VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Jersey Devil Coaster - Now Open!

29yrswithaGApass

I had an awesome day at Jersey Devil previews! I got to ride 11 times throughout the day, really great considering that there was some extended downtime at times during the day. The back was incredible for airtime, and I definitely felt more hangtime toward the front. While it ran really slow after the MCBR early on, it got a lot faster and better as the coaster warmed up. I could say that in general about the entire experience! I can’t wait to go to media day tomorrow and get more rides, this is easily a top 3 coaster at the park for me. Stop me if you see me and say hi! I’ll be wearing an El Diablo shirt 😂😈

Six Flags Great Adventure Announces Opening of

Triple World Record-Shattering ‘Jersey Devil Coaster’

World’s Tallest, Fastest, and Longest Single-Rail Coaster to Debut June 13

JACKSON, N.J. ─ June 10, 2021 ─ Six Flags Great Adventure, the World’s Ultimate Thrill Park, today announced that its highly-anticipated Jersey Devil Coaster will preview to press June 10 and debut to the public June 13. Jersey Devil Coaster will rank as the world’s tallest, fastest and longest single rail coaster—towering 13 stories, flying at speeds up to 58 miles-per-hour, and propelling riders single file through the dark and foreboding woods over 3,000 feet of track. Inspired by infamous New Jersey mythology, the cutting-edge coaster will feature five intense elements, including three dramatic inversions.

Legend says the Jersey Devil has haunted the Pine Barrens for centuries, soaring stealthily through the woods in the dark of night before attacking its prey. Modern-day folklore places this beast near the theme park’s Great Lake, with its menacing, curled horns manifesting under a full moon. 

“Jersey Devil folklore has been a source of fear and intrigue here in the Pine Barrens for more than 200 years. We’ll immerse riders in this iconic piece of New Jersey history on our monstrous, new scream machine,” said Park President John Winkler. “Jersey Devil Coaster is the perfect addition to our unrivaled collection of award-winning, innovative, and thrilling roller coasters.”

The Jersey Devil Coaster includes the following key features:

·         Elaborately-themed entrance portal, and a queue design that features informative storyboards on the Jersey Devil’s origin;

·         Four sleek trains of 12 passengers each, sitting low and inline style (one rider per row) with their legs straddling either side of the monorail track;

·         Three thousand feet of soaring, single-rail, I-beam track;

·         Tension-building ascent up a towering, 130-foot lift hill;

·         Speeds up to 58 mph;

·         Intense elements including a steep, 87-degree first drop and an overbanked cutback; and

·         Three dramatic inversions, including a 180-degree stall, raven dive, and zero-gravity roll.

With dark, New Jersey folklore at the heart of this new ride, some are questioning whether the ride’s statistics were planned, mere coincidence, or rooted in something more sinister.

·         The Jersey Devil was the cursed 13th child of Mother Leeds

o   The coaster is 13 stories tall;

o   Jersey Devil is the park’s 13th roller coaster;

o   Each train carries 12 human passengers, with the Jersey Devil himself as the lead car…a total of 13 riders; and

o   Jersey Devil will open to the public June 13.

Folklore buffs will enjoy finding the historical “Easter eggs” that Six Flags designers incorporated into the Jersey Devil’s entrance and queue design.

Riders must meet the 48-inch height requirement. Jersey Devil Coaster is located along the lakefront near Safari Kids and Congo Rapids. A new Jersey Devil BBQ restaurant is located across from the ride’s entrance.

Six Flags Members and Season Pass holders will enjoy an exclusive preview of Jersey Devil Coaster June 11 and 12 prior to the grand opening to the public June 13. For more information about Jersey Devil Coaster, and this season at Six Flags Great Adventure, visit www.sixflags.com/greatadventure

About Six Flags Entertainment Corporation

Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is the world’s largest regional theme park company and the largest operator of waterparks in North America, with 27 parks across the United States, Mexico, and Canada. For nearly 60 years, Six Flags has entertained millions of families with world-class coasters, themed rides, thrilling waterparks and unique attractions. Six Flags is committed to creating an inclusive environment that fully embraces the diversity of our team members and guests. For more information, visit www.sixflags.com.

About Six Flags Great Adventure, Wild Safari and Hurricane Harbor

Six Flags Great Adventure is the World’s Largest Thrill Park with world-class, award-winning rides like Kingda Ka, El Toro, Nitro, and Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom. The park offers two areas just for the littlest guests and great family rides for the whole family, plus entertainment, shopping, and a wide variety of dining options. Its Wild Safari Drive-Thru Adventure is one of the largest self-guided drive-through safari outside of Africa and gets guests up-close to more than 1,200 animals from around the globe in the privacy of their own vehicles. Six Flags Hurricane Harbor is one of the Northeast’s largest waterparks with more than 25 refreshing attractions for the whole family. www.sixflags.com/greatadventure

Source:  Six Flags Great Adventure

Click HERE to see photos and video.  Samples below.

large.2107956288_JerseyDevilcloseup2.jpg

large.1465951432_JerseyDevilcloseup4.jpg

large.1134323931_JerseyDevilcloseup6.jpg

• Like 1

They sent to this weather guy twice for live shots and the first time they had issues with the coaster. Second shot it took a minute or two to get the ride cycling again...

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/video/5673325-matt-peterson-rides-six-flags-great-adventures-jersey-devil-coaster/

I see a few people I know in this video. :) 

3 hours ago, mkj3322 said:

I was pleasantly surprised. Very fun. The ride was running slow, but there was some good air and hang time. Hate to see this ride also fall victim to the creepy/annoying loose article policy. 

