VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Speculating about 2009

I'd love to see something like Industrial Movement come back...that show was great! But I would REALLY like to see that happen in a brand new state of the art show venue with proper acoustics and state of the art systems, good viewing angles, and proper 4 seasons climate controls. We could really use somethign like that for a Holiday in the Park show. ;)

The Industrial Movement show I thought was absolutely great. I think it would work well if brought back to the park, but I also agree that it would need a more fitting environment to work in. Though I think with some modifications the Showcase could be a proper venue. Whether or not the park would do that is a different story.

It seems to me that before Great Adventure spends any more money on roller coasters, they have to get a decent show. Nobody loves roller coasters as much as I do, but adults need something to do in the park.

I know shows do not seem to draw a lot of people, but that is because there are not a lot of adults in the park. They do not like Great Adventure because there is nothing for them to do. Animal shows are all there are and that does not appeal to everyone.

Every other theme park I have been to, and I've been to a lot, have several live stage shows and people flock to them. I live in Orlando and frequently visit Disney, Universal, Sea World, and Busch Gardens Tampa. All of these parks have many live shows and people arrive an hour beforehand to get good seats. Busch Tampa is the closest comparison to great Adventure. It is a much smaller park than GA but still has 3 main stage shows, an animal show, and a children's show. It also has great roller coasters and thrill rides. The shows are generally 70-80% adults and always filled to capacity. Adults go to the park just to see the shows.

Great Adventure has spent so many years marketing to teenagers that adults see it as a teen hangout and stay away. It will take a lot of work to change this image. People will not flock to the park because they put a show in. It will take several years of providing quality entertainment to reverse the image they have created as a park with nothing for adults. This will be necessary, however, if they intend to attract families and change their image to one of a family-friendly, quality theme park.

Shows do not cost as much as roller coasters and they can keep them for a couple of years to make them more financially acceptable. The payout in the end will be well worth it.

Some have argued that people in that area do not want to see shows at the park because they are so close to NY and Broadway. If anything this would create even more of a reason the shows need to be quality, however I do not believe this affects the situation at all. Not many people get to go to Broadway shows on a regular basis, and those that do enjoy theatre would enjoy seeing shows at theme parks.

Great Adventure has no real competition in the area as far as thrill rides are concerned. Hershey is the only other major theme park I can think of in the area and it does not come close. But even that park has live stage shows that seem to draw a large audience.

I don't believe a Batman stunt show is the answer. That would be a show geared toward teenagers. Adults would not like it and teenagers would rather ride rides.

If Great Adventure wants to change it's image and become a quality family park they are going to have to suck up a few years of spending money on shows that will not have very large crowds while they build up their reputation. One way to do this is to cast 2 different shows with the same performers, doing 2 performances of each show. Since there will not be a large audience they could get by with only 2 performances and that way they could do 2 shows for the price of one, at least as far as casting goes. I remember when I was at the park we did 6 shows a day and never had more than 1/3 of the Showcase theatre full. We certainly could have gotten by doing 3 or 4 shows.

Once people realize the park is offering quality entertainment more adults will come to the park and there will be something for everyone to enjoy.

I know it's not a "traditional" show. But I consider Glow In The Park more than just a parade. Once you see you will know what I mean.

It looks interesting, like a take on Disney"s Electric Light Parade or SpectroMagic. But I imagine it only happens once a day, and at night. What about the rest of the day?

GAdv does have some competition in the Quad state (NJ/PA/DE/NY) area, there's Dorney and Hershey both of which have been around alot longer than GAdv has and have better reps. I know in my area alot of people think of GAdv as a hangout for punks from Philly and NYC and sadly it is pretty much true for most of the summer and FF. There are more bus groups of unsupervised kids at GAdv than at any of the other local parks. The park has been trying hard to fix their image but it will take a long time to undo what the past management has done and having 4 kiddie sections is just a band aid for becoming more of a family park like Hershey and Dorney.

Edited by The Master

Just heard something interesting today while at King Da Ka. Its moving down south in the hopes that a climate with less rain improves its maintinence issues and it being replaced with a new coaster, (possibly the dive coaster) within the next two years... <_<

I know it would take a lot to get that water back into shape, but I really wouldn't mind seeing the return of something like the paddle boats to the park. They are a nice simple attraction that could be put in multiple places if the original site was not desireable anymore. This could also lead to a future inclusion of something like the birds or ships in Wildwood. I know it would be oldschool to do that, but I think the boats woujld be enjoyed by people, especially couples and such in the park, and would require relatively little upkeep compared to the more complicated rides in the park. Just a though :)

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know if this will happen but apparently one of my sources just got word that by the end of fright feest, autobahn and musik express will both be in pieces. My source is being told autobahn will be moved to another location in the park but M.E. being scraped. I hope this is false, but the one I heard it from usually gets near the truth.

Well it would be nice for Autobahn to stay if this is true, but I really hope the ME rumor as false as it was still enjoying some good ridership and days prior to the Old Country closure it seemed :(

It's a catch 22 one half of this one sounds promising, but the other half sounds unpleasant lol :P

I would like to see something like a 3 in 3 redevelopment/promotion for the park. The park would do really well with three new family (everybody) rides. Reopeneing three major show venues and rehabing three old rides to make them look and ride like new would be a good message to send and make people feel better about the park.

Six Flags could add a new ride, open a show venue and rehab an old ride per year for the next three years. Or, they could add three new rides next year, open three new major shows in 2010 and rehab three rides in 2011.

If they take the main concern of their guests this year and address it next year, they would be well poised for a new major thrill attraction in 2012.

Edited by darkridedan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest warnerleroy

When, tomorrow's labor day, that usually means the park should make an announcement betweena few weeks or a month! :sMILEYHOURGLASS: I'm hoping for a BIG addition to the park, but I'm praying for a dark ride. I just hope we'll get an addition worth noting next year(it's a "9" year) instead of just 1 flat or smaller ride, but if the smaller ride happens to be a dark ride, I'm cool with that!

Well I was at the golden carousel awards tonight and Mr. Kane mentioned the theme parks plans are still in last phases of work, but he confirmed to everyone in a speech that HH IS getting a new ride. And that glow is getting a new float.But like I said, the theme parks plans have not been set in stone yet.

Well I'm glad to hear that, I would of felt like an idiot if that Manager Mark from HH was not telling me the truth about a new Attraction. I was a little hesitant to even post it the other day. Now I can hope for a Coaster Float, or maybe we'll have some new Characters that will need a Float.