VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Justice League: Battle for Metropolis to Debut in 2017 at SFGA

29yrswithaGApass

Finally made my first visit to the park today. JL definitely exceeded my expectations. I saw a POV of one of its clones last year, however POV's do not do this thing justice. There were a lot more practical effects than I expected, and those last few scenes offered some great vehicle movement that synced perfectly to the screen. The exterior and queue were also very nice aesthetically.

There were a couple of issues, though. First, and this has nothing to do with the ride itself, but the area around the ride is extremely empty and bare. They did a good job of repainting/retheming buildings on that strip but there is so much empty concrete space. The fact that the cut through to the Big Wheel is still blocked off make it even more...odd. I have obviously been rooting for a new coaster next year, but in all honesty they need to funnel that money into adding more flats, shops and landscaping to this area. Secondly, there should really be an attendant where the line splits for groups of 1-2/3 or more. It kept backing up there as people were checking to see which line appeared shorter as opposed to following direction. Lastly, there were technical issues during my 2nd ride. It had a 10min breakdown while I was in line, and on the last screen where the scores were displayed the graphics stayed frozen.

Overall, amazing addition to the park. We have needed a dark ride for years and this really blows away almost every non-Universal/Disney dark ride I have been on.

What's the future of the Showcase Theater? Are they going to have shows in the building this summer? I have yet to see anything in there since Holiday in the Park, except for some dance competition a couple weeks ago, which had nothing to do with the park.

I don't understand it either. They own the rights to Looney Toons, so why not just play some episodes a couple times a day for a half hour while they don't have any shows going on. Put something in there so we have some show to watch while it's really hot out.

What's the future of the Showcase Theater? Are they going to have shows in the building this summer? I have yet to see anything in there since Holiday in the Park, except for some dance competition a couple weeks ago, which had nothing to do with the park.

Currently nothing planned except for some events.

• 2 weeks later...

While every other Six Flags park has received a near exact clone of the Battle for Metropolis rides, Magic Mountain's is taking things a little different by replacing the indoor queue with two pre-show rooms.

Edited by MarioSonic94

The layout is very different and it's MUCH more detailed. We have just 2 rooms that a queue runs through. They have 2 pre-show rooms where a group walks in, the doors close behind them, they watch a short "pre-show", then doors open and they continue to the next room. (Like Houdini)

In the first room, there's an insane amount of lighting and extra pillars that we don't have. They have a giant projector while we have a tiny TV you can only see from maybe less than halfway across the room.

In the second room, they have a lex-bot animatronic in front of Cyborg and a rotating laser gun. We just have Cyborg. Overall, that room is also very detailed, including the awesome-looking doors, and light effects IN THE WALLS! Our Cyborg animatronic is in the ride station, so they have him in his own show room.

Having the separate show rooms like MM really helps guests understand the story line and emphasizes the immersive environment. You're no longer just in line for a ride, you're part of the story. In ours, you really have to take the initiative yourself to listen to the audio and video being played over everyone talking while waiting in a queue for however long (20min indoors?). And since the whole thing is on a loop, you better be lucky enough to be in the right place in the queue at the right time to really see the interactions and understand what's going on. If you enter the room in the middle of the audio/video, you'll just have to try to understand it and then wait for it to start again to get the beginning.

I haven't seen any other videos or pics, but I know the other big differences in the two rides include MM having at least one extra room, a different layout, and a Harley Quinn animatronic.

Edited by Matt Kaiser
  • Like 1

I've never been a big fan of the pre-show concept. I know Disney does it prior to a few Epcot attractions, mostly to distract people while they are stuck in long lines. I guess for JL it makes a little more sense, although I don't really feel like its a build up to anything. For me, I don't want to get into character - I just want to get on the ride and shoot things. I get annoyed when having to watch the same ancient boring video before the Dark Knight. I think it wore out its welcome years ago, and needs a serious updating.

• Like 1

That's what gets me Six Flags, You have the same ride at multiple parks, yet they all have different variations. Like why go all out make the pre ride experience at MM one why and then, in a sense cheap out, at Great Adventure. I am becoming less a fan of them as time goes on. After this last trip to CP, Six Flags really needs to step their game up.

I've never been a big fan of the pre-show concept. I know Disney does it prior to a few Epcot attractions, mostly to distract people while they are stuck in long lines. I guess for JL it makes a little more sense, although I don't really feel like its a build up to anything. For me, I don't want to get into character - I just want to get on the ride and shoot things. I get annoyed when having to watch the same ancient boring video before the Dark Knight. I think it wore out its welcome years ago, and needs a serious updating.

I feel the same about pre-shows, when there is a line it is ok but when the ride is a walk on, I'd like to skip it once I have seen it a few times. One thing I like that Great Adventure does that I would like to see Disney copy is the queue line setup in the pre-show room. I hate at Disney parks how everyone crowds by the exit door or when the exit doors open, everyone makes a mad dash towards them compared to The Dark Knight where it is more orderly.

• Like 1

That's what gets me Six Flags, You have the same ride at multiple parks, yet they all have different variations. Like why go all out make the pre ride experience at MM one why and then, in a sense cheap out, at Great Adventure. I am becoming less a fan of them as time goes on. After this last trip to CP, Six Flags really needs to step their game up.

They are competing with Disney and Knotts at this park so they need to step it up. I wish it was the same for all park's but that is why SFMM gets the extra attention.

I feel the same about pre-shows, when there is a line it is ok but when the ride is a walk on, I'd like to skip it once I have seen it a few times. One thing I like that Great Adventure does that I would like to see Disney copy is the queue line setup in the pre-show room. I hate at Disney parks how everyone crowds by the exit door or when the exit doors open, everyone makes a mad dash towards them compared to The Dark Knight where it is more orderly.

It won't be a walk on for a while. Once it is maybe they will change it up.

It's been a while since I rode Houdini, but isn't there a pre-show there?

Speaking of Houdini, that attraction seems to get almost zero discussion here on the forums. I did it once, and have no desire to return to it. It kind of made me dizzy and sick to my stomach. All pain and no gain....LOL