VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Jersey Devil Coaster - Now Open!

29yrswithaGApass

This ride is going to run great once it speeds up. Even just looking at this footage, it already takes some of these elements with pretty considerable speed (everything up to the spider turn looks to have great pacing so far). Naturally, it takes others with less speed (pretty much everything after the spider turn), but it is bound to speed up substantially through these elements as more runs are conducted. Just on the first recorded test run, there already looks to be some awesome airtime moments and I can't wait to see footage of this ride once it speeds up; and hopefully a POV soon!

This likely confirms that JDC will be ready in some way shape or form by Memorial Day weekend; whether it be membership previews, media day, or something else. Considering the park is open next Wednesday, I could see JDC starting to run people as early as then, or sometime in the following days for Coaster Power Hours. Each train needs to run a certain number of cycles before it can be certified and commissioned, so we'll just have to keep our eyes peeled. We will likely hear more information in tomorrow's new update video!

Jersey Devil Sighting:

Triple Record-Breaking Roller Coaster Takes First Test Run at Six Flags Great Adventure

Jersey Devil and Mother Leeds Reunited

JACKSON, NJ – May 21, 2021 – The Jersey Devil was spotted soaring through the Pine Barrens once again as the triple record-breaking Jersey Devil Coaster took its first full test run Thursday.

Engineering and maintenance experts are completing extensive testing on the world’s tallest, fastest, and longest single-rail coaster. As part of load testing, the team utilizes “water people” to simulate human weight in the roller coaster trains. A water person nicknamed “Mother Leeds” captured point-of-view footage, while drones captured the momentous occasion from above.

New Jersey legend says that Mother Leeds cursed her thirteenth child, which transformed the newborn into a snarling, flying beast that has tormented the New Jersey Pine Barrens for hundreds of years. Six Flags Great Adventure is located in the Pine Barrens, and local Jackson Township folklore places the devil at its Great Lake.

Towering 13 stories, and soaring at speeds up to 58 mph, Jersey Devil Coaster riders will fly single file through the dark and foreboding woods over 3,000 feet of track. The cutting-edge coaster will feature five intense elements including three dramatic inversions.

Key features of the Jersey Devil Coaster include:

• Four sleek trains of 12 passengers each sitting low and inline style (one rider per row) with their legs straddling either side of the monorail track;
  • 3,000 feet of soaring, single-rail, I-beam track;
  • Tension-building ascent up a towering, 130-foot lift hill;
  • Flying at speeds up to 58 mph;
  • Intense elements including a steep 87-degree first drop and overbank cutback; and
  • Three dramatic inversions including a 180-degree stall, raven dive, and zero-gravity roll.

Extensive ride testing, inspections, and NJ state certification will be completed before the first passengers board the ride. The park will announce an opening date for the coaster soon.

For more information, visit www.sixflags.com/greatadventure

# # #

Source:  Six Flags Great Adventure

Click HERE to view photos and videos of the ride testing.  Samples below.

large.1852665221_JDCFirstRun180-DegreeSt

large.1064943264_JDCFirstRunDiveLoop.jpg

• 29yrswithaGApass changed the title to Jersey Devil Coaster - Triple Record-Breaking Roller Coaster Takes First Test Run at SFGA

Considering that the first test run was successfully completed around 1PM yesterday, May 20, 2021, and reports from the park suggest that the ride was still testing around 8PM that same night, the coaster has likely completed anywhere from 50-75 test runs so far. A report from the park today shows what appears to be a torqueing device on the lift chain, so testing has yet to commence today. Each train will likely need around 100 complete, successful cycles in order to be certified for use. There are currently three trains on the track, which may indicate a few different possibilities:

• The park could be using this fourth train as a maintenance train for spare parts and interchangeability
  • Or, quite simply, the fourth train may not be ready to be installed on the track yet.

Either way, given the coaster opens with all 4 trains in operation, the ride will need to be tested successfully around 400 times in order for the coaster to move onto the inspection and certification stages.

