VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Misc GA Mumblings

Up_Up_and_Away

I remember on this Friday night last year they had that sign up and I thought it was for the next day. Later on Nitro had a completely full queue which I thought was really strange for a Friday night so this year I was expecting it to be way more crowded than it was. I guess the forecast kept people away even though it stopped raining by 2:00.

As much as I like going to the park, I think I'd rather stay home than go when it is so crowded that they are expecting 2+ hour waits for the coasters.

Edited by Yoshi

I remember on this Friday night last year they had that sign up and I thought it was for the next day. Later on Nitro had a completely full queue which I thought was really strange for a Friday night so this year I was expecting it to be way more crowded than it was. I guess the forecast kept people away even though it stopped raining by 2:00.

As much as I like going to the park, I think I'd rather stay home than go when it is so crowded that they are expecting 2+ hour waits for the coasters.

I agree with that, if the lines are going to be that bad it's pretty much pointless to go. The opening marches to the major rides must be fun on those days.

http://www.sixflags....ndarEvents.aspx

Opening Day for 2013 is Saturday March 23rd. This is the earliest I can remember the park ever opening in recent years. That also means the offseason is less than 5 months.

Hopefully the weather works out ok. Opening weekend in 2010 was March 27th and 28th and it was really cold both days and the park was empty. Good for us, not so good for the park and I feel like that was part of the reason they opened April 9th in 2011, 2 weeks later than 2010.

I didn't know it was the earliest opening day for the park ever. I am hoping it works out well for them and they continue to open up that early each year.

Edited by Yoshi

I think a lot has to do when Easter is. When I worked at the park it was always the weekend before. And the latest i remember the park openned was in 1974 we were there until Thanksgiving weekend...And Dang was it cold. And FYI it. snowed.............

I was at the park last Saturday - October 20 - and it was beyond crowded. The park stayed open until midnight due to the crowds and 2 hour departure wait in the parking lot. We are going again tomorrow - October 27 - and this will be another very crowded Saturday if the warm weather holds. We like to get to the park in the AM and stay until maybe 8 or 9 PM. We bring at least 2 meals in the car and lots of snacks. We never buy any of the food there. We both have 2013 Premium Season Passes and one has the Parking. I also bought a Season Pass for the go karts for next year. We enjoy the park during the day in October with the fall foliage and the park decorations. After it gets dark the crowd changes and the park is just too dark. We went through The Manor and it was just mildly scary. I would not pay for that again. We have not visited HH yet. We had season passes to Mountain Creek Waterpark last year and it looks like HH is going to be a big disappointment. Anyone want to race me in the go karts tomorrow? :D

I think a lot has to do when Easter is. When I worked at the park it was always the weekend before.

Usually the earliest the park opens is the Thursday before Easter Sunday. Next year it will be the weekend before! Pretty nice considering Easter is extra early as it is in 2013.

I was at the park last Saturday - October 20 - and it was beyond crowded. The park stayed open until midnight due to the crowds and 2 hour departure wait in the parking lot. We are going again tomorrow - October 27 - and this will be another very crowded Saturday if the warm weather holds. We like to get to the park in the AM and stay until maybe 8 or 9 PM. We bring at least 2 meals in the car and lots of snacks. We never buy any of the food there. We both have 2013 Premium Season Passes and one has the Parking. I also bought a Season Pass for the go karts for next year. We enjoy the park during the day in October with the fall foliage and the park decorations. After it gets dark the crowd changes and the park is just too dark. We went through The Manor and it was just mildly scary. I would not pay for that again. We have not visited HH yet. We had season passes to Mountain Creek Waterpark last year and it looks like HH is going to be a big disappointment. Anyone want to race me in the go karts tomorrow? :D

Welcome to the site Rick! With Hurricane Harbor included in next year's pass hopefully you will be able to check it out. Just avoid the weekends in the summer!

It sounds like you may be an expert on that go kart track with a season pass for the ride, having perfected those driving skills all season!

Welcome to the site Rick! With Hurricane Harbor included in next year's pass hopefully you will be able to check it out. Just avoid the weekends in the summer!

It sounds like you may be an expert on that go kart track with a season pass for the ride, having perfected those driving skills all season!

Thanks for the welcome. I am not a roller coaster person but always go with a coaster person so what to do? In past years i would go on the flight simulator ride (bring it back please!) , the teacups and the carousel. I went on the go karts this year and found my ride! I do it at least twice a visit. I was also happy to see the Houdini ride open. In past years it was always closed when I was at the park. My goal for next year is to work up to the Runaway Mine Train and the Log Flume.

