VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

August 29th- New "Record Breaking" Attraction Being Announced

Let's be real, the only record-breaking ride that SF will buy in its current MO is a drop tower. Unless it's some stupid record, e.g., "world's steepest racing coaster," it's either a drop tower or something less exciting, like a largest-of-its-kind flat.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that were to ever happen it would be one hell of a hike from Nitro to the wave pool!

That would be insane, but I'm sure drink stands from Kingda ka to the waterpark would be the parks highest profit stand. LOL

As for next years attraction, I'm curious where the location will be. There's so many possible spots for a tower.

Latest rumors I've heard while working is that this is the last year for Rolling Thunder, it will be torn down in the off season. Also, a new version of Stuntmans Freefall might be affixed to the back side of Kingda Ka

From Screamscape:

Park News - (8/9/13) This may just be someone’s panic talking… or a wild rumor with no merit, but better safe than sorry. According to an e-mail warning sent into Screamscape, the following warning was issued:
“Ride Rolling Thunder while you can”.
Take that for what you will...

I still don't believe the Rolling Thunder rumors. It really isn't too rough, especially for it's age. I have been on FAR rougher coasters...Even Twister at Knoebels was rougher! It's still fairly popular (probably more-so than the Runaway Mine Train), and the park has recently spent a good amount of time and resources repairing the ride. Plus, it wouldn't make sense to begin a new sponsorship in July (Twix) when they plan on removing the ride at the end of the season.

What Rolling Thunder needs is a major refurbishment. The old skids and trains need to go. A couple of the hills after the first turnaround could use a retracking, along with the final turn into the brakes.

Rolling Thunder has tons of potential. It could be one of the best coasters in the park. It doesn't need to be removed and it wouldn't make sense for Six Flags to remove it.

Sponsorships don't save rides. Scream Machine was plastered in ads right up until it was scrapped. While I'll be pretty bummed if they take out RT as it was one of the roller coasters I loved as a kid, I'll be interested to sede what they put in its place.

My only issue is that amount of blank space we already have in the park from other removals that have still yet to be filled. Hopefully SOMETHING is on tap for them at the very least.

That and some new entertainment offerings in our 3 empty show venues.

I think the idea for removing Rolling Thunder is to make room for a pathway to the backside of KK's tower where a drop ride would be mounted. Though I would think there must be a route that doesn't need the removal of RT.

I still can't believe how/why they would mount a drop tower to Kingda Ka for a few reasons.

1-The tower doesn't go straight up like Superman does in SFMM.

2-After the first major breakdown they moved the line away from the ride so people aren't near it. 2 years ago I was taking pics of KK right outside of the park, several feet away from the black fence in the parking lot and 3 security cars drove over to us asking what was I doing. This was during the day, while the ride was non-operational at the time and the park was open. After I said I was just taking pictures they said ok and drove away.

3-At the bottom of the tower is the "heart" of Kingda Ka where the magic happens. Why would they want to put a ride on top of that in case they have to do maintenance?

I know a 115 degree turnaround would be fun. And how's a "high-five" part on the run back to the station before the last turn into the break run sound. That would only be possible if next season they upgraded "left" as well though. As great as El Toro is, is pales in comparison to the new designs on Outlaw Run, and the Iron Rattler.

I really hope they don't remove Rolling Thunder. It seems to be the biggest rumor that it will be removed, so it really stinks. I have a far hope that they will refurbish the ride but it looks pretty far. Has anyone ever noticed that when a coaster with 2 tracks at ga closes only one side is running? Like loops, or chiller?

Removing RT for the sole reason of making a pathway to Ka's tower doesn't seem to make sense to me (but then again, what does). It's a hike to get all the way to the tower and the turnarounds for RT, basically you're walking from the park to the old Exlporation Station of the Safari. Unless there was some huge Golden Kingdom/PDC expansion lined up, they're leaving a large strip of land cleared for either something big later on or just more dead space...

I just hope its not replacing something again. I wish the park would make use of all the land available and stop building on parking lots or replacing rides that are still keepable. :/.

I agree there where some rides that shoundn't of gone like hydro flume, rotor, and thing like that. I wound have rode park original any day too bad there only six left

(Runaway Mine Train, The Giant wheel, Super Round Up, Sky Way, The Flume, and The 19th Century Carousel)

I don't think it is going to be a new coaster, as much I hope it is, I just don' think it will be. Although considering that if they don't get one it will be 3 years since they last got one, so anything is possible. It does seem they usually get one every 2 years, with the exception of a few times, so they are definitely due for a new coaster.