VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Batman & Robin: The Chiller

29yrswithaGApass

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which was better - Batman or Robin?

• Batman (blue track)
    • Robin (red track)
    • I was only able to ride Batman
    • I was only able to ride Robin
  2. 2. Which restraints were better on Chiller?

• Neck harnesses
    • Lap Bars
  3. 3. Which was better?

• Inverted rolls (1997-2006)
    • In-line humps (2007)

No problem man! I have the same feelings as you do! By the way, I created one of those memorial videos(Bathardyzman- my account). Anyways, nothing comes close to that LIMs launch. It's just breathtaking that first launch. "3,2,1 go!" Man those were great times. Kingda Ka is the only ride now that you can experience that rush (when it's open). Intamin has a better design than Premier Rides did and it would be great for the rebirth of Chiller to have some sort of design like that. With the amount of people who want this ride back, voicing our opinions to the GA team might and I stress, might, help our cause to bring the Chiller back.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you got yourself about 10 views today... in the past 24 hours i have been trolling almost every video about the Chiller trying to find a lead, but i am talking specifically about this one --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SAS2-EfL-E

I dont know why but I love seeing this stuff even though it makes me incredibly sad to see it, and i get goosebumps when i watch this stuff. And, I totally agree about voicing our opinions. It may sound like I have no life, I assure you i do, in a survey about upcoming ideas from the park, there was a comment box in the end about anything. I wrote a 1234 word, 4 page comment or letter you can call it, talking about the Chiller because i felt like maybe I could do just something to help. I was considering posting something about a petition to bring back the Chiller because most people who want it to come back don't post to this or take the great adventure surveys. But then i thought I would come off stupid. However, with enough people, Im sure we could influence them to reconsider the Chiller. ANd, if they ever do rebuild it exactly where and how it was, I assure you now that I will be there opening day to go on it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you got yourself about 10 views today... in the past 24 hours i have been trolling almost every video about the Chiller trying to find a lead, but i am talking specifically about this one --http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SAS2-EfL-E

I dont know why but I love seeing this stuff even though it makes me incredibly sad to see it, and i get goosebumps when i watch this stuff. And, I totally agree about voicing our opinions. It may sound like I have no life, I assure you i do, in a survey about upcoming ideas from the park, there was a comment box in the end about anything. I wrote a 1234 word, 4 page comment or letter you can call it, talking about the Chiller because i felt like maybe I could do just something to help. I was considering posting something about a petition to bring back the Chiller because most people who want it to come back don't post to this or take the great adventure surveys. But then i thought I would come off stupid. However, with enough people, Im sure we could influence them to reconsider the Chiller. ANd, if they ever do rebuild it exactly where and how it was, I assure you now that I will be there opening day to go on it.

Hahaha Yes! Hey I have one of the highest viewed memorial vids of the Chiller! :D I'm happy about that.

You're talking to me about having no life? I do the exact same thing you do. I watch youtube vids of old launches of the ride. That 'roar' is so memorizing! You could hear that roar everywhere through that park! What i'd do for one more ride! Let me assure you that if petitioning for the ride gets it back for us, I'll be the first one to operate it.

everyone says that there is no chance of it ever returning but i dont get why they kept the station there, the exit ramp, the observatory, etc. If there was no chance of it returning, why leave it there? Take it out, unless they are too cheap to pay to have it removed. I am aware as well that they use the observatory during frightfest, but after not being able to sell it(which im not sure is actually happening or not) hopefully they realize it is no good in its current state and decide to repair it if they still wanted to sell it. But,after repairing it, why not see if it works as it was supposed to? You know, the 40th anniversary of the park is coming up, and it would make a great anniversary present...

I disagree that "Batman & Robin: The Chiller" is a piece of crap. I'd argue the ride was hampered by the missing LIMs, as well as its expensive operating costs. Whether or not Premier Rides guaranteed operations with the reduced LIM count is another story. Regardless, the ride proved more problematic and costly than Great Adventure Management wanted to be responsible for. Even Mark Kane acknowledged B&R:TC never saw the care it needed.

Premier removed the heartline rolls at their expense, to prevent the ride from valleying with riders in an inverted position. Besides making evacuations problematic, it can be dangerous for people to remain in that position for long periods. B&R:TC deserved its fate, but I blame Six Flags Corporate and their refusal to pay beyond the minimal maintenance costs for its death.

