VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Dorney Park Adding Cedar Creek Flyers

Yoshi

Well, I don't know if you can blame Cedar Fair for this. Six Flags had a few parks like Dorney, getting only minor additions and/or relocations. Six Flags America is a prime example; their last "new" coaster was Batwing in 2001. La Ronde and Michigans Adventure are more examples I can think of from both chains. It's too bad things like this happen, but at least it's something.

Location perhaps? They can't get anything loud because of dumb noise complaints, so that eliminates every intamin, or B&M unless the track is filled with sand like Talon and I believe Hydra

I guess I'm alone in thinking of this in a positive way? The way I think of it Dorney is getting a new (yes, actually NEW) ride, and not a bad family ride at that. Nothing is leaving for it, and it will add something to a dead area of the park. They have to start somewhere if they're going to get themselves back up again, and then for 2016 can be a major ride since the waterpark is good for a few years.

Just read about it in the local paper. yep its new. And their geting a a barbaque resturant as well...Which if they follow cedar fairs recipes it going to be good. At CP people make reservations days even weeks a head to eat there. Plus they are including it in there dinning pass. So I expect GA to follow. ANd beef up its offerings at our three major eat joints........

If you can't blame Cedar Fair for what Dorney gets who could you blame?

Maybe I should rephrase that...

Six Flags deserves just as blame for parks like a Six Flags America as Cedar Fair does for parks like Dorney and Michigans Adventure.

That amount of blame is up for discussion, but look how Six Flags America has been doing lately (organized fights, etc).

^ Because flying scooters are great family rides that appeal to that demographic. The super loops don't really have a true demographic outside of a carnival, since the younger kids trying thrill rides for the first time won't want to ride it because of the amount of time it spends upside down, but the enthusiasts don't like it because all it does is a vertical loop and nothing else. So who is it really aimed for? The general public who will believe the nonsense that it's a coaster?

Edited by RC98

^ Yes but Looping Starship wasn't an off the shelf carnival ride, and it's more visually impressive to see the huge ship swinging upside down than a few tiny cars strapped to a small track. I think the general public can recognize that it's he same thing they can ride at a carnival. Whether that will impact their decision to ride it I can't say but I know I won't ride it more than once (ever) and based on what others have said I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Also I feel that the experience is different from Looping Starship since one is run by gravity and a counterweight and one is run by a track and motors. To me that makes LD less thrilling. Call me picky but that's how I feel about it.

The other part of it (at least initially) was the marketing trick of calling it a coaster when even the general public who comments on the park's Facebook page knows it isn't.

Sorry I just realized you replied as I was editing my post.

Edited by RC98

29yrs, I think you have a valid point. Although I think some other factors are making many of us a little sour about Looping Dragon, which is why we give Six Flags so much flack.

1) Looping Dragon serves little purpose as I see it right now at Great Adventure. Yes, it is a much needed flat ride, but with abysmal capacity and not being a high profile ride (like a giant frisbee or screamin swing, for example), it doesn't really do a whole lot for the ride lineup.

2) The marketing of the ride was disappointing, but that's been covered many times over.

3) The placement. It appears to be taking up some of RT's footprint, which many of us thought could/should have utilized fully and quickly for a major new ride/expansion.

4) Many are sour that Great Adventure isn't getting a true roller coaster next year, as is falling behind in that category in recent years.

It is true that Six Flags has cut back their capital budget after the Premier years. However, at such a major park, arguably a destination in terms of coaster lineup, many would expect world class thrill machines every few years. Green Lantern and Dark Knight don't live up to their predecessors like El Toro, Kingda Ka and Nitro. When is the next time Great Adenture will invest in a coaster to top one of these? The only possibility I see is a custom RMC, which see ms unlikely.

5) The money would have been better utilized elsewhere. General park improvements- infrastructure, new pavers, new parking lot, new paint, coaster repaints, etc. A little TLC would go a long way.

With all that being said, I get your point, 29yrs, and I fully respect it. I think sometimes many of us (myself included) become fed up with Six Flags in general, so we automatically assume Cedar Fair is doing it better, which isn't always true.

Either way, I still love Great Adventure, and I always will. My home park is Six Flags America. It's been 13 years since a good thrill coaster has been built, which was also the last "new" coaster. It was a cloned Vekoma flyer. Any of the major coasters at Gadv I would be adored to be able to ride more often. Even just walking around the park, getting a feel for some of the atmosphere, which Six Flags America lacks completely. My prediction is that in 2016, this will all be forgotten after a great ride is added, or even next year, when we can all ride the other world class rides Gadv already has.

I always thought the Flyers as being a "classic" flat ride. Just like The Whip. They could be considered an off the shelf carnival ride but I think it as a carnival ride that copied a classic.

The Flyers at SFA looks like a big hit there this year since the 2 times I was at the park this year, the coaster lines were empty while the Flyers line was full. And I always loved the Flyers at Knoebels with my family. It is a type of ride that my entire family can ride when my kids were younger. My wife and son could go on one and not be too extreme while my daughter and I can go on another one and go "all out!!!" Its hard to find a ride that can give a family different experiences

I always thought of the Looping Starship as an off the carnival ride Pirate Ship that went to the extreme and went around and I think the Looping Dragon as an off the carnival ride of the smaller Loopers.

I don't mind getting Looping Dragons but it just seems that Gadv is not "thinking" about what they cant do with the park.

Im not sure about the height restriction. Also I don't think its possible to fill intamin tracks with sand as it is mostly air actually. There is hollow space between the truss structure that there is nothing to fill unless you count the rails and the truss structure, but really that wouldn't do much. B&M track though has a huge square spine that amplifies noise so filling that up with sand makes an enormous difference. But I don't think any coaster there is filled with sand because for example, Great Bear literally ROARS and it is extremely loud

I, for one, am stoked for this ride. I loved riding the Flyers at Hershey and SFA this summer, I think this will round out a really nice collection of flats, probably the best of all the regional parks around here (Hershey is a close second but without something like a drop tower or Screaming Swing most of thier flats are for the little ones).

Morey's is also getting Flyers next year on Surfside pier where the Condor used to be.

I will say LD is something we need to boost our attraction line up but as everyone will probably agree it's disappointing we are getting one small ride instead of a package of flat rides like the adventure alley addition. We have the thrill/record breaker category taken care of for a while now how about adding some family flats, extreme flats, shows Park TLC ETC. Six Flags needs to set their priorities straight and learn how to penny pinch without making themselves look cheap by just giving parks new attractions to give them new attractions.

Im not sure about the height restriction. Also I don't think its possible to fill intamin tracks with sand as it is mostly air actually. There is hollow space between the truss structure that there is nothing to fill unless you count the rails and the truss structure, but really that wouldn't do much. B&M track though has a huge square spine that amplifies noise so filling that up with sand makes an enormous difference. But I don't think any coaster there is filled with sand because for example, Great Bear literally ROARS and it is extremely loud

I remember reading that at least the supports are filled with sand on the intamin sat Hershey. I remember being at Hershey this summer and saying how quite they where