VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Drive Thru Safari to Return!

Six Flags Great Adventure Announces Opening of Safari

for Special Drive-Through Experience

JACKSON, N.J. ─ May 14, 2020 ─ Six Flags Great Adventure announced today that it will soon open its Safari adventure as a drive-through experience. This announcement follows New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy’s executive order permitting drive-through events implementing social distancing guidelines.

Six Flags Great Adventure’s Safari operated as a self-drive-through experience from 1974 through 2012. Since 2013, Great Adventure has offered guided truck tours of the Safari. Returning to a standalone, drive-through format enables guests to enjoy the Safari’s 1,200 exotic animals from the privacy and safety of their own vehicles, while allowing for proper social distancing. The theme park is currently finalizing new safety procedures to protect guests, team members, and animals.

To prevent overcrowding, the Safari experience will require advance registration using Six Flags’ new online reservation system. Once the opening date is confirmed, the reservation system will be activated to allow Members, Season Pass Holders, and single-day ticket holders to make reservations at www.sixflags.com/reserve. All tickets must be purchased online and in advance. Sales will not be available at the gate, and guests without advance reservations will not be allowed to enter.

Per state, local, and federal guidelines regarding COVID-19, the theme park and waterpark will remain closed until further notice.

About Six Flags Entertainment Corporation

Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is the world’s largest regional theme park company and the largest operator of waterparks in North America, with 26 parks across the United States, Mexico, and Canada. For 58 years, Six Flags has entertained millions of families with world-class coasters, themed rides, thrilling water parks, and unique attractions. For more information, visit www.sixflags.com.

SF Safari - Siberian tiger.JPG

SF Safari - baboon & baby.jpg

SF Safari - European brown bear cub.jpg

SF Safari - giraffe & jeep.jpg

SF Safari - male lions.jpg

Wow!!!!

9DE337B7-1876-4EE0-B2DA-E815D87FA084.jpeg

SF Safari - elephant & car.TIF

SF Safari - rhinos & car.jpg

• Like 2

Do we know if this counts as the park being “open” in regards to season passes? They said that every day/month the park is closed, you get a day/ month in 2021. I would be upset if this counts as being open because the theme park isn’t open and I paid for a pass so that I could ride rollercoasters.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mattkopp23 said:

Do we know if this counts as the park being “open” in regards to season passes? They said that every day/month the park is closed, you get a day/ month in 2021. I would be upset if this counts as being open because the theme park isn’t open and I paid for a pass so that I could ride rollercoasters.

I believe it isn’t counted under being open

• Like 1

Who could’ve expected this, wow!  The Safari is a whole different experience in your own vehicle (Thanks to that A/C on hot days 🥵).  Very excited to be back on park property soon.

13 minutes ago, EasternThrills said:

I believe it isn’t counted under being open

Yea, I just contacted guest relations and they confirmed that the safari opening is not considered the theme park re-opening and that the days will continue to stack.

Now that I know that, I think this is a great idea. Bring back the nostalgia, keep social distancing, make some money, and give people something to do.

• Like 1

Makes perfect sense really, it eliminates the need to run those trucks at a limited capacity as well as eliminates the need for the tour guide and driver.

The lines to get into this might be crazy long though with people wanting something to do while still staying away from others.

I think the goal is to offer something so that members continue paying their monthly payments, this helps to lower the monthly burn rate for the company.

Based on all the measures we have implemented and additional measures we could implement in a more prolonged suspension of operations, we estimate that our net cash outflows would average between $30 million to $35 million per month through the end of 2020. And this includes all operating expenses and capital expenditures related to our parks, along with contractual rent, interest and partnership park obligations.

Our $30 million to $35 million monthly cash outflow forecast assumes minimal membership revenue but no season pass revenue. 

Mike Swartz -- SunTrust -- Analyst

Okay. Just to clarify, if members continue paying their monthly membership payments, it would be upside to that $30 million to $35 million, just another way to say that?

Mike Spanos -- President and Chief Executive Officer

That's right. It would.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2020/04/30/six-flags-entertainment-corp-six-q1-2020-earnings.aspx

2 hours ago, SatansHockey said:

Makes perfect sense really, it eliminates the need to run those trucks at a limited capacity as well as eliminates the need for the tour guide and driver.

The lines to get into this might be crazy long though with people wanting something to do while still staying away from others.

maybe the return of the western wagon and the super teepee

Edited by harry2004

I'm so happy, I used to go through in my car all the time when I was little. I was deathly afraid of ostriches and emus. Does anyone remember the little park at the end that you could go to?  

2 minutes ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Very minimal - maybe a licked windshield by a giraffe.  The most damage was caused by the monkeys/baboons but they are behind a fence now.  Your car probably faces more of a risk in a parking lot.

I was really hoping that would be the answer!  I’ll make the 3 hour drive just for this. Thanks Great Adventure!

It was a lot of fun to drive through the monkey/baboons in a pickup that didn't have a cap or cover.  They would sit around on the bed rail as I made my way through their area. One actually tried to escape by laying down in the bed of my truck when we got close to the exit. The keeper came over and chased him out. I guess it was a regular occurrence.

• Like 1