The ride remaining unsold has everything to do with its reputation. God forbid something happened, would you want to defend installing a ride with its repair history? Very few parks can afford to operate a dual launched LIM shuttle coaster, and that's why they're offering to install a single tracked variant. I wouldn't be surprised to see the rejected side scrapped beyond that. Whoever bought this ride must regret taking it. Selling a SBNO attraction is difficult. Selling a pile of metal sitting on a farm must seem impossible. If the buyer broke even at this point, I'd be shocked.

Edited by Thunderbolt

^It's true. Not too many parks can upkeep a LIM shuttle coaster. Especially a duel launched. SFGA couldn't keep up with the high maintenance of the ride. It's all about the least amount of cost while giving the park guest something to enjoy!

Premier removed the heartline rolls at their expense, to prevent the ride from valleying with riders in an inverted position. Besides making evacuations problematic, it can be dangerous for people to remain in that position for long periods. B&R:TC deserved its fate, but I blame Six Flags Corporate and their refusal to pay beyond the minimal maintenance costs for its death.

The ride remaining unsold has everything to do with its reputation. God forbid something happened, would you want to defend installing a ride with its repair history? Very few parks can afford to operate a dual launched LIM shuttle coaster, and that's why they're offering to install a single tracked variant. I wouldn't be surprised to see the rejected side scrapped beyond that. Whoever bought this ride must regret taking it. Selling a SBNO attraction is difficult. Selling a pile of metal sitting on a farm must seem impossible. If the buyer broke even at this point, I'd be shocked.

I understand that it is dangerous to have people stuck upside down, and i understand that its repair history is terrible, but keep in mind this was a prototype ride and its technology was from 1997. That is 15 years ago. Our technology has changed so much from then until now. Look at both the Mr. Freeze rides. They operate just fine, and it is a huge hit in their parks. Now imagine stripping the Chiller of all its technical components, installing new technology, and changing the spike's LIMs to say launch wheels to push the car back downwards. It uses half of the energy it normally does which means more money saved. Then, having newer technology equals less breakdowns and maintenence, which in turn equals more money. This extra money can then be used towards the other side (most likely the Batman side since they focus on the Robin side) to keep it repaired. Then, having switched the LIMs on the Batman spike and having the new technology saves money on the Batman side as well, which means double the savings. And, you said that they're selling a single track variant. This IS true, but it would have to be the Batman side, which is a base to the ride. Some of the Robin supports branch off from the Batman supports, so Batman would HAVE to be the single track variant they are trying to sell unless the buying company wanted to pay for new supports, and judging by your "whoever bought this ride must regret taking it" quote, they most likely would not want to pay for new supports, so they definitely would not have broken even either as you stated. Lastly, you talked about the ride's reputation. Judging by this, any company interested knows that the Batman side almost never ran, so if the Batman side actually is the single track variant which I explained above, who would want to buy the Batman side? It almost never ran, and im sure potential buyers are aware of this fact. AND, buy the way, it also sounds like the sale fell through, and that it is up for bidding again.

I understand that it is dangerous to have people stuck upside down, and i understand that its repair history is terrible, but keep in mind this was a prototype ride and its technology was from 1997. That is 15 years ago. Our technology has changed so much from then until now. Look at both the Mr. Freeze rides. They operate just fine, and it is a huge hit in their parks. Now imagine stripping the Chiller of all its technical components, installing new technology, and changing the spike's LIMs to say launch wheels to push the car back downwards. It uses half of the energy it normally does which means more money saved. Then, having newer technology equals less breakdowns and maintenence, which in turn equals more money. This extra money can then be used towards the other side (most likely the Batman side since they focus on the Robin side) to keep it repaired. Then, having switched the LIMs on the Batman spike and having the new technology saves money on the Batman side as well, which means double the savings.

Let's disregard the current status of the Chiller. If the sale fell through, and the rebuilding of the Chiller was up for discussion, your plan may persuade the park to do so! Saving money with the current technology we have now will satisfy both sides: The park higher ups (with the costs and expenses) and the park guests, having a really great coaster back!

