VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Fall Family Night 2008-- September 26th

Railer

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they are still saying the chance for rain during FFN goes from 60% when it starts to 80% when it ends. This time of year it always seem Fridays usually have bad weather.

Edited by The Master

Sorry for double posting, but I wanted it to be a new Post for the Time. I hope somebody made it in before 7, I got there at 7:20 and they shut it down right before I got there. They had a Guard blocking the Entry Road at the Guest Drop Off, and had every one going out that way. We talked for a few, and not enough people showed up for it to be worth keeping it open. The Guard said they might re-schedule, but I doubt it, the Schedule is too tight for the rest of the Season. I hope someone made it in tonite, and took some pics. I was looking forward to the Discount's in all the shop's more than the Rides even because of the Weather.

Well I got there at 8:40 and the damn gates were closed. Just wasted my time and gas :angry: . I did call them earlier today and they said the park would be open, I am really pissed right now. In the future if I know the weather is going to be iffy I should stay home since GAdv would probably close down early. They knew the weather was not going to be real good so they could have cancelled or rescheduled Family Fun Night well in advance.

Edited by The Master

Got there a little this evening, and got a few rides on RT in before it was time to go thanks to the park's bull answer of it was unsafe to operate the rides in the weather conditions. Kinda annoyed at the way it all played out as a whole and the attitudes of some of those working at the park tonight.

Edit: The talk about the rides not being able to run safely in the weather was pretty much the talk of a number of people coming out of the park at its closing after having spoken to park personnel. Had I decided to talk to them I likely would have had my pass revoked so.

Edited by JetsDevs4Lyf

They said the park closed because it was unsafe to operate the rides? It only misted/drizzled the entire night and at 7:30 it wasn't even raining. Plus there was always Skull Mountain and the Dark Knight.

I was there from around 5:15 to the 7:30 closing no lines for anything, Nitro was closed the entire time, I didn't see KK run once but others said it ran a few cycles. Batman was closed most of the time as well. I would guess around 200 people at most were in the park tonight.

Edited by Yoshi

I was very disappointed in what was actually open. Nitro was the one ride that I wanted to get on while there. Granted there were no lines on any of the other attractions that you could have wanted to, it just seemed like the park could have seen this coming with the weather report and decided to put it off to another day as a whole. They could not have thought they were going to get a huge crowd with forecasts for thundershowers and stuff, so with deciding to open the event anyway they should have made the commitment to those who did show and stayed open. Some of the decision making behind this whole night seems to have been done using logic I can't grasp at this point.

I even called before I left and asked if the park was going to be open and what the time the park would be open. They said it would be open and be open from 5 - 10. I agree that had to have known hardly anyone would show up. I guess they figured it wasn't worth it to run the coasters with single digit riders (and in most cases less than 5 riders) on basically everything except El Toro which didn't even have half full trains but they didn't want to tell people they were closing the park due to attendance. I am satisfied with the amount of rides I did get in that short time but it would have been nice to stay until 10:00.

Edited by Yoshi

I even called before I left and asked if the park was going to be open and what the time the park would be open. They said it would be open and be open from 5 - 10. I agree that had to have known hardly anyone would show up. I guess they figured it wasn't worth it to run the coasters with single digit riders (and in most cases less than 5 riders) on basically everything except El Toro which didn't even have half full trains but they didn't want to tell people they were closing the park due to attendance. I am satisfied with the amount of rides I did get in that short time but it would have been nice to stay until 10:00.

I called them today too and they said it would be open. This is not the first time GAdv closed down early, I remember a few years ago in the spring they closed down at 1:00 PM claiming there was lightning. But there was no lightning or even any rain it was just not crowded enough to suit them to be open. Tonight the park was just badly mismanaged.

Edited by The Master

The park ALWAYS has the intention of being open on a scheduled operating day. Had they not opened, there would have been a crowd of 5,000 at the gate waiting to get in. They took the chance and opened, and obviously they didn't get enough people out there to justify staying open. It's happened before and it will happen again. That's why we decided NOT to go...knowing the park would probably not be open for long, and knowing that in drizzle and rain riding coasters is not exactly the most fun thing in the world.

It's one of those things where, yes, it's unfortunate they couldn't justify staying open, but for Season Pass holders, this was a bonus, not like the only chance they had to go to the park. I understand the disappointment of the park closing, but it's not like with your pass you won't have more days you can go. And the first two Friday nights in October will be dead, but with all the Fright Fest stuff up and running. Go one of those nights and you'll have a better time than you would have in the rain last night.

Unfortunately some of us don't get the opportunity to go until later in Fright Fest at this point which leaves us with knowing we are walking into madness in the park. And I do understand that this was simply supposed to be a bonus for pass holders, but at the same time if they could have sensed a closing coming I would have rather them decided to do it ahead of time and saved many people the trip to the park at all instead of the snide remarks about them closing when people arrived. Hell I had to sit on Rolling Thunder for 5 minutes without a dispatch and none else trying to get on because the operator as sitting with his head down behind the operating panel. It wasn't until one of the other guys helping run the ride said something to him that he realized anyone was there and when i jokingly said I thought you were sleeping, he said I still should be but we're still open. If people were going to be that sarcastic about stuff towards those of us who decided to still come, what kind of bonus is that. All it did was push me that closer to avoiding a pass next year as the benefits outside of price are beginning to pull even with the aggravation factors the park hasn't showed me in a couple of years.

