VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Speculating about 2009

Mat slides are the best kind of slides out there. They really make you feel like your moving really fast cause' you usually are. Morey's has three good one's on the pier without Nor'Easter. And my favorite all time was Surf Hill at the old Action Park.

^ With that still standing there I'm surprised we haven't heard mumblings about something being done to it, but I guess since it's seemingly being packed into the closed Old COuntry there is no need to really give away any potential plans. Still makes me so curious though that with the ride being dismantled, they kept those structures standing. So interesting! :)

^I think we talked about this somewhere on here before, but Action Park no longer exists in it's form from what you probably remember. The property closed for a long while and has reopened as Mountain Creek Waterpark now in concert with the Mountain Creek Ski area that operates in the same area during the winter months. The place is nowhere near as infamous now as it was back in its hayday as a dangerous park to visit or anything, so it doesn't recieve as much coverage as you are probably used to. And I think this Action_Park_looping_water_slide.jpg is what you were referring to.

I think a new age looping waterslide could be an interesting idea for the park. If you think about it our theme park always seems to be on the leading edge when it comes to installing the newest and best coasters and big attractions in the industry. Why not keep this up within our waterpark and invest in what is truly a different and unique experience that very few places can offer today. I know that if I was looking for a waterpark, something like that would certainly catch my eye and make me think it would b worth coming to check out in addition to everything else offered!

That's it! Wow its been many, many years since I've seen that slide. I agree with you in putting in cutting edge rides. I allways want to go on the bigest or fastest rides. Someone should email a link to the head guy at GA so he can see what people are wanting in the park

Actually I think one of those body board wave deals would be a cool addition to HH

You should have been to Wild Water Kingdom back in the mid 90s then. Their first wave pool used to have boogie board rentals, those were the days.

Edited by The Master

Yes that I do recal in my readings somewhere. I think it was a young kid who drowned unfortunately. I can understand the taming of the wave pools if they are causing too much risk fo the happening. Though I am sure it was still interesting to see the boogie boards in the wave pool.

At this point though I am still like focussed on the Chiller's shell to see what if anything comes of it's continued existance :)

But, that wave pool was responsible for at least one death that I can remember. It was very dangerous which is why they re-profiled it and made it shallower with smaller waves.

There old wave pool used to be split into 2 sections, one for boogie boards and the other for body surfing. At first it was just a rope spliting the wave pool but they would later build a wall between the two sections. After the drowing they did away with the boogie boards and had the sides of the wave pool lined with life guards but it is not that way anymore. But I never go into wave pools much anyway. Sadly both WWK and HH are hiring life guards from out of county and many of them speak English poorly which is not good for a life guard.

But back to topic, that ball coaster looks like it would be too slow loading for GAdv's crowds, that is why Ultra Twister was moved out of GAdv.

I think it's interesting that there's a rumor about Great America getting a splash battle ride. I wouldn't be surprised if we see the same thing that they get for a second year in a row. It makes a lot of sense for parks to do the same thing like that to save on development costs, advertising, etc. And, with both parks havign removed their Splashwater Falls rides, I think that both could use new water attractions that get people REALLY wet again.

Dollywood's splash battle looks like a lot of fun:

With a price tag of $5 million, it's about the right price range for new additions planned for the parks now, and could easily be themed to anything...maybe Aquaman?

Then again, if the rumor is true and Cedar Fair is dumping the Nickelodeon licensing next year, Six Flags could choose to swoop in and buy it up, with next years money being spent on adding Nick themed areas...

I heard about Cedar Fair dumping the Nickeloden characters also and I would not be surprised at all to see Six Flags get those characters in the park. And with the amount of characters in the Nick Universe it could open up alot of possibilities. We would baisically have all the major characters out there except the Disney stuff, and that is fine with me. We just have to see what the price for the Nick characters is nowaday's, and you have to wonder why Cedar Fair is dumping them also.

I heard about Cedar Fair dumping the Nickeloden characters also and I would not be surprised at all to see Six Flags get those characters in the park. And with the amount of characters in the Nick Universe it could open up alot of possibilities. We would baisically have all the major characters out there except the Disney stuff, and that is fine with me. We just have to see what the price for the Nick characters is nowaday's, and you have to wonder why Cedar Fair is dumping them also.

I Heard about that also.

you have to wonder why Cedar Fair is dumping them also.

Cost and also they have a relationship with Peanuts that they can exploit in all the parks. CBS probably wants a fortune to renew the license knowing how valuable the Nick properties could be in a bidding war between theme park operators. The Nick characters can draw a lot of kids, and sell a lot of merchandise, but Cedar Fair apparently thinks they can do just as well with the Peanuts. On top of that, if they put Peanuts into all the former Paramount parks they instantly (and for a relatively low cost) have a "new" attraction that they can advertise in all of the parks for 2009.

That Nick licensing sounds quite enticing. I know so many young ones who are absolutely hooked on everything that license comes up with, and I think that would be a hug addition if Six Flags could get it. I guess the main problem would end up being the purchasing price for the license from CBS knowing how valuable it is.

orange markings are popping up on trees over at HH. :idee:

EDIT: I have a good feeling that 2 trees in the park are coming down right next to Big Wheel, they are kind of leaning toward it and they have big white bands wrapped around them.

Edited by southview2

I just wanted you all to know I will be following up, and going to HH this week to get pics. of the rest of the trees that are marked. There is more than one tree with a mark on it, I only took one shot cause' We were leaving and I was in a hurry. *R*