VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Parachuter's Perch

29yrswithaGApass

It’s very said to see the Parachutes go.  As I mentioned here before, I had the pleasure of calling the ride my assigned ride when I worked at the park in the mid 80’s.  

We were fortunate that ride was “rescued” several times before closing.  Back around 2011 the park worked with Intamin to turn the tower into an aerial spinner ride similar to a supersized Condor ride with open cars.  Later the ride was set to be closed at the end of 2020 when an announcement was cancelled at the last moment to welcome riders for their last time during Holiday in the Park of that year.    

It is obvious that we benefited from parts over the years from the Great Gasp in SFOG and Texas Chute Out at SFOT.  Unfortunately, available parts have run out.  It is sad, but is so cool that we were able to host the tallest version ever made of this ride at Great Adventure.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pashacar said:

I also feel like they'll probably just keep the tower there....

A lot like they leave theaters, arenas, merchandise shops, games, and rides SBNO.  They don't seem to understand just how much this detracts from the atmosphere and overall experience the park offers.

• Like 1

So would it be that the tower and cables remain in place? That the park simply doesn't bring out the paracutes from winter storage? Essentially just mothballing the ride for a possible future reopening? 

19 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

I would think the cables will be removed as they pose the most risk.  I can see the tower remaining until the land is needed.  

In which case it would be nice if they convert it into an observation tower like Knotts did. 

47 minutes ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Knott's tower was originally installed as a combination parachute jump and observation tower.  They removed the parachutes and the upper catwalks leaving just the observation cabin.  It would be great if ours could be changed to an observation tower.

Sky Trek Tower at SFGAm has been SBNO since the start of the pandemic and it sounds like the park is unsure about its future.  For now, it is just a flag pole.

Edited by Medusa42
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It was very unfortunate when I heard that the Parachutes were closing- luckily I got to see it's final day on January 1st, where I saw it run only once, and never again. It truly was a staple at the park, and I hope they don't scrap the structure. I feel like it would really ruin the park's skyline if they got rid of the structure entirely.

• 4 months later...

I wondering if this tower will be removed carefully at six flags st louis or six flags over georgia or bring the tower down like at six flags over texas (especially they still have the empty lot where part of great American scream machine used to be where they can pull a six flags over texas on the parachute tower)

or convert it to a observation tower like knotts did to their parachute tower

Edited by harry2004

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/30/2023 at 1:23 AM, harry2004 said:

so, are they going to pull a six flags over texas and make the tower fell to the ground or take it apart just like six flags st Louis & six flags over georgia did to their parachute towers

Pretty late on this, but they’ll certainly dismantle it rather than going with demolition. It’s far too close in proximity to Green Lantern and the path to the Golden Kingdom to send it down that way, and that’s the only narrow bit of land it’s even remotely possible to knock it into.

Tokyo Dome City announced today that they’re closing Sky Flower, which was the last Intamin parachute tower after ours closed. End of an era. 

• Sad 2

That’s what I’m hoping for as well, and it does seem like the most reasonable option in terms of cost as well. There really isn’t much they could fit in that plot of land that would justify paying for a careful deconstruction of the tower.