VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Right Stuff Mach 1 Adventure

29yrswithaGApass

Which film presented in Great Adventure's simulator theater is your favorite?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which film presented in Great Adventure's simulator theater is your favorite?

• The Right Stuff - Mach 1 Adventure
    • Dino Island - Get Petrified
    • Dino Island II - Escape from Dino Island
    • SpongeBob Squarepants
    • Superstition - starring Elvira Mistress of the Dark

• 1 month later...

Just curious: does anyone know why they started the extremely tedious process of checking individual seatbelts a few years back? For the majority of the ride's lifetime they just let the computer check them, then had the operator tell the attendant the numbers of individual units that weren't registering. That process was much quicker and more professional, and it's the same procedure I've seen on every other simulator ride I've ever been on, so I'm just wondering what prompted the annoying change at ours.

Edited by pashacar

Sounds like someone must have done that and gotten hurt a few years ago. I wish the guests at our park weren't so stupid, because the new procedure slows down the line so intensely that I have to imagine capacity is less than half of what it was in early seasons. Sometimes you're waiting in line so long without the doors opening that you wonder if the ride is even operating, and it was never like that in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Being that we were all surprised by the return of Fail Me to the Moon and that the theater had no lines this whole season, we can expect a new film in the theater. And being that Angel liked my suggestion for a new film (my suggestion was The Funtastic World of Hanna-Barbera), there is a chance that a new film will replace the steaming pile that we currently have.

What do you think would happen to the theater in 2010?

• 3 months later...

I came up with a great idea for a ride film, based on the 1969 classic, Bullitt

Bullitt: the Ride

Exterior Change: Repaint the outside of the theater to look like a soundstage and paint "Soundstage No. 7" in the front (sound familiar). Remove the remaining Edwards Air Force Base theming and place some movie studio theming.

Queue: Place some TVs in the queue and have them play clips from certain Steve McQueen movies (i.e. Papillon, Towering Inferno). Install fake movie posters near the preshow entry doors.

Preshow: Riders play the role of tourists who take part in the studio tour. In the preshow, we see that a remake of Bullitt is shooting at the moment. We also see that the main star is being a wuss about recreating the famous car chase. He tells the director that stunts like that aren't suitable for "a star as macho as him" and demands that a stunt driver be used. The director becomes desperate since he can't hire a stunt driver at the moment. He approches us and offers us the job as stunt drivers. Without giving us time to think it over, we are ushered out into the set and we are strapped into our cars.

Ride: Pretty much us recreating the famous chase from the original movie. Speeding through the streets of San Fransisco and the freeway.

• 1 month later...

:nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd: :nerd: :nerd::nerd:
:nerd::nerd::nerd::puke::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd: :nerd: :nerd::nerd:
:nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd: :nerd: :nerd::nerd:
:nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd:
:nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd:

:byebw:

This will be the first season in 16 years without a show in the simultor theater. But change is sometimes a good thing!

Im a little dissapontied that the park is removing the sim, i mean im sure the future holds something good, but come on, the lines at the park are long enough, this just make the other rides waits that much longer. So now twister in 09 with a 40 min wait time just went up to 50 min because the amount of people to ride ratio is way off. plus Kids that are to big for kiddie rides are now down another ride causing them to either come to the park and go on the very few rides they can, or not come to the park at all. wheres the family fun if theres nothing for everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah but I really like Elvira and the Circus Psycho theming has been really lacking in recent years. The only Circus Psycho theme they have anymore are just the two archs, they don't even bother with the banner flags going across the game buildings anymore.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From Screamscape:

Park News - (6/21/10)

A new rumor has come up over the weekend that may anger more than a few fans of Six Flags Great Adventure. If there is any truth to it, the new management calling the shots may be considering removing the park's infamous Great American Scream Machine coaster. While at first the move seems shocking… keep in mind that GASM's sister ride, Shockwave at the Chicago park, also met with a similar fate a few years ago. Of course it's also well know that Shockwave, the first of the three Arrow made Six Flags Megaloopers (Viper at SF Magic Mountain was the final one) did suffer from a fair share of problems that the other two did not.

So the next question would obviously be to ask what reason there would be to remove such an iconic ride? According to the discussion going on at CoasterFusion, plans have been spotted at the park that now place CHANG… the B&M Stand-Up Coaster from Kentucky Kingdom, as possibly going into GASM's spot. Up until now Chang has been all but confirmed for Six Flags Great America near Chicago… with a few pieces and the trains already spotted on site. Meetings have been taking place with the local government as well to get a height variance permit to build the ride there as well, with the final approval meeting expected to take place on Monday, June 21st.

While I haven't seen it myself, I've heard a rumor that the Six Flags issue may have been unexpectedly removed from the agenda for tonight's meeting, which only adds fuel to the fire that Chang could now be looking for a new home. Of course the online version of the agenda still shows it there, waiting to be finalized tonight. I had been told that as soon as Al Weber took control of Six Flags, he began to made huge and immediate changes to the plans set in place for the 2011 season by Shaprio. I guess we'll know more once the Monday meeting is over if the proposal to add Chang has been dropped or not. Stay tuned!

From NewsPlusNotes:

Monday, June 21, 2010<H3 class="post-title entry-title">Six Flags On The Move. Literally. </H3>First some factual news - Six Flags has announced, err, well filed an 8k with the SEC detailing their plan to formally relocate their headquarters from New York City to Dallas, Texas. The company has long had offices in Dallas, but now that will be the one and only.

They've also cleaned house a bit, naming at least three Vice Presidents that have been let go. Between the reduction in staff and the condensing of the headquarters they will save around $16 million a year.

Now as for the rumor news...

GreatAmericanScreamMachinePostcard.jpgI don't usually post the latest big industry rumors, but this one sounds like it might have some guts. Suddenly the news that Six Flags Great Adventure's Great American Scream Machine is being removed for the ride formerly known as Chang is spreading these interwebs like wildfire.

Why do I think it might be true? Well, for starters most of the Six Flags 50th anniversary projects were Mark Shapiro's decision, and sadly he's gone from the company. New management means new plans. Next, Chang at Six Flags Great America never made a stitch of sense to me. They already have a stand-up coaster! Also, I believe the next round of approvals that Great America had planned for the ride have been suddenly canceled. And as much as Great American Scream Machine is visually impressive and historically significant to the park, well, it hasn't aged gracefully.

The ride is rumored to close on July 1st so I guess if this one holds any water we won't have to wait long to find out.

• 2 months later...

With the theater sitting empty it would be a great time to remodel and re purpose it. I think like Dorney did, it could be turned into the main show venue at the park, and it could easily be setup so it could be accessed from the Outer Mall area with a set of gates. That way it could be a year round climate controlled facility which could be used for (or even rented out for) events even when the park was closed. It's a simple box which is designed to be a theater and could be retrofit with a stage and good seating.

I rather see the sims return. My guess is thatthe park will use the building for storage, you can see they store prizes in the old queue now. Maybe at somepoint they will knock it down and put in something new. Hopefully not another Johnny Rockets.