T- speaking of the Batman's side counterpart, M.F operates without a hitch! I rarely hear about break downs and maintenance issues. That duel station provides for that extra occupancy and satisfies the customers so they don't have to wait as long.

Exactly. And, if the rumors about Bizarro are true, the park could sell that. I would hate to see it go because it is a great ride with barely any wait time, but it doesn't get enough riders because it is all the way on the outermost edge of the park. So, selling Bizarro will get a lot of money because it is in perfectly good condition, or they could even get rid of the dark knight, which i absolutely despise. im sure other people hate it as well, so selling it and all the effects will also make a lot of money because the ride is in even better shape than Bizarro is, and it is newer. However, it seems as if the whole park is trying to appeal to the whole family idea. I feel as if there is enough rides for little kids, so the dark knight is kind of a waste. But, it will most likely not be removed because of how new it is. Probably the only realistic way of seeing a return of the Chiller is that the park cuts down on its expenses and saves as much money as it can. On the other hand, if they do rebuild the Chiller, Im sure there will be a huge and sudden span where they make a lot of money because of people returning for the ride.

Maybe this could be the "new" attraction for 2013? Bringing back the old Chiller, instead of a transporting a ride from another park (In all honesty, SF hasn't had a custom coaster since Toro about 6 years ago) is such a smart idea! Cutting back on expenses is a small price to pay for this ride! It's just like they did with Bizarro. Medusa was loosing riders and SF was loosing money. Renaming it and putting in effects allowed riders to experience something "new" while giving SF a break with the costs. Rebuilding the Chiller with the advancements will have both rides running simultaneously! More riders means more money and re-population of that part of Movietown!

No, it's still there; that's what I responded to. Read carefully.

ok i made a post, but i guess it got added on to this one by the admin. and i didnt know where it went. i then looked back at this one and saw it because i asked for a link to the thread you were talking about. The thread is this whole discussion

Maybe this could be the "new" attraction for 2013? Bringing back the old Chiller, instead of a transporting a ride from another park (In all honesty, SF hasn't had a custom coaster since Toro about 6 years ago) is such a smart idea! Cutting back on expenses is a small price to pay for this ride! It's just like they did with Bizarro. Medusa was loosing riders and SF was loosing money. Renaming it and putting in effects allowed riders to experience something "new" while giving SF a break with the costs. Rebuilding the Chiller with the advancements will have both rides running simultaneously! More riders means more money and re-population of that part of Movietown!

Six Flags won't reinstalll the ride for the same reason it hasn't been purchased by anyone else: as Thunderbolt said, God forbid something happened - would you want to defend installing a ride with its repair history?

Six Flags won't reinstalll the ride for the same reason it hasn't been purchased by anyone else: as Thunderbolt said, God forbid something happened, would you want to defend installing a ride with its repair history?

Same thing can be said about any ride. God forbid something happens on that ride, is the park going to tear it down immidiately? Most likely not--there have been injuries on many rides before. And as batmanrobinchiller said, "bringing back the ride" is going to have new technology and new improvements to help improve the safety of the ride. With today's standards, any park is not going to bring in a ride that is unsafe--it is going to test it and test it and test it until it is flawless, and to the Chiller, this may mean raising the max height on the spikes or the speed at which the cars are pushed back down to make it valley between the cobra rolls if it REALLY had to. The park is not that stupid where they would put in the same ride with the same problems as it had before. Seriously, give the park some credit...they're not that stupid...

Chiller is NEVER coming back to Great Adventure in any way shape or form. Not for 2013 as a new ride.

NEVER.

The Mr. Freeze coasters are very different rides and had just as many problems initially but didn't have the overall design problems that Chiller had. They also operate in parks that don't have to blow millions of dollars a year on the maintenance of one ride (Kingda Ka).

On top of that, Bizarro is not being sold. IF it leaves GA it is going to another Six Flags park, and even that is supposedly not happening at the present time.

Now please, NO MORE discussion of "Chiller should come back" or "Chiller will come back" or even "I wish Chiller would get rebuilt so I can ride it". We don't know where Chiller is going or who owns it right now, but we know with a great deal of certainty that it will never come back to Great Adventure.

