VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv.Debate #19: Be the first or wait for better

Be the first/Wait for better  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• Receive first-of-its-kind and prototypical rides as soon as they go to market.
    • Wait until the ride models are further developed even if it takes several years.

Great Adventure has often been the trail blazer with new technology and first-of-its-kind rides. While it does give the park bragging rights to showcase prototypical rides, often similar models which are installed years later are bigger and better. Check out this pole and vote on which one you prefer?

Please feel free to discuss.

What made me think of this question is what parks are offering this year. Here is an extreme example- Kings Island is finally getting an inverted B&M which promises to be an exciting ride but it is over 20 years since they were first introduced. We were fortunate to receive one of the first models back in 1993 (Batman The Ride) but by today standards is very small. On the flip side, it has taken forever for us to get a drop tower but now we are getting a record setter. Hence the debate!

I voted for be the first since it is always cool to see the newest ride types at your local park. Even with Bizarro being the first floorless coaster it's considered to be one of the better floorless coasters and some of the newer floorless coasters after Bizarro like Hydra aren't nearly as good.

Although I didn't ride Batman The Ride until 2007, having the only inverted coaster in the area at first must have been really cool for the riders. I remember walking past the ride one of the first years it was open and couldn't believe there was a coaster where you rode below the track and went upside down and seeing very long lines for it back then since it was so unique.

There are some exceptions. I'm glad the park waited on getting a hypercoaster from B&M instead of an Arrow or Morgan coaster in the 90's. Steel Force is fun but doesn't even compare to Nitro. Also with Green Lantern even with it relocated is considered one of the better B&M standups compared to the first ones from the early 90's that supposedly haven't aged well.

Being the first is forever, it can't be taken from you. No matter if you are tallest, fastest, best, whatever, sooner or later someone will one up you and take the spotlight. Then again being the first sometimes means you have older, outdated, less advanced versions of the ride, such as Batman and Congo Rapids. I like Batman but Talon and Great Bear are better. Really it is a paradox.

Edited by The Master

I voted for wait. We waited for KKA, Sky Screamer, Nitro, SO wait is good. Allow the builders to work out the kinks and machincal issues. that come along with being the first. But take a look how many firsts have we seen removed or presented down time, Just

sayin.

I'd say wait since you will get a better ride in return. For example imagine if instead of having a Batman clone we could have an invert like Montu or Banshee? Or having a custom flyer like Tatsu instead of SUF? You have to admit it would be great.

^^ I absolutely agree, but I've always wondered- why is it that Intamin/Great Adventure went with OTSR's on Kingda Ka? I've been on Ka and Dragster, and while Ka was slightly more intense, I liked the lap bars much better. Why would they do this? The speeds are so similar, it couldn't have been safety reasons like MF to I-305?

Edited by Password121

I vote wait, but not to the point of where we are one of the last ones and behind the 'times' so to speak. I feel like our park has set the path to be somewhere in-between first, and short wait to where it is still somewhat fresh and one of the 'first'.

Edited by jdc12192

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Moonracker7

The only reason that if want a first of its kind is ask for it yourself, like TTD, FF, and my own idea, a dueling strata, white lightning(top hat like KK at 500ft. and one like Chiller-batman at knida Ka's height)

I was going to say get it first, but then i thought about viper. I think a ride that stays popular for a long time due to it's stats, is better than being the "one and only" or first. Kingda Ka wasn't the first, but it still holds records and is still very popular. It doesn't take long at all for a ride to gain a bad reputaion. Once a protype rides gets that bad reputation, then six flags will spend more money to improve it, then ultimately removing the ride which costs even more!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I say to wait for better with coasters and flat rides because people don't really care if you were the first. They want the best rides and don't care about their age. Also, with Chiller, Viper, and now Zumanjaro, they weren't proven designs and had many issues. I predict the Zumanjaro will go the way of Chiller and Viper because it breaks a lot and had so many problems the put KK, the flagship attraction out of commission. Eventually, they will just get rid of the darn thing if it continues to have a reputation as a dog. It got stuck halfway up the tower in the morning putting KK out of commission until almost 1pm. KK would have been open if it weren't for Zumanjaro's issues. I refer to Zumanjaro as the "mother of all mistakes". All this precious money spent on a crappy ride that breaks a lot and puts the flagship out of commission when it does amidst budget issues and walkways that crumble beneath our feet. I would much rather ride something like Dorney's Dominator, Great Escape's Sasquatch, or Cedar Point's Power Tower that was reliable and did not put another ride out of action when it broke.

However, with water rides, I say be the first. Action Park was the first modern waterpark and sort of an experimental place. It had many rides just thrown together with little consideration for safety, physics, or anything else really. Some of the older rides leave you thinking "Who the hell designed these rides?" when you get off. The older rides are 100 times better than the newer ones which are forceless, boring, and don't give the rider any control whatsoever. On some of Action Park's rides, you can control how fast you go, how far you go, and if you go forwards or backwards. Some of the rides are designed to allow the tubes to spin giving you a different ride each time. Surf Hill which is my personal favorite, is the best racing slide out there, and I have never ridden any others. They actually encourage getting a running start while most other parks prohibit it. The pool is pretty short at the bottom and they don't care if you overshoot it, which I do every time. The splash pools at most other parks are too long and make the ride the same exact thing every time. On Surf Hill, you can try and overshoot the pool and actually do it which means a different ride each time. Their older rapids rides from 1984 are so much better than their newer double tube slides. The only new rides that are thrilling are High Anxiety, H2OhNo, and Zero G. The rest of the newer rides (Alpine Pipeline, Vertigo, Vortex) are just plain boring and not much fun. Vertigo and Vortex barely even get you wet and Alpine Pipeline only gets you wet due to an overhead sprayer. In my opinion, a waterslide should not need any sprayers of any kind at all to soak you. Action Park has a lot of old rides, but they are far better than the newer ones and that is why the park is the best waterpark in the world.

^ I'd give Zumanjaro another chance next year since there were rumors a while ago that they will make the fixes needed to allow the two to run at the same time.

As for Action Park, I agree, all the old AP slides are way better than the newer ones. Unfortunately with the regulations around today we won't see anything new that is quite as insane as what they used to add in the 80s but with it being AP again maybe we can see some new unique stuff.

Edited by RC98

• 1 month later...