VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Anton Schwarzkopf

GAcoaster

On this day in 2001 the amusement and theme park world lost one of the greats...

Anton Schwarzkopf

1924-2001

To learn more about his tremendous work, visit this great site with a history of his rides:

Schwarzkopf Coaster Net

He designed many of the greatest rides at Great Adventure:

- Big Wheel

- Calypso

- Monster Spin

- Joust-A-Bout

- Enterprise

No love for the Bayern Curve (a.k.a. Swiss Bob)? ;) I loved these as a kid and enjoyed the GAH Spotlight. Wasn't the Panorama Wheel a Schwarzkopf model too?

Boardwalk & Baseball had an awesome Bayern Curve that shared GAdv.'s original theming elements. Long Island's Adventureland called theirs "The Flower Jet". It had a 60's flower power theme. I miss riding all 3.

Edited by Thunderbolt

Wasn't the Panorama Wheel a Schwarzkopf model too?

We haven't been able to confirm that yet. That's one of the reasons the Panorama Wheel Spotlight doesn't have a "Technical Data" box included in it yet. I have manufacturer information on almost all the early park rides except the Panorama Wheel. This seems to also be one of the only rides for which I don't have an inspection tag photo which typically states the manufacturer. The only name I have is the company which the park leased the ride from with the option to buy back in 1975. The Panorama Wheel was part of a package deal with the Rotor and obviously the park excercised the option to buy both.

Searching through Schwarzkopf Coaster Net, I came across the following Ferris Wheel:

http://schwarzkopf.coaster.net/ESriesenrad24mGF.htm

I know it doesn't match the Panorama Wheel exactly (perhaps it was customized for that park?), but the gondola bottoms bare a striking resemblance. The wheel dimensions appear similar, and have that small platform on the hub.

Edited by Thunderbolt

• 5 years later...

Schwarzkopf is my 2nd favorite coaster company after B&M. The looping coasters are a lot of fun with just lap bars and the loops are some of the most forceful elements I have ever tried on a coaster. The Speed Racer/Jumbo Jet trains are great too. I only have ridden City Jet at Gillian's Wonderland Pier and it was a lot of fun riding a coaster without any kind of restraint (they did add seatbelts the last few years the coaster was open). I am glad some parks like Hersheypark and Six Flags Over Texas are trying to preserve their Schwarzkopf coasters since way too many have been removed and they are becoming rare.

• 4 weeks later...