The Mr. Freeze coasters are very different rides and had just as many problems initially but didn't have the overall design problems that Chiller had. They also operate in parks that don't have to blow millions of dollars a year on the maintenance of one ride (Kingda Ka).

On top of that, Bizarro is not being sold. IF it leaves GA it is going to another Six Flags park, and even that is supposedly not happening at the present time.

Now please, NO MORE discussion of "Chiller should come back" or "Chiller will come back" or even "I wish Chiller would get rebuilt so I can ride it". We don't know where Chiller is going or who owns it right now, but we know with a great deal of certainty that it will never come back to Great Adventure.

I agree that the parks do not have to worry about spending their money on one ride, but if the Mr. Freeze coasters were able to work out all the problems, then why can't a new Chiller do the same thing? Keep in mind that the Chiller was a prototype ride-- it was the FIRST EVER LIM launch coaster. Of course it is going to have some problems with it, that is a given seeing as it is a prototype. But that is usually what a prototype is--something to modify a legit copy after/off of. Anyways, no one ever said that a new Chiller would come back with the same exact design and same system...the park would work out all the knicks and kinks in it to make it run smoothly. If the Mr. Freeze coasters worked out its problems, why can't a new Chiller do the same thing? Secondly, I understand what the rumors are about Bizarro, and I understand that there are just as many people saying that it is going to stay as there are people saying it is going to leave. I understand what the ride-swap program is, and I can see why Bizarro could be next on the chopping block. It has relatively few riders because of its location and the fact that people are flat out lazy. Another popular ride to be rotated seems to be S:UF. However, most Six Flags Parks already have a lay-down coaster, so no park would really take Superman. And I don't see the park rotating any of the other rides like Nitro, Batman, El Toro, Green Lantern, Kingda Ka, etc. And besides, i was just throwing out some ideas that I thought might work. I don't think the Chiller is going to come back, but it would be nice to see it happen. Lastly, I never said that Chiller will definitely come back. I would love to see it, but unfortunately, I highly doubt that. And yes, I do wish the Chiller would be rebuilt, thus letting me ride it just once, but I am not complaining and crying that I want it back like a 7 year old would do. And besides, no one can say with certainty that it NEVER is coming back...there is always a chance that they could do something where they bring back an old ride or something, but I doubt that would happen to. With all due respect, you do not run the park and you do not make the final decision. Once again, with all due respect, i do not know you and/or what your job is, but I am fairly certain that you do not control the future of this ride single-handedly. And besides, with everything we know about the ride aside, wouldn't you like to see the Chiller return if it were to properly function without having any problems? I know i would.

I agree that the parks do not have to worry about spending their money on one ride, but if the Mr. Freeze coasters were able to work out all the problems, then why can't a new Chiller do the same thing? Keep in mind that the Chiller was a prototype ride-- it was the FIRST EVER LIM launch coaster. Of course it is going to have some problems with it, that is a given seeing as it is a prototype. But that is usually what a prototype is--something to modify a legit copy after/off of. Anyways, no one ever said that a new Chiller would come back with the same exact design and same system...the park would work out all the knicks and kinks in it to make it run smoothly. If the Mr. Freeze coasters worked out its problems, why can't a new Chiller do the same thing?

The problem was the layout. Basically you'd have to take Chiller and rebuild ALL of it to make it work. That would cost as much as a brand new coaster and it might still not work right because of underlying problems with the LIM design and the park's power supply. It makes more sense to buy a NEW coaster with no history of problems around it. At some point the park had to cut their losses. Spending millions MORE on a 10 year old coaster would have been pointless.

Secondly, I understand what the rumors are about Bizarro, and I understand that there are just as many people saying that it is going to stay as there are people saying it is going to leave. I understand what the ride-swap program is, and I can see why Bizarro could be next on the chopping block. It has relatively few riders because of its location and the fact that people are flat out lazy. Another popular ride to be rotated seems to be S:UF. However, most Six Flags Parks already have a lay-down coaster, so no park would really take Superman. And I don't see the park rotating any of the other rides like Nitro, Batman, El Toro, Green Lantern, Kingda Ka, etc. And besides, i was just throwing out some ideas that I thought might work. I don't think the Chiller is going to come back, but it would be nice to see it happen. Lastly, I never said that Chiller will definitely come back. I would love to see it, but unfortunately, I highly doubt that. And yes, I do wish the Chiller would be rebuilt, thus letting me ride it just once, but I am not complaining and crying that I want it back like a 7 year old would do. And besides, no one can say with certainty that it NEVER is coming back...there is always a chance that they could do something where they bring back an old ride or something, but I doubt that would happen to. With all due respect, you do not run the park and you do not make the final decision. Once again, with all due respect, i do not know you and/or what your job is, but I am fairly certain that you do not control the future of this ride single-handedly. And besides, with everything we know about the ride aside, wouldn't you like to see the Chiller return if it were to properly function without having any problems? I know i would.