They said the park closed because it was unsafe to operate the rides? It only misted/drizzled the entire night and at 7:30 it wasn't even raining. Plus there was always Skull Mountain and the Dark Knight.

I was there from around 5:15 to the 7:30 closing no lines for anything, Nitro was closed the entire time, I didn't see KK run once but others said it ran a few cycles. Batman was closed most of the time as well. I would guess around 200 people at most were in the park tonight.

The park closed because of INCLEMENT weather, it was not because it was unsafe to operate the rides. One of the reason they closed was the safty of the park employees, because it was getting really foggy and alot of employees have to drive home. Everybody who came in knew the weather had been nasty for two days in the area, the park decided to try and give it a try with opening witch they did not have to. Most parks do not have special season pass event for their passholder and yes it was unfourtanate that they closed but they atleast opened the gates. I can not eplain the rudness of the employees but it may have been because they had been complained at by the guest because we were planing on closing early. just my two cents

My friend Paul and I went last night. We got stuck in traffic and it took an hour to get out of NY, so we didnt get there untl 6:15. We rode GASM 2x, SUF 2x, Rolling Thunder 2x (which was running faster than ever!) and El Toro 3x. When we got there, East Side was allready closed. We were told the park was shutting early because they were losing money and they couldn't keep the park running. It was like being at Wally World but with the rides open!

After that, JetsDev4lyf, his gf and us went out to dinner. It was a fun night. Even though it was short, it was totally worth the drive and experience.

I was a little annoyed, but what are you going to do. At least it's only a 20min. ride for me, If i had driven from an hour away or further I would of been pissed. I understand the reasoning behind closing for a lack of Quest's, if they are not making any money by being open, I would close it too. Like GaCoaster said, it's not the first time, and won't be the last. And there is always this weekend anyway.

My friend Paul and I went last night. We got stuck in traffic and it took an hour to get out of NY, so we didnt get there untl 6:15. We rode GASM 2x, SUF 2x, Rolling Thunder 2x (which was running faster than ever!) and El Toro 3x. When we got there, East Side was allready closed. We were told the park was shutting early because they were losing money and they couldn't keep the park running. It was like being at Wally World but with the rides open!

After that, JetsDev4lyf, his gf and us went out to dinner. It was a fun night. Even though it was short, it was totally worth the drive and experience.

Now if only they had given you a copy of your achievement picture to take home, it would have been a complete night :P

No doubt that it is disappointing when the park decides to close early especially when it is a special event such as Season Pass Holder Night. Any business would have made the same decision last night given the size of the crowd and the weather outlook. The number of visitors at the park last night that I overheard today from one of the area managers was less than 500 guests.

The weather in the Spring and Fall is always risky and coupled with the typically lighter than normal crowd sizes the success of these events is affected by even a small fraction of guests not showing up. However, I give the park credit for scheduling these special nights for season pass holders year after year. It is not the easiest thing to staff the park on a weekday during non-peak season but they always try to have an event for their "regulars". I hope they continue to offer Coasters After Dark and Fall Family Nights in years to come.

At least many of you got on some rides before the park closed down early. I didn't get on anything, all I got to do was waste my time, waste gas, waste wear and tear on my car only to be greeted by closed gates and a return trip back. I even called 2 times and both times they said it would be open. If SF is just going to halfass special nights for season pass holders, then maybe it would just be better if SF does not have them.

^ Unfortunately, that just might happen. For years the park use to open for the season as early as the third weekend in March. Just like last night, the success of those first few weekends and the possibility of closing early was at the mercy of the weather. Tons of people would complain when the park closed early when crowds were small because temperatures were in the upper 40s/low 50s.

After a while, the park decided that it just wasn't worth it and now we have to wait until April to get back into the park each year. All I am saying is I would much rather run the risk of possibly having the park closed when it makes sense rather than not having the possibility of it being open at all.

I would not have been as angry had I not been told the event was going on as planned multiple times when calling before making the drive. While it's a short drive from where we left I still had to come down from Parsippany which in rush hour makes the drive a real pain in the rear. it just sucks that I wasted my time. Even for a couple of rides on RT, I would have rather saved my gas for something else. Hanging out after was fun for sure, but I just wish the night at the park itself had been worth it more.

I think the park should have told anyone that called was that it is very possible or likely that they will be closing early. That way people expected it and didn't have to drive up to the park only to be turned away or only get in a few rides before they had to leave.

The number of visitors at the park last night that I overheard today from one of the area managers was less than 500 guests.

I wish they gave the exact number since it really felt like it hardly anyone was there to the point that you kept running into the same people various times throughout the day and recgonized almost everyone you saw, it wouldn't surprise me to find out it was less than half of that.