VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Miscellaneous Mumblings

Thrill-Pics

4 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

This storm knocked out my electric.  Nothing like having to stay home and now without power.  Fun fun fun!

So sorry. Sounds like a drag.

4 hours ago, Medusa42 said:

I got tired of that happening at my house and put in a whole home generator.

Lucky. I want to do that but I have so many other things that need attention first. Enjoy

28 minutes ago, Tbone112499 said:

The storm is getting worse near me. I'm worried the power might go and I still have classes to worry about today 😬

Good luck. The storm seems to have passed by now down here. Thunder has stopped and the rain is letting up. It was so windy this morning the tree limbs that landed on my roof sounded like bodies.

10 hours ago, The Master said:

They can only keep the quarantine going so long before people get sick of it and cause civil unrest. The aftermath of the quaratines may  end up worse than the virus itself. 

Well, if there is civil unrest and that has people out of their homes the virus will come back strong and make a large number of those people sick and the movement will be quashed.

1 hour ago, scott said:

Well, if there is civil unrest and that has people out of their homes the virus will come back strong and make a large number of those people sick and the movement will be quashed.

That is one possible scenario. My main point is the government can only keep the lockdown going for a limited amount of time before it backfires and things go FUBAR anyway. People can only tolerate it for so long before they decide "screw it, I'll take my chances," hits critical mass, especially with Sumner fast approaching. By that point, the government better have a vaccine or its FUBAR.

It looks like Dorney isn't planning on opening until July 1st at the earliest. They were selling daily Fast Lane starting on May 15th, now the earliest date it can be purchased for is July 1st. Hershey is planning on opening in early June according to the e-mail they sent out. Dorney and all Cedar Fair parks are having 2020 passes expire at the end of 2021, Hershey is going to allow 2020 passes to be used until June 2021.

Edit- the July 1st date appears to be for all Cedar Fair parks.

On 4/14/2020 at 12:07 PM, The Master said:

That is one possible scenario. My main point is the government can only keep the lockdown going for a limited amount of time before it backfires and things go FUBAR anyway. People can only tolerate it for so long before they decide "screw it, I'll take my chances," hits critical mass, especially with Sumner fast approaching. By that point, the government better have a vaccine or its FUBAR.

The problem is that if you lift the lockdown too early you'll just have a second wave that could be even worse than the first one. I think many people don't understand how bad this could be if we start reopening things too early. I'd rather them wait longer to be safe than to rush to get things back to normal

Edited by SFGadv123
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, SFGadv123 said:

The problem is that if you lift the lockdown too early you'll just have a second wave that could be even worse than the first one. I think many people don't understand how bad this could be if we start reopening things too early. I'd rather them wait longer to be safe than to rush to get things back to normal

Many experts are saying a second wave is inevitable, and the lockdown should continue until 2021 or even 2022. But that will not happen  because society would collapse from the lack of everyone working to keep it going for that long. If politicians try to force people to stay inside as everything falls apart, it would set off SHTF. The mayor of LA stated he expects two more shutdowns this year. Many state govenors have said they don't want to lift the lockdowns until there is a vaccine which is still likely years away in R&D. 

What will happen is the current lockdown will end when society becomes too strained by it. Then after the inevitable spike in COVID19 deaths, there will be rolling lighter lockdowns based on regional basises determined by trends for probable outbreaks and hotspots. There will likely be a lot of ad hoc rules and plans put into place until the vaccine rolls out.

However, the longer the lockdown lasts, the more businesses will go under. Any additional lockdowns will also kill more businesses. If the current lockdown lasts until the end of summer, the ecomony will be in shambles. Not to mention that this could be used as an excuse to increase government oversight and reduce personal freedoms. China is already tracking and rating their peoples' travel history red, yellow, and green, which is scary 1984 stuff. 

Edited by The Master

Besides the virus issues, we have had pretty lousy weather for late April with unusually late in the season freezes and severe storms. Even if the parks were open for post Easter week, the weather would have been really crummy so at least we are not missing much.

The long term weather forecasts for the region are not good. They are saying the northeast is going to be stuck in a unseasonably chilly and rainy pattern for the next 3 weeks. No warm weather in the near future with temps running 10 to 15 degrees below normal. Guess it will help with social distancing which is not much condolence. Usually we at least get a few 70 degree days by now. 

If Six Flags reboots the Ride Rotation program, I could see Great America or Great Adventure's Superman get relocated to Six Flags St. Louis themed to The Spirit of St. Louis (It's frankly a missed opportunity). Great America and Fiesta are experimental parks so Great America would get a replacement. Not saying I would do that if I ran GA, but Tatsu is the only flying coaster West of the Mississippi.

This also comes from the idea of Hersehypark getting a B&M flyer in the future. Since Batwing will defiantly get scrapped because its a maintenance nightmare, that would leave a flyer out of the North East (or Great Lakes) region

^ I agree Batwing will be gone in the next five years.

I believe the next coaster that Great America will remove is Vertical Velocity along with the Yankee Clipper flume.  The Logger's Run flume will remain.  This opens up a large plot of land that can fit a Mack Power Splash, RMC Raptor (JDC clone), Axis Coaster, or something else.  The Yankee Clipper flume only operates on the busiest days and is a waste of space most of the year.

tdpAiMw.png

Went on a social distancing kayak ride today on the Prospertown lake with a friend that I used to work with at the park with, and I saw this ancient sign that says "Private No Trespassing S. Switlik" not sure if anyone has shared this but I thought it was pretty cool it's still there after all these years. 

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, gasmspiritblue said:

Went on a social distancing kayak ride today on the Prospertown lake with a friend that I used to work with at the park with, and I saw this ancient sign that says "Private No Trespassing S. Switlik" not sure if anyone has shared this but I thought it was pretty cool it's still there after all these years. 

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

That is really cool!  

• Like 1

Due to a lack of sports content, ESPN The Ocho is back tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/bD9qA2It97k

ESPN The Ocho
12:30 PM  2006 Krystal World Hamburger Eating Championship (Championship)  espn1
  1:30 PM  E:60 on ESPN8 Presented by Liberty Mutual                                                espn1
  2:30 PM  2018 Classic Tetris World Championship as part of The Ocho                espn1
  3:00 PM  2019 Golden Tee World Championship as part of The Ocho                    espn1
  3:30 PM  51st National Stone Skipping Competition as part of The Ocho             espn1
  4:30 PM  46th Annual Cherry Pit Spitting Championship as part of The Ocho      espn1
  5:00 PM  Dodge Juggle 3 as part of The Ocho                                                           espn1
  6:30 PM  2019 Stupid Robot Fighting League as part of The Ocho                        espn1
  7:00 PM  2019 World Sign Spinning Championship as part of The Ocho              espn1
  7:30 PM  2019 Jelle's Marble Runs as part of The Ocho                                          espn1
  8:30 PM  Slippery Stairs as part of The Ocho                                                            espn1
  9:00 PM  2019 Death Diving World Championship                                                  espn1

Sadly after today, we will return back to the chilly pattern that started in mid April. They are predicting that the much below normal pattern will last at least through the first half of May. Highs in the 50s and lows getting down near freezing some nights. So mucb for the merry month of May. Always seems like the country is stuck in a pattern where the northeast is much colder than the western half of the country. 

I know there are other people on here who may also be graduating college this year, so this is a shout out to us for the hard work that we've been through these past four (If you're getting your Bachelors like myself) years! Congrats to those getting their Masters and Doctorates as well! I know we don't get to graduate like most other classes do, but it's still a time to celebrate!

Congrats to all graduates  :smartass:

What degree does everyone have? I'm going to have a Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering :Crown:

• Like 5