With all due respect, I know enough of the people at the park who are decision makers to know that it will NEVER come back unless every person from the park's management, the corporate management and park maintenance was replaced with trained chimpanzees and I think even the chimps would be smart enough never to bring that piece of crap ride back to the park.

The problem was the layout. Basically you'd have to take Chiller and rebuild ALL of it to make it work. That would cost as much as a brand new coaster and it might still not work right because of underlying problems with the LIM design and the park's power supply. It makes more sense to buy a NEW coaster with no history of problems around it. At some point the park had to cut their losses. Spending millions MORE on a 10 year old coaster would have been pointless.

Why exactly would we have to rebuild all of it? What exactly is wrong with the track between the LIMs? It would have to be repaired a bit because of how long it sat unused, but the only thing I could really think of is that the LIMs' sections would have to be replaced. Making an entirely new coaster while there is perfectly fine track seems a bit rediculous to me. On this website at the bottom, it says that the equipment condition is in very good shape... I don't think that very good shape means that a whole new ride is needed.Also if you don't mind me asking, who do you know who is high up on the Six Flags team?

Edited by chillerrocked

The physical track layout caused a great deal of wear and tear on the trains and the track. The design was flawed which contributed to the LIMs constantly burning themselves out. Of course the website is saying it's in "very good condition", they are trying to sell it. The ride had nearly a quarter of the track replaced just before it was torn down and received fresh paint that year as well. If you have an old car you're trying to sell you say "it's in very good condition" and you don't mention the transmission is about to drop out. Physically the ride is in good condition, but its poor service record in the 10 years the park tried to operate it (which is well documented on the internet) says otherwise which is why it's rusting in a field.

I know quite a few people at Six Flags from the people in the corporate offices and the park from nearly 25 years of working for or with the park in various capacities.

The physical track layout caused a great deal of wear and tear on the trains and the track. The design was flawed which contributed to the LIMs constantly burning themselves out. Of course the website is saying it's in "very good condition", they are trying to sell it. The ride had nearly a quarter of the track replaced just before it was torn down and received fresh paint that year as well. If you have an old car you're trying to sell you say "it's in very good condition" and you don't mention the transmission is about to drop out. Physically the ride is in good condition, but its poor service record in the 10 years the park tried to operate it (which is well documented on the internet) says otherwise which is why it's rusting in a field.

I know quite a few people at Six Flags from the people in the corporate offices and the park from nearly 25 years of working for or with the park in various capacities.

I agree with you that the website isn't going to put in bad condition, but once again in the grand scheme of it, other LIM launches such as Joker's Jinx, and the reverse LIM coasters too like Mr. Freeze don't have as much wear and tear on the LIMs, none the less the cars. I believe that the reason they closed the ride was because of the accident that occured on June 28th 2007. Personally, I think they were going to keep running it even though some sources say it was going to close anyways. However, we can now look back on it and only improve ourselves. Also, once again, why can't a new Chiller have launch wheels to operate in reverse on the spike? It would cause wear and tear on the trains, but they wouldnt burn themselves out--they even cost less than the LIMs would. There would therefore be less of a power intake, which would then let us be able to launch them at the same time which was planned. There is an easier solution to one of the problems... Also you said you know people in the corporate offices... Im gonna guess that you currently work for Six Flags...? Once again if you don't mind me asking, if you do work for Six Flags, are you relatively high on the chain or no? You don't have to answer if this is too personal, but im curious...its pretty cool.

The other Premier LIM launched coasters are better designs. I really can't elaborate further, but to say the forces required with Chiller's layout were more stressful. The layout was poorly engineered which meant more force was needed than initially planned which burned out LIMs constantly. Many solutions were tried and nothing worked. I cannot explain the problems beyond that, but that is why the ride will never come back.

