VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Drive Thru Safari to Return!

I'd imagine they would probably continue the drive thru even after the park opens just to make it easier with the social distancing restrictions and prevent longer lines with half capacity trucks. At least that would be the smart thing to do imo

5 minutes ago, SFGadv123 said:

I'd imagine they would probably continue the drive thru even after the park opens just to make it easier with the social distancing restrictions and prevent longer lines with half capacity trucks. At least that would be the smart thing to do imo

Half capacity trucks but also lower amount of guests too. It will probably equal out. 

Or, it just stays a drive through until next spring when there's a vaccine developed and it's safe to go "back to normal" with the trucks. They could even run the drive through safari through the winter and make up a little of the lost income. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I think they could make more money keeping it as a drive thru for now. A lot of people probably won't feel comfortable going to the park when they reopen but would be willing to drive through the safari and pay for that. 

• Like 1

Very exciting. The ticket booths must be in some rough shape by this point, they'll have to do some cleaning. That whole Exploration Station area has fallen into disrepair and been reclaimed by nature as it's been used to store and maintain the trucks.

I'm glad to see that they thought creatively to at least open the Safari. I attended the virtual SIX shareholders meeting on May 6th and there wasn't a whole lot of optimism. Keep in mind that their stock declined in 2019, and 2020 has been a disaster for them. They had to take a loan just to get them by, as well as implemented a poison pill to avoid a takeover. Jim Reid-Anderson ran the place into the ground, and left it with little oversees development and a high debt load. Meanwhile, the board members let Jim do his thing, and they all received their retainers in return. 

I surmise that the company may not make it if they are forced to keep everything closed all summer. It's a shame, but they just don't have a good business model. You can't charge next to nothing for season passes and dining plans, while investing millions a year in new attractions. 

We skipped Six Flags last year, as we had Disney passes. We had intended to purchase Six Flags passes this year, but will likely do nothing for now.

Edited by rj1972

1 hour ago, rj1972 said:

I surmise that the company may not make it if they are forced to keep everything closed all summer.  It's a shame, but they just don't have a good business model. You can't charge next to nothing for season passes and dining plans, while investing millions a year in new attractions.

Actually, Spanos and the Board of Directors have made the right moves to keep the company going even if all parks remain closed into 2021. Only three people from the JRA era remain on the board and one of them will be replaced soon.  It's difficult to comment on the future of the business model because Spanos had to cancel his investor conference outlining the new strategy.

19 hours ago, Medusa42 said:

Actually, Spanos and the Board of Directors have made the right moves to keep the company going even if all parks remain closed into 2021. Only three people from the JRA era remain on the board and one of them will be replaced soon.  It's difficult to comment on the future of the business model because Spanos had to cancel his investor conference outlining the new strategy.

I did notice the new roster of board members. Let's hope that between them and Mike, they can turn the business around. 

1 hour ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

So many people complaining about a per person charge instead of a per car price.  Great Adventure’s Safari has always been charged per person and not by car.  

Winter Lights was priced per car.  

I thought that as well but wasn't positive.  Its also cheaper then it was when it was only a drive thru!

48 minutes ago, hollyferry said:

Omg. These reservations are a joke lol. 

The site immediately crashed, and is still down. The comments on the GA Facebook page are insane. 

I can't imagine what will happen when the other parks come online.  I am getting nowhere fast with a reservation.

14 hours ago, hollyferry said:

Omg. These reservations are a joke lol. 

The site immediately crashed, and is still down. The comments on the GA Facebook page are insane. 

I am not surprised, its one of the reasons I dislike computers.