VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

New for 2024- Flash: Vertical Velocity & More!

I wasn't expecting to see Six Flags work with Vekoma again but hearing how great the new generation Vekoma coasters are in Europe and Asia, it's good to see that Great Adventure is the first park in the US to get one. The Super Boomerang looks like it is a lot more fun than the original Boomerang model.

1 hour ago, Yoshi said:

I wasn't expecting to see Six Flags work with Vekoma again but hearing how great the new generation Vekoma coasters are in Europe and Asia, it's good to see that Great Adventure is the first park in the US to get one. The Super Boomerang looks like it is a lot more fun than the original Boomerang model.

yeah, the super boomerang looks awesome that makes the original boomerang model look like viper from six flags great adventure

12 hours ago, lynn41103 said:

Harry, any word on what to expect for these “upgrades” to the Log Flume and Big Wheel? Happy to see them getting love but curious about how extensive the upgrades would be. 

Both of these upgrades should be quite extensive.  I suspect the Giant Wheel will be totally dismantled, cleaned, and repainted with an entire new lighting package and refurbished cars including possibly the introduction of the long missing cars redone.

I don't know if the Log Flume will see the original color scheme (red and green) but the entire turntable is being refurbished with new sub structure and decking.  Also it is probable the trough will be relined and new conveyors installed.

It's the perfect gift for two rides celebrating their 50th birthdays!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

I think it is likely that with the Log Flume reopening in 2024 and the Safari Off Road Adventure trucks being re-added next year, BOTW restaurant will make a return.

I have to agreed with you, this building is a restaurant, not a vip lounge, if they want to build a vip lounge, why can't they use the old red tent on dream street as a vip lounge or the old season pass center next to superman

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 7:18 PM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

I think it is likely that with the Log Flume reopening in 2024 and the Safari Off Road Adventure trucks being re-added next year, BOTW restaurant will make a return.

Your thoughts on whether or not the the drive-through safari will continue along with the Off-Road Adventure trucks returning.  I don't find their press release very clear on this matter.  Also, their description of the safari resort isn't very clear either.  The photo they show is of a more permanent structure and their description includes fine dining, while the name actually calls it a resort.  Then, they also ask you to make reservations now, however, the link to reservations does not work and their is no pricing available.

6 hours ago, Daved Thomson said:

Your thoughts on whether or not the the drive-through safari will continue along with the Off-Road Adventure trucks returning.  I don't find their press release very clear on this matter.  Also, their description of the safari resort isn't very clear either.  The photo they show is of a more permanent structure and their description includes fine dining, while the name actually calls it a resort.  Then, they also ask you to make reservations now, however, the link to reservations does not work and their is no pricing available.

I believe cars will no longer be touring the Safari and revert back to the SORA trucks.  The difference this time seems to be that those that only want to do the Safari and not the theme park can access the trucks from the Safari entrance plaza.

The glamping tents in the rendering look very close to the catering tents in Camp Aventura.  I would expect the new area to take over those facilities.  

ca.jpg

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

I believe cars will no longer be touring the Safari and revert back to the SORA trucks.  The difference this time seems to be that those that only want to do the Safari and not the theme park can access the trucks from the Safari entrance plaza.

The glamping tents in the rendering look very close to the catering tents in Camp Aventura.  I would expect the new area to take over those facilities.  

ca.jpg

so, this is where they going build the resort?, I thought they going to build a village in the old safari expedition center with the safari trucks the attraction for this area, maybe this could cause the original 2005 hotel idea to get revived that was going to be built on the yellowish parking lot next to kingda ka

Edited by harry2004

14 hours ago, The Master said:

I will be disappointed if the park discontinues the drive thru safari which looks very likely. This glamping idea sounds like something Shapiro would have  thought up. 

Though, as 29yrs said, it looks like there will still be a way to "drive thru" it in one of their vehicles, without having to enter the regular park (unlike the first time they changed it).

So, you still get the drive thru feel without having to use your own car (as they used to offer years ago with their own bus, as I remember).

On 9/6/2023 at 2:27 PM, BillyG said:

Though, as 29yrs said, it looks like there will still be a way to "drive thru" it in one of their vehicles, without having to enter the regular park (unlike the first time they changed it).

So, you still get the drive thru feel without having to use your own car (as they used to offer years ago with their own bus, as I remember).

That is what I am disappointed about, I prefer driving my own car vs riding in a bus. 

On 9/1/2023 at 11:46 PM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

With the return to SORA, I hope they keep the rest of Camp Aventura. I love the feel of getting off there, exploring a bit, and getting on with a new guide. Makes the attraction feel so much longer and more immersive.

I guess I continue to be amazed at all the incredibly bad financial expenditures this park (heck, I guess the entire company) makes from one season to the next with little thought beyond the next season.  They just spent a good sum of money repaving and replanting trees in the safari, one would think with the intention of maintaining it as a drive-thru safari (at least optionally).  Besides, it was as a drive-thru safari that they were at least able to generate some revenue initially during COVID.  I have to imagine that if they're simply providing the option to board SORA trucks at the safari entrance, they will no longer be providing a safari only option, meaning people will be forced to purchase the higher priced theme park ticket even if they only intend to visit the safari, and this, I believe will force some people to opt out of a visit altogether.

• Like 2

There is also the fact that operating the trucks does have costs such as insurance and fuel. Those surplus trucks usually use multifuel engines which are not all that efficient. Moreover, military vehicles are hard and expenise to work on due to their size and weight. They require extra heavy duty repair shop equipment, especially lifting equipment to work on them. It takes more than a common floor jack to be able change a tire on those 5 ton trucks.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Daved Thomson said:

I guess I continue to be amazed at all the incredibly bad financial expenditures this park (heck, I guess the entire company) makes from one season to the next with little thought beyond the next season.  They just spent a good sum of money repaving and replanting trees in the safari, one would think with the intention of maintaining it as a drive-thru safari (at least optionally).  Besides, it was as a drive-thru safari that they were at least able to generate some revenue initially during COVID.  I have to imagine that if they're simply providing the option to board SORA trucks at the safari entrance, they will no longer be providing a safari only option, meaning people will be forced to purchase the higher priced theme park ticket even if they only intend to visit the safari, and this, I believe will force some people to opt out of a visit altogether.

The trucks that will leave from the Safari entrance plaza will be for those that just want to do the Safari and not enter the theme park.

• Like 1

Thanks for the clarification and I think adding this option is the right move, meaning there remains the option to purchase a safari only ticket.  But, I maintain the opinion that management (and, perhaps this has always been the case) is very short sighted and reactionary when it comes to capital expenditures.  Maybe this has become the norm for the industry, I don't know.  My example of repaving the safari and then making it SORA only, again may have been the result of the high turnover among top management at the park and corporation with COVID even playing a role.  Regardless of why, the end result is expenditures that are very short sighted with no thought beyond the next season.

• Like 1

Its a story as old as history, every new regime always undue and changes everything the previous regime had setup to establish their new leadership. The changes aren't always good. Also many businessmen are taught to avoid the sunk cost fallacy.

• Like 3