Thanks for the welcome. I am not a roller coaster person but always go with a coaster person so what to do? In past years i would go on the flight simulator ride (bring it back please!) , the teacups and the carousel. I went on the go karts this year and found my ride! I do it at least twice a visit. I was also happy to see the Houdini ride open. In past years it was always closed when I was at the park. My goal for next year is to work up to the Runaway Mine Train and the Log Flume.

Have you ridden Blackbeard's Lost Treasure Train yet? That is a really good starter coaster and tamer than Runaway Mine Train but still a fun ride. Also if you do ride Runaway Mine Train next year, if you are tall, try to sit in a front row of a car since it has more leg room and it's a lot more comfortable.

I would love to see the park remain open until at least November 3rd next year. The 10th would be really sweet!

Yeah that would be awesome. I remember in 2008 they were open Halloween weekend and closing day was November 2nd. It was really nice to be able to be in the park in November (and it was strange having the park open at least 1 day in 9 out of 12 months of the year), and crowds weren't as bad as a typical Fright Fest weekend but it wasn't empty either.

Darn that's a shame to hear, hopefully for 2014 with Halloween on a Friday they will be open the 2 days after that.

I was surprised that SFGAM was open yesterday from 6 to 10. I would have thought it wouldn't pay for them to open with school and work the next day.

It's nice to know that the park is opening March 23 & pretty funny because my boyfriend & I were just talking about that last night. What I'm not happy about is the weather that is forecasted for Sunday, October 28 because that was to be our last trip to the park for the season. I wish the park would take this into consideration & stay open until next weekend even if it was just on Saturday but I know that won't happen. So to anybody going today do me a favor & take a spin on El Toro for me!

It probably wouldn't be that difficult to open just a few rides next weekend without any Fright Fest stuff with the Grape Adventure event going on. I wouldn't be able to get there next weekend even if rides were open but otherwise I would even have gone just if Nitro was open.Every year I keep hoping they will try opening just part of the park during the event (Safari Kids/Looney Tunes Seaport, Nitro, TDK, Batman, Skull Mountain, Adventure Alley and The Lakefront rides would be enough).

Edited by Yoshi

That is where I will be next week. Hopefully Hershey Park or GADV won't flood like it did with the last hurricane.

Also I was at the park on the last Friday night FF and the way they handled opening was horrible. It took half an hour to get in after opening time because everyone was cutting into the admission gate lines, it was chaos. The lines also extend all the way out to the metal dectector booths, it was backed up that bad. The south driveway entrance I usually take the park opened 15 min after the North driveway gate so despite being there an hour early it was for nothing. All the other weeks they opened the south gate at the same time or a little early.

Edited by The Master

I wish I could get to Hershey next weekend, it's nice to see at least 1 park in the area open into November (not counting smaller parks like Sesame Place and Storybook Land).

I agree about opening although I didn't really have much of a problem, people were cutting thinking that if you had a ticket you didn't have to wait in the lines. I got to the park around 25 minutes before opening. I don't know how, but I got into the park at 5:34. I don't know how that can work on a Saturday where there has to be a lot more people than a Friday night. It's been like that every Friday night for the past month and with lower crowds it wasn't so bad but I couldn't believe how far back the lines were at 5:30.

Edited by Yoshi

You know that there are 3 sets on admission gates. People lined up in front of all 3 despite the set on the right side didn't have entrance signs hung up like the left and middle sets did. So when the left and middle gates opened and the right ones didn't, all the people in line for those right gates forced their way into the middle gate lines. I was stuck in a middle gate line for 20 min not moving because of all the right gate people cutting over. I ended up having to cut over myself into a left gate line since those were moving while the middle gates were gridlocked. Even though I was first at the driveway gate at 4, I didn't get into the park until 6:05 due to the park's poor handling of opening. First they should not have opened the south entrance driveway gate 15 min late after the north gate opening, I thought they weren't even going to open it they were so late. Alot of cars behind me pulled out because the park was so late. Other weeks that gate opened at the same time or a little earlier than the north gate, so 100s of people got in front of me right there. Second the park should have either opened all 3 sets of admission gates (it was crowded enough for it) or hang signs up saying those gate won't open. Also the guards should have stopped long lines from forming in front of the gates that weren't going to open. Both Dorney and Hershey are never such a mess at opening like GADV is. It's stuff like this that gives GADV such a bad image. That night the park had the secondary exit blocked off causing a bad traffic jam to leave the park.

Edited by The Master
  • Like 1