This is just an assumption with what we've heard over the rides history... but ill go to say that When you look at Mr. Freeze and then you look at Chiller, The chiller had a much more COMPACT layout then mr. freeze did, causing more wear and tear.... also after they modified the ride, it still needed the same speed to get through the main element which i think was the cause of its dismiss. I personally think that robin was just not ment to take that cobra roll going 70 mph...never mind those zero g rolls and i'm no expert nor do I have any sources, but Chiller was a disaster from the day it was announced. TwoCents.gif

This is just an assumption with what we've heard over the rides history... but ill go to say that When you look at Mr. Freeze and then you look at Chiller, The chiller had a much more COMPACT layout then mr. freeze did, causing more wear and tear.... also after they modified the ride, it still needed the same speed to get through the main element which i think was the cause of its dismiss. I personally think that robin was just not ment to take that cobra roll going 70 mph...never mind those zero g rolls and i'm no expert nor do I have any sources, but Chiller was a disaster from the day it was announced. TwoCents.gif

If it can't take the cobra rolls at 70 mph, then why not raise the height of it? I know it is not as simple as that, but can't they raise it's height then? It will slow it down, but then allow it to have enough speed to make it through the 0-g roll and up the spike...also you said that the Chiller has a more compact layout, can you explain this a bit...?

The length of Mr. Freeze is 1300' while the batman side of chiller is 1137' and robin is 1229'. On Mr. Freeze, After the top hat, the ride leads to a somewhat high over banked turn, then goes up a vertical spike which the train goes through the transitions rather nicely. Chiller on the other hand had the zero g rolls after its main element which was rather "sharp" (from my experience at least) then going up the spike, and then getting launched back words into the zero g roll on its way down. It was just poor engineering as mentioned, the trains had no business going through that layout with the speed required to complete the course. (Again this is just my honest opinion.) If the ride gets rebuilt..... everything after the first main element would most likely have to get replaced so your pretty much stuck with buying 1/2 a coaster if you really think about it. I would rather see great adventure spend their money and get and get a new coaster.

The length of Mr. Freeze is 1300' while the batman side of chiller is 1137' and robin is 1229'. On Mr. Freeze, After the top hat, the ride leads to a somewhat high over banked turn, then goes up a vertical spike which the train goes through the transitions rather nicely. Chiller on the other hand had the zero g rolls after its main element which was rather "sharp" (from my experience at least) then going up the spike, and then getting launched back words into the zero g roll on its way down. It was just poor engineering as mentioned, the trains had no business going through that layout with the speed required to complete the course. (Again this is just my honest opinion.) If the ride gets rebuilt..... everything after the first main element would most likely have to get replaced so your pretty much stuck with buying 1/2 a coaster if you really think about it. I would rather see great adventure spend their money and get and get a new coaster.

I agree that the 0g roll was "tight" but if you look at it it is kind of lopsided. I definitely think thta they can kind of smooth this out in a way by stretching out the twist so it is not as high and turn it into a straighter twist, or put more arc or it and even it out. If you watch a POV video of it in slow motion, as it goes over the 0g rolls, it kind of pauses at the top of it. Stretching it out or rounding out the whole thing will elimintate the sharpness to it, which will also get rid of the forces going in reverse(obviously), making it a smoother ride. Also, on the topic of poor engineering, you must remember that it was a prototype, and that the ride was made 15 years ago. This was ground-breaking back then, and of course there are going to be flaws. Now, we know how to fix them, so why not do this in a newer ride. And, this ride costs 15,000,000 dollars in TOTAL. Disregard the station, the observatory (though it already has something in it). It definitely costs less money due to the subtraction of what is already left. They can put some money into this ride which isn't all that expensive for 2 coasters really. It was a dual launch, so for one would be 7,500,000 dollars. This costs less than the Dark Knight did. I would personally rather them rebuild this ride which is a classic among the people, and if you didn't realize, most of the people who want to see it back and have their own ideas and opinions don't write on this website, so its not like I am a lonewolf out here. There are thousands of people who would love to see this ride back. And, this ride would definitely bring in more money if it was reopened.