VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Speculating about 2009

There have been a few posts here and there around the Forums about 2009 so I thought we should probably have a topic to centralize the discussion. Nothing is known for sure now but we've all heard rumors and thought of some good (and wild) ideas. Please feel free to share yours here.

I'll start with a thought of mine, keeping in mind that I have no insider's knowledge or proof that this will happen but it's just a hunch. It seems Six Flags has been slighting Kentucky Kingdom recently by pulling key members of their management team and sending them to other parks. It also has its share of ride and section closures this year. In addition KK's operating calendar is a little strange this season with the park closing at the end of August, remaining closed in September, only to open for a few weekends in October. It is possible that the park may be closed or sold, but at the very least it doesn't appear that it is viewed as one of Six Flags core assets that will be the recipient of major funding in the future.

Given the parks small size and low attendance, I think Six Flags may now view Chang (a large and outstanding B&M stand-up coaster) as an underutilized asset. It was added to the park in 1997 so while it is a signature attraction at the park, I am sure after 11 years it has lost its drawing power for the small local population and would be viewed as major addition in another market.

I think it's possible it could make its way to Six Flags Great Adventure.

SFKKChang.jpg

The most likely new coaster would probablyy be a dive coaster which their are rumors that either SFGAdv or SFGAm will get it. I doubt SF would remove Chang if the park is being sold to a new owner who wants to still run the site as a park. Also they did add some things into SFKK this year like a new water side so SF wanting to get rid of KK seems less likely now.

The rumors i here is that GA is getting a new drop tower ride in 09 due to the fact that all thje free falls six flag owned are sitting in a dirt lot somewhere.I do know for many years frefall was a huge draw to park and that drop towers have the kind of pull SF needs. Dont be suprised if you see a sign towards the end of season stating this fact.As far as a location for it?, im not sure but th area around the yum yum palace needs something. ever since shockwave left that whole area is a drag to go through.

The most likely new coaster would probablyy be a dive coaster which their are rumors that either SFGAdv or SFGAm will get it. I doubt SF would remove Chang if the park is being sold to a new owner who wants to still run the site as a park. Also they did add some things into SFKK this year like a new water side so SF wanting to get rid of KK seems less likely now.

If the park was sold, it would be to developers who would turn it into new housing or condos. Some of the property that these parks sit on are quite valuable.

^ I agree. I think if that park is sold it is going to be for something other than to be retained as an amusement park. Something coming from there be it coaster or flat would have to be a distinct possibility. Although having new and inventive things coming in are also nice so either option works to me.

It's funny, I had a thought about this today while I was in the shower and realized history is repating, so it could be possible...

Parks get "back to basics" under new management with customer service and family focus 1987 : 2006

Great Adventure adds new kids area as part of family focus 1988 (BBL) : 2007 (Wiggles World)

GA adds $7 million dollar coaster which is the same as the one added at Great America 1989 (GASM): 2008 (Dark Knight)

GA adds relocated standup roller coaster moved from another S.F. park 1990 (Shockwave): ?????

So, if history is any indicator, the SF chain will be bought by an entertainment company in a few years, and then sold a few years later for a huge profit after the company's CEO decides that theme parks are not a core asset tho the entertainment company... :D

Who knows, it could even turn out to be Time Warner again...after all Disney just sold then bought back the Disney Store chain. ;)

There is probably a good chance that more rides will be removed next year (bumper cars, music express). Old County according to rumors probably won't be reopened next year, supposedly it will be slowly cleared out over two years.

Well considering bumper cars and the Music Express aren't open this season it wouldn't be as big a hit to us as some of the rides this year were since they were all operating the year before their closure. At the same time, if they are going I'd rather see the park do a quick clear out than a slow one in which that section gets no use for a seriously extended period of time.

Still you would think that they would move the bumper cars to a new spot in the park. But I guess the management probably views the bumper cars as not worth moving.

Most likely, which is sad because while the line for the bumper cars was not usually insane, I can certainly recall having to wait for one of two sessions before being able to get into a car on it, so it's not like the thing was a completely dead attraction!

I don't know, Harry! :P

If Old Country is getting cleared, please leave the trees. I would love to see GAdv move the bumper cars between TDK and the Backlot Beer Garden. The huge treeless area of the blue pavement would be a great location for the roofed ride. I hope Six Flags would save Musik Express. My friends and family always have a fun time on it. A revamped ride could be renamed The Moon Walk and the roofed ride could go in the Boardwalk in Spaceshuttle's spot or in front of the Great American Road Race. It has the late 1960's pretty-hippy flowers. -_-

I personally would love to see Houdini reopened. Not too many parks have these. I would like to ride a couple of SFGAm's 14 spin rides. Their scrambler would look nice in Pirate Flight's spot. Their monster spin could be placed in the Chaos spot. The Monster Spin is currently themed with Batman and is named East River Crawler. It could go in Time Warp's spot and themed with Fantasy Forest or Lakefront and named Silly Squid.

A rehab for the Carousel, Big Wheel, fin brakes and comfortable vinyl seats for Rolling Thunder would be a godsend. Shows in the Great Lake Grandstand and Showcase Theater would be awesome too!

Edited by darkridedan

I definitely hope Houdini can be brought back up and running for us next season as so many people seem to have enjoyed that ride. I really think we have just seen the beginning of work that will be going in over byt TDK because the space that was cleared out and the space being used by the new coaster are seriously unequal. There is so much that can be done for them right now over there.

I'm hoping we can see something new to the Lakefront arena because I miss taking in a nice show on the lake about midday. It's rather depressing to constantly walk past it along the lakefront and know that absolutely nothing is going on in there.

I would really like to see the return of the waterski show from the 80's and 90's. It was a great show and was always filled up the stands. Does anybody know if thbe ski jump is still there. I think GA needs to et some good shows going to giv e peple a chance to relax in the middle of the day.I would also ove to see the dive show make a return.

I too would like to see both the Dive Show and Ski Show return. Those were always two of my favorite things and would always watch them at least once each time I would visit the park. It was nice just to sit down and relax for a while. Plus one of the dive girls was really cute.

true atleast one girl in the dive tshow was hot! plus it didnt hurt she was in a super tight bathing suit! The best part of the ski show was the crazy jumps they did. It also had some really fit chics in it to!

I would really like to see the return of the waterski show from the 80's and 90's. It was a great show and was always filled up the stands. Does anybody know if thbe ski jump is still there. I think GA needs to et some good shows going to giv e peple a chance to relax in the middle of the day.I would also ove to see the dive show make a return.

I know there is a bunch of scenery and props still floating out on the lake either by the grandstand or across the water but I'm not sure if the jump is out there at this point. I think a water ski or jetski show would work well right now as the action stunt type show ran its course in the park with both a water and arena based one going on so closely together at times.

What does everyone think about getting one of these zacspin coasters. They look like they can be packed into a tight spot and have the combo of free fall, high speeds and weightlessness. I think it could be a good addition to the park. Also i think next year we could see the MTWE make its return with something new to go with it.

^ is this what you are referring to? I think it looks like an interesting concept, but with the park seemingly moving into the major theming aspects of rides right now I'm not exactly sure where in the park it would fit or what they could do with it. Not ruling it out as anything new is good, but I would be curious to see what could be done.

On the MTWE I am not sure if we will see that make a return anytime soon only because the company seemingly cleared that out quite quickly, and I have heard that the generation of ride that ours was was rather difficult and a pain to upkeep so with the park looking to save some money I don't know if I see that coming back at this point unless they went next gen with it. I can say though, that if they brought it back and did a theming job similar to that of an escape from Pompe or something as a new major attraction I would love it!