedar Point.

Back in 2007 when CF Max pass was $99.99 at Dorney Park (it was $170 at all the other parks) brought me over to the "Dark Side" for a year; which was worth it since we visited all three parks in Ohio along with Kings Dominion.

Now since its a large difference between the two, we keep going back to Six Flags.

Didn't notice the trash can overload Dorney has but I would like to much needed repairs and such; what if all the parks (excluding Gilroy Gardens, Great Escape, and New England because they can't counter any parks and the chains don't even own the same # of parks) did a switcharo for a year [DC minus Bizarro stays but Loony Tunes/ Peanuts/rest* flipped] .

*= any other licenses

I see the areas they share mostly as central Colonies(Dorney+GAd), Southern Colonies(KD+Am, Carowinds+OGa), chain capital(CP+OT, KI+FT), Great America's, California KBF+MM), Canada(Wonderland+La Ronde), Mid- America(MIA+SL), and then the last two pairs(VF+DK, WoF+Mex) witch aren't really near each other; and I also followed this most of the time for my park battles; Cedar point went against Magic Mountain[coaster # based], Over Texas went against Valleyfair [age in chain based] and Discovery Kingdom went against Knotts [chose to do]

Cedar Fair really needs to open their parks during Christmas time.

And if CF owned SFGAdv, this is what they might rename the coasters.

Batman=Flight Deck

Superman=Firehwak

Bizarro=Dominator, Rougarou

Green Lantern=Vortex, Shockwave

Dark Knight Coaster=Backlot Stunt Coaster

Roadrunner Express=Great Pumpkin Coaster

Cedar Fair might also change the atmosphere of some parts of the park, maybe add an attraction in the fort. Or add different shows

I made this a poll, go submit ur answer!

Edited by Fgcassady

So much would depend on whether you're talking about Cedar Fair as it was under Dick Kinzle or Cedar Fair now under Matt Ouimet. If you are talking about the companies as they are now, then I would choose CF. If you mean under Kinzle then my choice would have been SF. Ouimet seems to be taking the CF parks in a more traditional direction, celebrating their history and improving and restoring existing things. Kinzel was scorched earth, concrete as far as the eye could see and make everything very generic with no original charm or character that the parks were built with.

Of course SF is also following a similar path, giving the local parks more autonomy and letting them be unique again rather than generic cookie cutter Six Flags.

Although both sides have their advantages I'd say Six Flags overall since Cedar Fair would never have tried Holiday in the Park, and Cedar Fair would get rid of the Safari since they don't do anything with animals. Plus most of Six Flags's ticket and season pass prices are lower, and Cedar Fair has irritating weather and re-ride policies.

Plus knowing what happened to Geagua Lake when Cedar Fair bought it would make me at least slightly nervous if they ever bought us.

Edited by RC98
  • Like 1

Cedar Fair would probably invest in repainting and restoring most if not all rides, and I'm sure they would even add a sixth B&M coaster, either a wing or dive coaster that could break a few records.

Cedar Fair would get rid of the Safari since they don't do anything with animals.

They added a petting zoo at Cedar Point and Kings Island, something to do with animals. But they probably might keep it as the safari has been here since 1974, and it's a major attraction in the park with queues up to three hours long.

Cedar Fair would not get rid of the Safari. GAdv is one of the very few parks in the country that have the space and resources to have a safari, which is why the current CF parks do not have one. Since the safari and the finished product it is would come with the park's acquisition, I see very little chance they wouldn't keep it.

I think many of you guys are underrating CF as a chain. Especially considering the cash cow our park is, we'd be right up there with CP in terms of attention and budget they would give our park.

• Like 1

^ Although it was probably different circumstances back then, if CF bought our park today Geagua Lake (where CF removed all the animals) would still be at the back of my mind, which was where my comment about the safari came from.

I guess I'm still thinking in terms of Cedar Fair under Kinzel since that's the last time they bought any parks. However I'd still rather Six Flags own us for the other reasons I stated before.

Edited by RC98

The whole handling of Geauga Lake was a mess. I hate to be one of those conspiracy theorists but I really feel like they bought the park to close it because Kinzel didn't want the competition. When the impulse was added there was talk Kinzel added Wicked Twister later and said something like "This will show Six Flags" I get attendance was down but it doesn't make sense they moved the water park to the old Sea World side when it had way less than the old water park (and the major slide tower was moved from the old water park to the new waterpark). They cancelled the Halloween events and if they wanted the make it a small park again they could have either kept the old water park along with Big Ripper or a coaster or two plus some flats and kiddie rides. They could have even just kept the flat rides on the Sea World side with the new water park just to have some dry rides. The park could have probably been successful again as a smaller park.

Worst of all they gave no notice at all the park was going to close. At least Six Flags gave around 6 or 7 weeks notice that Astroworld was closing for people to say goodbye to the park and get their last rides in.

Not related to Geauga Lake but something else I thought about since my first post in this thread is Halloween. With how popular Fright Fest is, I could see Cedar Fair making Great Adventure's Fright Fest a separate ticket admission like they already have at Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland and Knott's. That would mean no more Friday nights for pass holders in the fall and park closings at 6 for pass holders on Saturday and Sunday with Haunt starting at 7. I know Great Adventure charges for the trails but $40 or $50 for a scare pass is still a better deal of unlimited priority entrance and trails for the entire event to paying that much for 1 night of Fright Lane or even 1 admission into Haunt.

I also want to say I am not all pro Six Flags and anti Cedar Fair. I think Cedar Fair could improve Hurricane Harbor if they ran it like Wildwater Kingdom with no tube rentals and plenty of free tubes for the lazy river and slides and no walking through thru lazy river allowed since everyone would have a tube.

• 4 months later...

Here is yet another reason I wouldn't want Great Adventure owned by Cedar Fair. They have banned snapping on flying scooters at all of their parks, something the ride was designed to be able to do. I know Great Adventure doesn't have flying scooters (some other Six Flags parks have them) but it is another example of Cedar Fair being strict and adding unnecessary rules.

Here is yet another reason I wouldn't want Great Adventure owned by Cedar Fair. They have banned snapping on flying scooters at all of their parks, something the ride was designed to be able to do. I know Great Adventure doesn't have flying scooters (some other Six Flags parks have them) but it is another example of Cedar Fair being strict and adding unnecessary rules.

Did they give a reason why you no longer can snap? Sounds like there will soon be no bumping on the bumper cars.