VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Disney breaks the $100 ticket price

29yrswithaGApass

Other than Magic Kingdom, I don't feel any of the parks are worth more than $50 a day and maybe $60 - $75 for Magic Kingdom. With all the ride removals/closures, there seems to be less value than ever in addition to the increases with everything else on property like the hotel rates and food prices. Hollywood Studios is down to 5 rides, Animal Kingdom has 7 rides and Epcot has I think 9 rides. I know there is more to the park than rides but for me that is the focus of going to any park. Even a 5 day non park hopper ticket is $63 a day with this increase and they removed the non expiring option. I miss the days when the multi day tickets had park hopping included and were automatically not expiring.

I also read that at Disneyland they are no longer selling annual pass parking passes for new passholders so in order to get free parking you have to buy the $779 annual pass (a $70 increase!). Those who still can renew their annual parking passes, have to pay $169 for that. ( http://abc7.com/business/disneyland-raises-prices-for-annual-passes-tickets/528664/).

Edited by Yoshi

Sounds pricy, but as others have mentioned, I doubt many people go to Walt Disney World and only buy a one day ticket. And, you get what you pay for. The Disney parks are head and shoulders better than other parks in the US, and the experience of being there outweighs a lack of rides.

Having worked at Walt Disney World, Id have to say its a fair price. Most have no idea how many back stage hosts and hostess's there are. You have computer Tecs, to keep all the show animatronics running, and wardrobe, Furnishings, Painters, Machinixs that they enploy...Belive me it out weights the on stage groupe by 1 to 3. The list goes on and on. it aint no cheap operation. And If Great Adventure had keep up with all the staffing they had in the first three years we wouldnt be far behind them.

I don't there is ever a "limit," it's whatever Disney thinks is the best pricing; that is, the highest profit margin- the highest cost that will still attract so many people. I don't think you can predict where it may top out, as inflation continues and consumers have more entertainment money on hand.

There are just as many people buying the tickets for the extra $6 as there were two days ago at $99. I'm always shocked that so many people buy tickets at the gate at all theme parks and buy just single day tickets, but they do.

To me the biggest loss for ticket buyers is the "never expire" option so now all tickets will expire within 14 days of first use. That was a loophole many people used to save money.

My personal feeling is tickets for Magic Kingdom should be priced even higher to keep the less desirable guests away but also to be able to put stricter limitations on the numbers of guests admitted. I'd rather see it as more of a boutique experience charging twice as much and admitting half as many guests which would give all those attending a better experience. When the attendance is anything over 40,000 (which is about 80% of the time) the park is pretty unpleasant to be in. Limit the admission to 40,000 all the time but charge guests more for the better experience. There's no way that when the park has 50-60 thousand guests that anyone can really enjoy it, let alone the close to 70,000 on the busiest days.

My biggest problem with the price increases is where is the money going?

Yes Magic Kingdom added a Mine Train since the last price increase, What else have any of the parks added? No Food or drink improvements do not count.

Outside of that, You have parks like Hollywood Studios and Epcot closing attraction after attraction while raising admission (Maelstrom, American Idol, Studio Backlot Tours, etc.) Yes I know that Maelstrom will become Frozen but for the time, It is gone.

Resort Wise, They have opened a parking garage and not much else. They also closed the Driving Speedway which doesn't affect me but might others.

If you want to include Disneyland resort in this, They closed Luigi's Flying Tires and raised premium season passes (aka Passes with Parking) to $780 Dollars. To give you a comparison, A Pass to 4 Disney World parks for a year with NO blackout date and FREE parking is $654 Dollars (780 gives you Disney Quest, Waterparks, and Golf Course). Explain that to me.

I could go further by mentioning that Tokyo Disneyland/Disney Seas which add things almost yearly and aren't owned by Disney only charge $54 to get in either of those parks.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I saw this on the Disney Parks Blog today. I don't have a reason to ever attend this, but the price tag is what caught my eye and shocked me. I know the Grand Floridian is their high-end resort but $334.00 for an hour long tea party seems a little extreme. It is sad that more and more things that made Disney special are now out of reach for so many in the general public.

It seems Disney is trying to outprice the middle class to cater to upper class families. Anyone else see this? Perhaps they will raise the price even more to make this change more drastic.

More like they are setting prices so middle class families can only afford to go there once or a few times ever. Alot of their own ads features families talking about saving money for years to go to Disney World.

Another factor is that the wage gap has been widening since the early 80s, creating a ever expanding rift between the wealthy and the middle and lower classes.

• 7 months later...

Starting tomorrow, a one day ticket to the Magic Kingdom could cost $124 depending upon the time of year you visit (versus the current $105). This news comes just days after numerous announcements of reduced entertainment, hours, and staffing throughout WDW. Supposedly they have to make up for overruns at their new Shanghai park.

I was looking through a bunch of old photo albums from various trips during the late 80s and 90s. Obviously attractions and shows change, but it is sad to see how many other services, offerings, and amenities disappeared over the years. Things that made a trip special, or as they say "magical".

• Like 1

I went to the 4 Disney parks just last month and gotta say I really didn't think it was worth the money.

So many things in epcot are completely outdated and I hadn't been to epcot since 2000 and I couldn't believe that 16 years later they still had some of the exact same rides and attractions in a park that is suppose to be about the future and technology.

Studios really doesn't have that much to do until all the new star wars and toy Story land stuff opens up.

Magic Kingdom just has way too many sit in a car and look at animatronics for me.

Animal Kingdom is actually my favorite of the parks due to the animals but they are opening that avatar land which really has nothing to do with the real theme of the park and is just a smart business attempt at getting people to go there.

I also went to both universal parks while I was there and enjoyed them much more then the Disney parks. My biggest complaint with universal was the overuse of 3d rides. I find it lazy and boring. The new King Kong area looks amazing so far.

All that being said I think they are all way over priced, food, parking, admission. The fact that I can get a gold season pass, gold dining pass and a photo pass for the year for around 220 for great adventure is what made me and my gf decide to get passes this year.

If a family of 4 visits during a day where admission is $124, that's close to $500 on just admission. Add in $20 for parking, roughly $50 to $60 for each counter service meal (could be more if everyone gets a soda) and that is around $630 for 1 day not counting any other expenses like snacks or souvenirs. That would buy 10 gold passes for Great Adventure if purchased during the Labor Day sale.

Add in the ridiculous lines that time of year that the $124 admission likely applies to and probably only 3 good FP+ (figuring same day availability for a 4th FP+ will be stuff like Stitch's Great Escape or other less popular attractions) it will probably be difficult to feel like someone got their money's worth.

• 2 weeks later...

To add to the ticket increases, the dining plan went up a few dollars, Be Our Guest breakfast went up from $19 or $20 with a drink included to $24 with no drink included and there is a survey that has Disney asking people what they think about a $15 per night resort fee.

Not to mention that they are going to be closing Disney Quest, removing a whole part of the "Water park, Fun, And More" option. They're replacing it with The NBA experience, which probably won't be part of Water park, Fun and More. It's more going to be just "Waterpark and golf" option.