VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Monster Spin

29yrswithaGApass

Monster Spin was absolutely one of my FAVORITE rides at the park! I love watching the video of the one at Great America because it sounds EXACTLY like the one Great Adventure had. Those Schwarzkopf monster rides had a really distinct sound as all the motors started up, and then at the hydraulic piston began descending back into the ride as the arms lowered. It's one of the rides I miss the most now that it's gone... :(

Sadly I don't remember seeing this ride but I do remember the 3rd monster ride that was installed in 99. The whole time the 3rd one was in the park I never saw it running which was a shame. Both Dorney and Ocean City have monster rides but both share the same problem, they are very slow loading rides like a Ferris Wheel but there still alot of fun.

Edited by The Master

The Monster Spin produced by Schwarzkopf had a couple of HUGE advantages over most of the other Octopus types from other manufacturers. First was the arms lowered for loading all cars at once. Second was it had electric lap bars, so the attendant could release them all at once rather than having ot open each car individually. Third (and my favorite) was the cars themselves spun as well. Most octopus rides have fixed cars, but the Schwarzkopf model added the extra rotation of the cars.

The Monster Spin produced by Schwarzkopf had a couple of HUGE advantages over most of the other Octopus types from other manufacturers. First was the arms lowered for loading all cars at once. Second was it had electric lap bars, so the attendant could release them all at once rather than having ot open each car individually. Third (and my favorite) was the cars themselves spun as well. Most octopus rides have fixed cars, but the Schwarzkopf model added the extra rotation of the cars.

Dorney's monster ride also has spinning cars while OC's does not. But it does sound like GAdv's second monster ride was a nicer version.

When I worked on Parachuter's Perch in 1985, the Monster Spin was under the same Operations section of the park as my ride. The park had hoped to open the Monster Spin that year and even started to plan to pull together people for a crew. The opening date kept getting postponed until they finally gave up and waited until the next year to reopen it.

Sadly I missed out on the oppertunities to enjoy this ride as I didn not attend yearly until after it had already been removed. I have seen similar versions at of the parks I have visited sch as Dorney and whatnot, but it does look like this one was a heck of a ride with all fo the different spin points. I wish I had the oppertunity to get on this at least once, but this is why these soptlights are so nice because I can get a feeling for what the park was once about before the times I can remember. Great way to begin the summer guys!! :)

One thing I don't recall about the Monster Spin is the brown spotlight tower pictured in the photo below. I only remember the lights on the arms and cars illuminating the ride at night. The darkness of the area and the black paint scheme made a night ride that much more interesting. Does anyone remember flood lights illuminating the ride area?

151110710_14-063-Great-Adventure.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I must be the only one that hated this ride and I was only on it one time. For some reason I couldn't handle the up and down motion of the car as well as the spinning at the same time. Back in the day, put me on the Round Up, Scrambler, Bobsled, Runaway Train, whatever and I was fine, but that...not so fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

Does anyone have a picture of the Monster Spin sign? I vaguely remember what it looked like. I believe it featured the mouth of a monster with the words Monster Spin on it.  It was about the same size as the Dream Street Dazzler sign in the spotlight.  I remember the sign standing alone in 1985 even though the ride was mostly removed for refurbishment.