VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

What removed non-ride do you miss the most?

Theme parks are always changing and Great Adventure is no exception. What non-ride attraction, show, shop, foodstand, event, etc. from seasons-past do you miss the most?

For me, I miss the Garden of Marvels. It was always fun feeling like a giant while strolling through the miniature village. The trains, boats, and moving cars just brought that whole section to life.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't really say I have a favorite, but the first one that comes to mind is the old Viper queue area. Before it became a little run down, I always enjoyed walking past the section even if I didn't ride. I remember standing in line for Viper and watching the western theme comedy show they performed there.

Pete

The Great Arena and Super Teepee were mainstays of the park that never should of changed! I can't believe that the management hasn't torn down the Yum Yum Palace and the other orginal buildings that made Great Adventure what it was and is today! Change for the sake of change isn't always a good thing. The shows in the Great Arena would be so great today, it is too bad no one can see anything like them now! Miniture Village also was a really neat thing, alot of hard work went in to that to be torn out and replaced with... what?

Edited by Gary Hill

^The teepee wasn't taken down just for the sake of change -- it was a matter of structural issues and safety. It was built with the logs submerged right into the ground and, after 30+ years of direct exposure to moisture, insects etc., it was beyond repair. With the way it was built, there was practically nothing they could have done as a preventative measure, either...

The Garden of Marvels (miniature landmarks, etc.) wasn't owned by GA, it was leased. After it's tenure in the park, it returned to it's home in Europe.

^^The themed music was there up until the dawn of "Six Flags Radio," I'd say it's last season was either 2005 or 2006. The lakefront music was a series of instrumental sea chanteys and the area of the four tents featured whimsical turn-of-the-century music in the vein of "The Entertainer."

• 3 months later...

I think I most miss the Stunt Show on the Lake. A much as I love rides, I can spend an entire day at a theme park just watching shows and walking around, and that was the type of show that I would definitely allot some time to. And no matter how many times I had seen it, I would continue to go back and watch it again.

^The teepee wasn't taken down just for the sake of change -- it was a matter of structural issues and safety. It was built with the logs submerged right into the ground and, after 30+ years of direct exposure to moisture, insects etc., it was beyond repair. With the way it was built, there was practically nothing they could have done as a preventative measure, either...

With all due respect, "The Super Teepee" could have been rebuilt from scratch for probably as little as $30,000. Management probably decided against spending the paltry sum to rebuild it, because the facility sat mostly vacant and generated zero revenue the previous season. It was "easy pickings" to eliminate. Sadly, nobody was able to successfully quantify its aesthetic/atmospheric value on an Excel spreadsheet. The "Main Street JumboTron" probably cost more than a new "Super Teepee", and I can assure you its not generating enough ad revenue to pay for itself yet.

While it's quasi-ride related, I miss the incandescent lighting that was once prominent in the theme park. Rides like "Traffic Jam", "Enterprise", "Calypso", "The Flying Wave", "Super Roundup", "Scrambler" and "Pretty Monster" really did a lot to brighten the now either dark or halogen lit sections of the park with their elaborate lighting. Didn't trees in the park used to be strung with clear/white string lighting near "The Big Wheel"? There are too many dark sections of the park.

Can we please get some new trees planted in all the non-canopied areas too?

Edited by Thunderbolt

^^ Thunderbolt, when the canvas on the Super Teepee had to be replaced after being destroyed during the winter of 1974-75 it cost $300K to replace. (That was just the canvas in 1975 dollars.)

Other than the lights on the rides, the park use to be illuminated with spotlights mounted in the trees that were aimed upwards towards the leaves. You can see the lighting effect in this early postcard.

gallery_2_43_605226.jpg

^^ Thunderbolt, when the canvas on the Super Teepee had to be replaced after being destroyed during the winter of 1974-75 it cost $300K to replace. (That was just the canvas in 1975 dollars.)

Damn! I was referring to structural costs, but I would think a new canvas could be procured more cheaply. It won't be the hand painted canvas Warner LeRoy commissioned for his "Enchanted Forrest", but I would hope something could be arranged. I stand corrected on the cost.

Other than the lights on the rides, the park use to be illuminated with spotlights mounted in the trees that were aimed upwards towards the leaves. You can see the lighting effect in this early postcard.

I wish the park would reintroduce these or at least consider incorporating stage lighting. Dark areas of the park are more foreboding than inviting, and ruin the idea of a "safe and clean" park in my opinion.

Damn! I was referring to structural costs, but I would think a new canvas could be procured more cheaply. It won't be the hand painted canvas Warner LeRoy commissioned for his "Enchanted Forrest", but I would hope something could be arranged. I stand corrected on the cost.

I am sure that was a top of the line one as it lasted for about 20 years. Maybe they went cheap on the first one in 1974 and learned their lesson! :P