VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Miscellaneous Mumblings

Thrill-Pics

• 3 weeks later...

The weather the last several days have been terrible here. 20 degrees below normal and rain for the last 3 days and we still got a couple more to get through. Feels like late Nov rather than early Oct. Even when the rain finally stops everything will be muddy for awhile. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2022 at 6:56 PM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Temps topped 80 degrees today - NOVEMBER 6th.  No one should complain when the temps finally normalize and cooler temps arrive.  I am lookin’ at you The Master! ;)

I rather have 80s than the 40s. No heating bills, not freezing my butt off, easier to work outside, and more comfortable to go to the park! 

Sadly it seems most of the country has flipped to below normal temps. I probably won't go to the park this werkend due to the below normal temps. 

The one thing I won't get used to with the weather in Florida is that as soon as it gets to 70 degrees or lower, most people start to dress like it's 40 degrees back home. Yesterday I was walking around Busch Gardens in a t-shirt and shorts with no jacket and I saw so many people with winter jackets, hoodies, sweatshirts etc.

It's also too cold for water parks for most people here even at 80 degrees. Typhoon Lagoon last week had maybe 150 cars in the lot.

5 hours ago, Yoshi said:

The one thing I won't get used to with the weather in Florida is that as soon as it gets to 70 degrees or lower, most people start to dress like it's 40 degrees back home. Yesterday I was walking around Busch Gardens in a t-shirt and shorts with no jacket and I saw so many people with winter jackets, hoodies, sweatshirts etc.

It's also too cold for water parks for most people here even at 80 degrees. Typhoon Lagoon last week had maybe 150 cars in the lot.

The first year we were here in Orlando I laughed at the Floridians in coats when it drops below 70, but since then I've become one of them. You really lose your cold tolerance being here... 

I hope it at least takes a few years for that to happen to me. I like being able to go to the water parks during fall and winter to take advantage of the low crowds and wouldn’t want to have to stop going that time of year.

• 8 months later...

I'm starting to reconsider preferring summer to winter. I rarely minded walking around Great Adventure or Hersheypark even when the temperature was barely above freezing and in some cases below freezing.

I know it's been hot everywhere but I never expected to see around 2 months of the heat index being over 100 degrees and in some cases being 115 or more. In July I only went to Magic Kingdom for a few hours and less than an hour at Busch Gardens, just riding Iron Gwazi and redeeming my free items. I went to Busch Gardens last night for my first park trip this month and for less than an hour only because it had stormed and the temperature was finally lower. Thanks to low crowds I still was able to ride Iron Gwazi, Sheikra 3 times and the log flume twice.

I had to leave Great Adventure and Hershey early due to cold temps. With HITP I mainly go during daylight hours and can only stay a little bit after sunset even with a heavy winter jacket. Often my fingers become painfull in the cold even with gloves on. When you are out of cold weather for awhile you forget how much it sucks.

I agree about it being painful. One time I took off my glove to buckle the belt on Green Lantern and just touching the cold metal for a few seconds was awful.

I still still can tolerate the cold for now I guess. The few days this year it was in the low 50s out, I was walking around with shorts and a t-shirt like normal. Although to be fair, even back in PA I would wear shorts even if it was barely above freezing and I wasn't going to be outside for more than 30 seconds like walking from a building to the car.

• 5 months later...

It was strange to ride the Sky Ride at Busch Gardens Tampa today. I haven't ridden a regular sky ride with the same type of cabins at Great Adventure's Skyway anywhere else since a trip to Busch Gardens Williamsburg around 20 years ago.

I kept thinking when the car is going to go past the Dream Street Fountain or the Boardwalk area even though I of course knew I wasn't there.

• Like 1

With how long it was closed, even though they kept saying it was going to reopen, I wasn’t expecting it. 

Besides the views of the animals, I also liked how much time it saved me. Normally I spend so much time walking from ride to ride but with it open, I was able to ride Sheikra 3 times, Iron Gwazi, Montu and Kumba once each plus the Skyride twice in just over 90 minutes. 

• 1 month later...

So today the Battleship New Jersey is being moved from Camden to the Philly Navel Yards for drydock refurbishment. First time its been moved since 2001. 

• Like 1