Is it really so hard to put cubbies in the stations? I mean that wouldn’t really work with Jersey Devil as the train is continuously moving, but for rides like El Toro, Kingda Ka, Zumanjaro, and Joker, the lockers are wholly unnecessary. If Wonder Woman can have cubbies, why can’t the other rides?

• Like 1

It's not like the old days. You can't just leave $1000 dollar phones sitting around in a cubby waiting to be stolen unfortunately. 

I just don't see the harm in wearing cargo shorts and stowing your items. It almost makes me want to avoid the newer rides because of the hastle and is definitely part of my choice to not renew my pass.

Fun fact about Jersey Devil. There is a poster in the station with an add for employment at the park. The add states "scan this QR code to learn more". Scan it with what? 😂

Also, you needed to show your pass today to get a wrist band for the ride. So I had to grab my phone, walk up to the entrance, show my pass on my phone, turn around and walk back to the paid lockers. What a joke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, NKMM10893 said:

Is it really so hard to put cubbies in the stations? I mean that wouldn’t really work with Jersey Devil as the train is continuously moving, but for rides like El Toro, Kingda Ka, Zumanjaro, and Joker, the lockers are wholly unnecessary. If Wonder Woman can have cubbies, why can’t the other rides?

Zumanjaro has some cubby bins on the ground, I think only the middle tower has bins. Its not setup well. Nitro sometimes enforces the no loose articles policy including keys, mainly just in the spring. 

Personally I think its stupid to bring expensive electronic gadgets into a theme park. 

Edited by The Master

I rode it today! 3 times, and my first time was in the back seat. I want to put a review here since I feel like the people reading will be interested to hear how someone's experience was.

The first drop really feels like a catapult in the backseat, but not to the severity of El Toro. Still, it is a great drop. There is some shuddering and shimmying of the train over the segments, but I don't feel the pain compares to the current roughness of El Toro. The inversions are nice, and the airtime hills are decent (it's tough, maybe impossible, to outshine El Toro's sustained air). It's a lot of different elements compiled into one ride which makes it not feel repetitive.

It is not the "hands down best ride in the park", at least to me after giving it a few rides...but it's a fantastic ride with a wide variety of forces. The backseat gets a LOT of good drops, especially the first drop, the airtime hill, the drop off the turnaround and the drop out of the MCBR. I don't know where I'd put it in park rankings, but for overall experience I'd say Toro/JDC/Nitro are the top three. Kingda Ka is awesome but it doesn't have the completeness of the other three.

It breaks down a lot due to the restraints, and when a train doesn't clear the final brake run, the MCBR hits really hard and completely neuters the ending of the ride. Luckily that doesn't happen often (if at all) when they are cranking trains out. It's a wonderful ride, but not something that eclipses El Toro (in its best days). Though, El Toro is quite brutal in spots nowadays, which slightly knocks it down a peg in my opinion.

Another last thing to add is that there is no seatbelts, which surprised me because I heard there are seatbelts on WWGLC. It makes the loading process really quick and seamless. I actually am happy that it's this way, the ops just have to push down and there's no difficulty unloading passengers.

Edited by Gyrotron

On 6/11/2021 at 3:14 AM, Gyrotron said:

How are the lines for the season pass holder event? I'd imagine a lot of guests have season passes, but it sounds like everyone who has ridden JDC got several re-rides in. 

We are here now, and there's a decent amount of people here. (More than I was expecting!)

Haven't been over to JDC yet though. 

Rode twice today.  Both times was on the Mid-Course for multiple minutes and had an evac at the end-brakes on the second.  Hopefully they can get all the operations figured out.

10 hours ago, lynn41103 said:

I haven't seen any mention of a single rider line. I assume there isn't one?

There was not, at least during the preview event. It didn't seem like there was a line for one, the only line separate from the regular queue seemed to be for the Flash Pass.

I managed to ride it once yesterday, in the front-middle (row 5).

So I can safely say that the middle is good, not great. I would've rode more, considering the line for the seasonpassholder/members was VERY short... the ride brokedown for over an hour while we were waiting in line, and the 10 minute wait turned into over an hour wait, and considering we had somewhere to be we unfortunately only rode once.

I've heard the backrow is fantastic so I cannot wait to give it another go, but of course you can't choose your seats so it is unfortunate.

So as a one-time middle rider; my review is the ride is good in the middle, not great, not mind-blowing, definitely slow in the middle, and the air-time is meh at best. The stall and turnaround are still very good in the middle though!

I'm sure the GP would be perfectly satisficed with the middle, but for me; a coaster nerd who's been on many many roller coasters, I think that this ride is simply good in the middle. But definitely cannot wait to ride in the back because I've heard the airtime is incredible!

1 hour ago, Sluggo77 said:

Isn’t everyone a single rider per say?

You would think so, but people try to ride in their group and that leaves empty seats on certain trains. I was a single rider and they were looking for a party of 3 or less and couldn't find one since the only people they ask/call out to are the ones that are up next in line (past the operator booth). Luckily, it was the back of the train and that's how I got a backseat ride! 

I hope that there is a single rider line, even if it's 2 seats designated in the train for single rider. That line could move decently quick. Plus, they could give additional empty seats to single riders! Most people are in groups, so it would be perfect for those of us who ride alone.