Based on public rumor and the timing of these test runs, it is safe to assume that the park is looking to open Jersey Devil Coaster in some way as close to Memorial Day weekend as possible. Given each train will need about two days to complete all of its necessary cycles (assuming the coaster tests all days of the week), all testing should be theoretically completed by next Thursday, May 27th. I am not sure about how long the inspection and certification process will take, but I would assume no more than just a few days. Given this is the case, I think we could see an opening schedule similar to this one:

• June 4-6: Season Pass/Membership Previews
  • June 8-9: Commercial shoot
  • June 10-11: Media days
  • June 12-13: Public unveiling and opening 

I have always wanted Jersey Devil to open on the weekend of June 13th, as the 12 signifies the children Mother Leeds had before the 13th, the Jersey Devil, came along. These dates would be great for the theme of the ride, as well as the fact that June is the 6th month of the year. Having this extra time between Memorial Day weekend and the following Friday would also allow the park to work out some of the kinks in the ride if needed.

23 minutes ago, XENITH said:

Considering that the first test run was successfully completed around 1PM yesterday, May 20, 2021, and reports from the park suggest that the ride was still testing around 8PM that same night, the coaster has likely completed anywhere from 50-75 test runs so far. A report from the park today shows what appears to be a torqueing device on the lift chain, so testing has yet to commence today. Each train will likely need around 100 complete, successful cycles in order to be certified for use. There are currently three trains on the track, which may indicate a few different possibilities:

• The park could be using this fourth train as a maintenance train for spare parts and interchangeability
  • Or, quite simply, the fourth train may not be ready to be installed on the track yet.

Either way, given the coaster opens with all 4 trains in operation, the ride will need to be tested successfully around 400 times in order for the coaster to move onto the inspection and certification stages.

Based on public rumor and the timing of these test runs, it is safe to assume that the park is looking to open Jersey Devil Coaster in some way as close to Memorial Day weekend as possible. Given each train will need about two days to complete all of its necessary cycles (assuming the coaster tests all days of the week), all testing should be theoretically completed by next Thursday, May 27th. I am not sure about how long the inspection and certification process will take, but I would assume no more than just a few days. Given this is the case, I think we could see an opening schedule similar to this one:

• June 4-6: Season Pass/Membership Previews
  • June 8-9: Commercial shoot
  • June 10-11: Media days
  • June 12-13: Public unveiling and opening 

I have always wanted Jersey Devil to open on the weekend of June 13th, as the 12 signifies the children Mother Leeds had before the 13th, the Jersey Devil, came along. These dates would be great for the theme of the ride, as well as the fact that June is the 6th month of the year. Having this extra time between Memorial Day weekend and the following Friday would also allow the park to work out some of the kinks in the ride if needed.

I really hope it doesn’t have member previews that weekend, as it’s the weekend of Coastermania at Cedar Point and Holiwood Nights at Holiday World.  They’ve been pushing for Memorial Day since the start, and it is certainly possible for it to open next weekend!

I am seeing a handful of comments in various places about the speed. Obviously it’s just the first test run but regardless, coming from someone who has been on Wonder Woman golden lasso coaster, being a little more tame may not be that bad and actually make the ride a little more enjoyable. WW was very intense and pretty bat sh*t crazy to the point you didn’t even know what you just rode and was almost “too” much. I rather be able to have an enjoyable ride then it be so intense and crazy that I don’t even know what happened- which I get can be good at times. 

6 minutes ago, GAcoaster said:

I was surprised how much shake there was in the camera each time it hit a joint in the beam... 

I was thinking the same thing. I noticed it most on areas of the track where they used shims to join the two pieces of track together (most joints after the spider turn had shims from what I observed. Some of these bumps are likely exaggerated by the camera, as the mount may tend to shake throughout the ride, so some of these patches may not be as rough as they appear on the video. Similarly, the slower the train goes through an element, the more noticeable the joint changes are, so on-ride most of these patches should be rather minimal once the ride speeds up more. One moment that was particularly interesting in the POV video was when the train hit a pretty decent knot at the end of the mid-course. 

This video is a great raw and adjusted comparison for the Jersey Devil POV. On average, the animation runs about 1.2 - 1.3 times faster than the actual POV, which is a benchmark I think this coaster is definitely capable of reaching or even surpassing, especially on hot days!