VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

New for 2015 at Great Adventure - El Diablo (formerly Looping Dragon)

29yrswithaGApass

Six Flags Great Adventure Announces New Looping Coaster and Bigger Fright Fest for 2015

Six Flags Great Adventure, the world’s largest theme park, plans for more roller coaster thrills and Halloween scares in 2015. The 510-acre theme park, which was recently voted America’s second best theme park by USA TODAY readers, debuts the park’s thirteenth roller coaster — Looping Dragon, and expands its notoriously scary Fright Fest Halloween festival.

Looping Dragon Roars into Six Flags

gallery_2_994_1030408.jpg

In 2015, Six Flags Great Adventure introduces its thirteenth roller coaster, Looping Dragon. Twenty riders sitting in “face-off” seats rocket forward and backward pendulum style until the train gains enough momentum to complete a full revolution seven stories in the air. The coaster then kicks into high gear, completing full revolutions until it stops momentarily with riders suspended upside down, and then reverses direction for even more thrills.

Looping Dragon joins the park’s Golden Kingdom section, which is home to the world’s tallest and fastest drop ride, Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom, and the world’s tallest and fastest roller coaster, Kingda Ka.

“Looping Dragon is a great addition to our diverse roller coaster collection because it delivers speed and thrills that appeal to both our younger and more experienced thrill-seekers alike,” said Park President John Fitzgerald. The park’s roller coaster collection includes three of the world’s top roller coasters — Kingda Ka, El Toro and Nitro — plus unique coaster experiences that allow Guests to fly head first, stand and ride floorless. Looping Dragon will have a 48-inch height requirement. The ride is expected to debut in the late spring of 2015.

Fright Fest Terrorizes with Two New Indoor Mazes

The Northeast’s largest Halloween party will become even larger in 2015 with the addition of two new indoor haunt mazes and two additional operating days.

Circus Psycho, the park’s creepy clown section, introduces Big Top Terror, a 3-D, black light experience. Guests don 3-D glasses and wind their way through dark, disorienting halls, not knowing what is real or simply an illusion. “Big Top Terror will be a coulrophobiac’s worst nightmare,” said Tony Mandile, Fright Fest’s special effects expert.

Across the park in Movietown, guests can experience the terror and anxiety of death row in Condemned. Once they enter the dismal halls of this maximum security prison, they must fight to make it out alive.

Fright Fest runs weekends plus Columbus Day September 18 through November 1, 2015.

New Outdoor Grill and Upgraded Cabana Cove at Hurricane Harbor

Guests can enjoy the delicious smell and taste of freshly-grilled food when Six Flags Hurricane Harbor debuts its new, outdoor grill. This open-air kitchen will feature giant turkey legs, hot dogs, hamburgers and Mexican-style steak. The park will also introduce an upgraded Cabana Cove, with new, luxury cabanas surrounded by a lush, tropical landscape.

For more information about upcoming 2015 Six Flags rides and attractions, including a video highlighting the new rides and attractions, visit www.sixflags.com/2015news.

2015 Season Passes at Lowest Price of the Year

Six Flags is also announcing the start of 2015 Season Pass sales with a limited time offer thru Labor Day weekend featuring the lowest prices of the year on 2015 Passes. August 28 through November 2, guests will receive a free upgrade to a Gold Season Pass with each two-pack Pass purchased. Gold Season Passes include admission to both Six Flags Great Adventure and Hurricane Harbor, and any other Six Flags theme park, as well as free parking and special admission offers for friends. Great discounts are available for renewing Season Pass holders. 2015 Season Passes provide unlimited visits any operating day for the rest of 2014 (including park admission to Fright Fest®) and all of 2015.

About Six Flags Entertainment Corporation
Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is the world’s largest regional theme park company with $1.1 billion in revenue and 18 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. For more than 50 years, Six Flags has entertained millions of families with world-class coasters, themed rides, thrilling water parks and unique attractions, including up-close animal encounters, Fright Fest® and Holiday in the Park®. For more information, visit www.sixflags.com/2015news.

Do they really need more cabanas in hurricane harbor? I guess I should be happy that they are doing something new there.

Since they call this a coaster, does that mean chances for one are lower next year seeing they dont usually add one 2 years in a row.

