VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

The Big Wheel - Ride Sharing

drdfresh

My wife and I were at the park on Saturday. The two of us were shown our car to enjoy the ride on the Big Wheel. The ride attendant then said another group of three had to join us in our car. Aside from a single rider, I don't ever remember having another group joining us in the same car. Is this a new policy this year? 

Was there a long line? I know there is a sign in the queue that says 6 per car but didn't think they usually put multiple groups in 1 car,  unless it is really crowded.

At one point in time we used all 36 cars. And always loaded the cars in groups of 4 to 6.. It wasnt very often that we forced 3 couples in to one car. And yes a wait time of 30mins. would be reason to revert to old loading ops.

On Sunday I was at the park by myself, and they made another single rider ride with me on Sky Screamer, anc they sat another person by me on Runaway Mine Train. Never seen the park do either before. 

• Like 1

I have had that happen on Sky Screamer many times. I think it's because they count up to 32 riders and don't ask how many in each group until they get to the last few spots open. I expect it though and understand why because of capacity. I usually prefer riding alone when I am a single rider but the only rides I would have a problem riding with others is Saw Mill Log Flume in the same section of the boat without the divider, flats like Deja Vu where you slide into other riders, bumper cars or Skull Mountain and Harley Quinn Crazy Train because of the shared lap bar.

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:12 PM, Louisatsweetlou said:

Most rides I’m okay with sharing- coasters I have no problem, Skyscreamer I have no problem

but the big wheel and skyway would be weird to be trapped with people you don’t know

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:16 PM, drdfresh said:

I t was a bit awkward sitting on the ride with strangers for over 10 minutes.

Right? Those are the rides to take your date on. Awkwaaaard

Edited by scott
  • Like 1

Yes it it can be but that is most park policies. And its inn the GA handbook for ride loading. If I remember correctly. ex. on log flume it as two in the back and three in the front when loading. Congo is pretty much fill the raft,  Same the Skyride two on each side. etc. They do it at Disney, Busch Parks and Universal as well. Max. out capacity on all attractions.

Skyway generally doesn't load multiple groups - the gondolas don't have to be balanced either. You could do 3 on one side and one on the other, as long as it's less than 4. I've seen some times when single riders have hopped in with other groups on their own... that's super awkward to watch.

8 hours ago, ThemeParkRider said:

Skyway generally doesn't load multiple groups - the gondolas don't have to be balanced either. You could do 3 on one side and one on the other, as long as it's less than 4. I've seen some times when single riders have hopped in with other groups on their own... that's super awkward to watch.

I've had the opposite happen to me!About 10+ years ago I got on Skyway at The Fort by myself,but then 2 foreign guys(possibly German/Swedish) got in also.

The only other time I "ride-shared" on a non-coaster ride was about 20 years ago on the Giant Wheel;the main reason I remember that incident was because the couple I was riding with said they hadn't been to Great Adv. since the '70's.

4 hours ago, ericthewanderer said:

I've had the opposite happen to me!About 10+ years ago I got on Skyway at The Fort by myself,but then 2 foreign guys(possibly German/Swedish) got in also.

The only other time I "ride-shared" on a non-coaster ride was about 20 years ago on the Giant Wheel;the main reason I remember that incident was because the couple I was riding with said they hadn't been to Great Adv. since the '70's.

Similar incident happened to me and mother, back when I was around 5 in 1990. Two german guys got into our car, only ever ride share with strangers on the Skyride. 

I only rode the Skyway with a stranger once. They were a single rider and walked into the car after me. I know it hurts capacity for a single rider on the Skyway but I'm glad they don't enforce having multiple people in each car.

18 hours ago, GAcoaster said:

It was much worse to have to do that on the bobsled. Telling strangers they had to sit with someone in their lap who they didn't know was really tough.

If there was still a ride in the park with a rule like that, I'd only go to the ride if I was at the park with someone I knew or if someone could ride alone if there was no line, only ride on low crowd days.

• 4 weeks later...

I was on the log flume this past Friday and the park is ride sharing the log boats. When the log boat is fully loaded with 5 people, it is bottomed out in the trough the whole time and the water splashes in really bad on the curves. 

6 hours ago, The Master said:

I was on the log flume this past Friday and the park is ride sharing the log boats. When the log boat is fully loaded with 5 people, it is bottomed out in the trough the whole time and the water splashes in really bad on the curves. 

We did that back in 74 and 75 when the water was higher. Not to mention we had more logs on it. And we ran all the pumps and the logs never bottomed. Six decided to lower it and not use all pumps(safety). But I think it causes more wear and tear on the attraction!

Edited by FlumeOp1974
type o