VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great American Scream Machine

29yrswithaGApass

That is by far one of my favorite spotlights on this site now. The coverage of every aspect of the ride's history is awesome and as it is a favorite of mine and the first coaster I ever remember going on in the park I really do have that much more appreciation for this spotlight. Awesome job guys!!

Awesome Spotlight! GASM has always been one of my favorite coaster in the world. And as always, I love being a part of the spotlight

scan0005.jpg

GASM at it's finest (me in the 2nd row) :P

This had a lot of really cool information, and I'm still shocked that I have all but 3 of those souvenirs!

-Dainan "GASM :wub: " Rafferty

Very nice spotlight on GASM which is a icon for the park. It is a very nice looking coaster but it is a rough ride so I don't ride it too often. I remember watching GASM from Bugs Bunny Land when I was a little kid and I thought it looked so cool. Also I have heard that SFMM did overhaul Viper, GASM's twin and that it is supposedly running much smoother than it has for a long time, hopefully GASM will get some work soon too.

^^That would ruin your day. :rolleyes: I remember we used to park not far from the brake run and we would usually walk along it to the park. Can't do that now with Superman there but you do walk pretty close to GASM's brake in Superman's queue. If you look you can see the park turned around one of GASM's floodlights to light up Superman now.

Edited by The Master

Having gone through the spotlight, I now have more respect for Great American Scream Machine. Seeing as how it really ushered in the modern roller coaster age at the park, I'm going to let up on my calls to take it down. It's such a photogenic ride too, it'd be a shame to see it go. Great Spotlight as always!

I wonder what Ray Williams is up to? Any chance of interviewing former park execs?

It's funny, I brought this up when we were putting the GASM Spotlight together... didn't Ray Williams become president of Arrow Dynamics in the late '90s?

We've discussed doing some interviews with people relevant to GA's history and hopefully you will see some of these in the future!

It's funny, I brought this up when we were putting the GASM Spotlight together... didn't Ray Williams become president of Arrow Dynamics in the late '90s?

We've discussed doing some interviews with people relevant to GA's history and hopefully you will see some of these in the future!

Supposedly, Ray went to work at an oil company. Vince Lupinacci left Great Adventure to become the President & CEO of Sunkist. He returned to the amusement business as President & CEO of Palace Entertainment (Water parks & amusement centers), and now heads Global Recruiters of Thousand Oaks, CA.

http://www.grnthousandoaks.com

It's amazing how long it took Great Adventure to get a full-circuit looping coaster. Busch Gardens added the Loch Ness Monster in 1978 and numerous other parks added similar rides (some smaller like standard corkscrews coasters) for years. GA always took the state-of-the-art route adding rides like the the twin interlocking Lightnin' Loops, FreeFall, Sarajevo Bobsled and Ultra Twister. It took until 1989 for them to get a "real" steel rollercoaster.