• Like 1

what a HUGE disappointment. And calling it a coaster, what a JOKE. Its a glorified looking carnival ring of fire. And the GP aren't stupid, they know a ring of fire, that they can ride at every carnival, is NOT a coaster.

Edited by DANofNJ
  • Like 1

Why its new its dependable (key word). And after the major cost over runs the last few years...Ill take it! And besides, another mulit million protype thats got more down time the any off the self isnt a money maker...Id have taken a boat load of off the shelf highly themed attractions then a mulit million dollar Gee aint it high! Drop that doesnt work according to the hype...

Edited by FlumeOp1974

Well I gotta say it's pretty funny hearing trying to pull off this being a coaster for our and like 3 other Six Flags parks who are getting the same thing. We all know this is NOT a coaster and its shameful to hear them try to pull it off as one.

I enjoy the park as is and now there is another ride i can enjoy with my youngest daughter, I'm happy with the addition. We know another coaster will come eventually. Enjoy what we have and look forward to what is to come in the future. I don't expect the Looping Dragon is a huge drain on the budget, maybe there will be some improvements to the park that wouldn't be announced.

And after the talk on the site its good to know Bizzaro is staying.

Edited by scott

OK, so, it is what it is. I assume they'll be making the backwards batman announcement at a later date?

As for the Looping Dragon, 7 stories is higher than your typical carnival ring of fire, right? I'm trying to find some sort of reason this would be better than the standard carnival version. Obviously we want big, awesome rides every year, but there's still 2 reasons this ride will be good. 1) It's a flat (I'm not calling it a coaster) which will help to disperse some of the crowd without taking up a big footprint in the park. 2) Hopefully, the path between GK and PDC will open back up and create a MUCH nicer flow on that side of the park.

Everybody always asks for inverting flats - and now that one is announced everyone complains. I think that for what it is, Looping Dragon will be a fun ride, and it will help to complete the Golden Kingdom area. I'm worried that the capacity will be a bit too low for Great Adventure, but I'm sure they'll have an efficient crew running the ride.

I don't know why they are calling this a coaster. It is a flat ride, and should be called that. I'm sure people will go on it, but it is a flat ride and should be considered that. However, it will add a ride to the Golden Kingdom which is needed.

RCDB,com does not consider "Ring of FIre" at Clementon Park a Rollercoaster so Gadv should not call this a coaster either.

I don't mind getting this but I am starting to get concern on who makes all these decisions? After sending surveys asking what the general public wants, how did they come up with this "coaster", more cabanas at Hurricane Harbor and more Fright Fest (upcharge probably) attractions? Did anyone see those suggestions in the surveys?

I'm sure they will announce Batman going backwards in the future... why else would they show 1993 backwards? Lightnin' Loops closed in 1992?

Edited by robertleax

I'm sorry, but Six Flags marketing this as a new roller coaster is actually insulting to the loyal fans of the park, such as us.

It is pathetically laughable that there is an attempt being made to market this as a roller coaster. The general public, as not-so-bright as they can be sometimes, even know this is nothing but a mere carnival ride being added to "a world class theme park." Just have a look at the Great Adventure Facebook page's post regarding "Looping Dragon." Even the public knows and are saying this should not be called a roller coaster, and 75% of the posts about this announcement are not in favor of this ride.

I'm not complaining that we are getting a new ride - that's great - but it is extremely angering and frustrating to see the park blatantly try to misconstrue the truth about what this ride really is. What's the harm in marketing this as a looping thrill ride? Why the need to call it a roller coaster and "part of our unique roller coaster collection?" Completely disrespectful. If you want to market a new roller coaster, spend the money and install a real one instead of pissing lots of people off. The lack of effort being put forward here is pitiful, laughable, and as others previously stated, embarrassing to the highest degree.

The name, "Looping Dragon," sounds like something that belongs at Sesame Place or Land or Land of Make Believe. The theme doesn't fit into the Golden Kingdom all too well, nor does the mediocre name. The ride itself is a generic ride experience (Not a unique one as they say )found at any local fair. The fact this ride is opening late spring 2015 is pathetic, what park can't have a Ring of Fire built and operating by opening day? Carnivals put these rides up in 2 days!

There's so much false and twisted marketing going on here for literally next to nothing it is angering! The park should have learned from the Dark Knight that honesty is the best policy. Stop misleading the guests that so loyally shell out tons of money into your park.

• Like 1