VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

August 29th- New "Record Breaking" Attraction Being Announced

2014 New Attraction Announcement – August 29

Six Flags Great Adventure and its sister parks throughout North America will announce exciting plans for the 2014 season. Great Adventure will release details about a record-breaking addition that will surely top “must-do” lists next year. Information, photos and video will be available at www.sixflags.com/greatadventure

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Screamscape

Six Flags put out an interesting survey for SFGAdv guests asking them to vote for the best sounding name for an “Africa themed, intense thrill ride”. They were to choose from “Kimanjo, Zumanjaro, Kimondo, Kushuku, or Shango”.

This alone seems to lock in the location that the park’s next major ride will go in somewhere on the new Safari end of the park, no matter if this is the rumored freefall ride or something else entirely. As for the names… while Six Flags failed to explain what any of them meant in the survey, running the names through Google and Google Translate has yielded some interesting and even amusing results.
Kimanjo is the name of a location in Kenya.
Zumanjaro comes up with no results at all and appears to be simply made up, as if they tried to put “Zu” in font of Kilamanjaro. Sorry… as the old Disney ads used to put it, Nahtazu!
Kimondo is another province within Kenya, but also translated from Swahili as the word for a Meteor or Shooting Star in the sky.
Kushuku translates from Swahili as “Skepticism”
And finally, Shango translates from Swahili as “Chlamydia”. Ummm… yeah… they went there. Sorry… while Six Flags may end up starting a new Meme with that one, I don’t think we’ll be riding Chlamydia: The Ride anytime soon.
My vote is for Kimondo… as a shooting star is a perfect theme for a massive freefall tower I think.

Looks like the writing is on the wall

Edited by MarioSonic94

I'd love to see the park really go big next year and replace the entire blind jungle land/tiger/safari discoveries area if you wan it African themed, or put it in the movie town/old country area. Add the record setting drop tower, add a medium sized but thrilling coaster(something along the size and design of the italian job coasters) and a family flat like a new swing ride

if thunder was to go, it would have been a waste of money for them to replace all the rotting boards on both track in the past few weeks, the right side needs more work and is being done over night from what ive heard. so investing money for a few months seems wastefull, i hope it is something for old country to expand movietown and revive that area of the park that has been severly neglected in the last few years, all we can do is wait and enjoy what we have till then, dont forget Riding of the Bull is in a few weeks!

From Screamscape

2014 - Giga Drop / Giant Drop - Rumor - (7/22/13) I’m told that the word, Shango, as seen in the Six Flags future attractions survey, may have been leaning towards a different definition, unaware of the Swahili translation. It’s my understanding that Shango is a demigod / diety of the Yoruba religion that hales from Southwestern Nigeria where Shango is the god of Fire, Lightning and Thunder. This certainly makes more sense as a possible ride name, though the name also has many spellings as the story moved through the various regions and even into Latin America, Caribbean and is even said to be part of Haitian VooDoo.

On a final note, it’s worth mentioning that Six Flags also sent these same questions about adding an African themed ride to guests at The Great Escape and Six Flags over Georgia.
Edited by MarioSonic94

• 2 weeks later...

Today after my break since it was raining my supervisor and I were talking in the big wheel booth and he told me that he heard about great adventure receiving a drop tower and possibly a winged coaster that will most likely be in the old country area.

Still can't wait until an offical announcement of what were getting

I feel like a drop tower is possible, however just not on Ka. I cant see how it would work with how far away the tower is, plus the hydraulic housing right at the end of the launch so i feel if we get a tower its going to be standing on its own, not on Ka.

Also towards the wing rider statement, as it being promoted as a 'record breaker'- tallest?fastest?longest? seems possible, or is it a whole other type of ride like most launches,inversions or some other type of record breaker? Im just glad we dont have long to wait to find out.

if we were to get a drop tower on ka, it would mean that the long term plan of the park is moving forward, connecting hh to ga, it also means a path to the back side of ka, that would be possible by removing rolling thunder and creating a path that would start to head towards the old safari gate and swing over eventually torward hh