VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Batman & Robin: The Chiller

29yrswithaGApass

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which was better - Batman or Robin?

• Batman (blue track)
    • Robin (red track)
    • I was only able to ride Batman
    • I was only able to ride Robin
  2. 2. Which restraints were better on Chiller?

• Neck harnesses
    • Lap Bars
  3. 3. Which was better?

• Inverted rolls (1997-2006)
    • In-line humps (2007)

7 years ago, tomorrow, 20 people were stranded upside down on this coaster after lightning hit the sub station next to the park, my question is, how is this possible? was it because the lims on the reverse launch went down and the train didnt have the speed it needed to make it through the g roll?

the pic is from goole earth, and it was just updated earlier this year, who knows with the new managment , it could be possible to see its return to the park, i would think that it is cheaper to retro the launch system, rather then buy a complete new coaster, anything is possible!

My most favorite ride in the park hands down. I was never lucky enough to ride the Batman side because of all of the rides problems. Robin was great though! I remember I use to call in advance to see if the Batman side of the Chiller was open. Thats how obsessed I am with this ride. My heart dropped when I heard about the accident in the 2007 season. I knew the ride was a goner.

I was also able to ride Joker's Jinx at SFGA and it didn't feel the same. It wasen't as exciting.

P.s- I haven't gone back to sfga since Chiller has been removed

I think Great Adventure should have refurbished and did better maintence on Chiller instead of purchasing Kingda KA and the Golden Kingdom,thats when we started loosing all our older rides and now Scream Machine.Theres two coasters like Chiller called Mr.Freeze that operate at two other Six Flags parks still,they might have some down time but not like Chiller or KA does or did.Ultra Twister was sent down south because their maintence department was better than GA's so maybe that was Chiller's problem,who knows.

I think Great Adventure should have refurbished and did better maintence on Chiller instead of purchasing Kingda KA and the Golden Kingdom,thats when we started loosing all our older rides and now Scream Machine.Theres two coasters like Chiller called Mr.Freeze that operate at two other Six Flags parks still,they might have some down time but not like Chiller or KA does or did.Ultra Twister was sent down south because their maintence department was better than GA's so maybe that was Chiller's problem,who knows.

The problem with Chiller was with the design of the ride and it was the same problem with Ultra Twister. The problem for GA is the State of New Jersey and the tight regulations around making any modification to a ride. It makes the process difficult and expensive. The same thing happened with Evolution...sending it out of the park and out of state meant that changes could be made more easily and cheaply. Chiller's problems would have cost more than the ride was worth. From the day it opened to the day it closed it was nothing but headaches and major costs (and Kingda Ka is as well). The shelf life on any ride is limited and I would guess that Kinda Ka will probably suffer the same fate in a few years as costs mount and the value depreciates.

It really had nothing to do with the competence of GA's maintenance crew versus any other parks. The two Mr. Freeze coasters while built using the same trains/track/propulsion have drastically different designs than Chiller had. They have also suffered large amounts of downtime but were somewhat more reliable (as was Speed in Vegas).

I doubt Ka will come down in a few years... It is too much of a draw to a park... Ka will be nothing if something that is way out of this world comes like a Coaster that is 500 ft. High and with 15 loops. But seriously, When do you think that is going to happen, No time soon. There is a very few amount of coasters that are breaking the 300 foot mark... The park will be willing to keep Ka until something happens to it where it is un-fixable... or when something larger comes out and the maintenance costs are greater than the ride is worth.

On the other hand, Chiller DID have problems, It DID have design flaws, It DID cost a lot of money to maintain and It DID have one of the most downtimes any roller coaster in our park had. (Including Ka and Viper) That is why the park removed it. The General Public might have loved it, but the Park hated it, and that is why it had to go.

Edited by Justin

On the other hand, Chiller DID have problems, It DID have design flaws, It DID cost a lot of money to maintain and It DID have one of the most downtimes any roller coaster in our park had. (Including Ka and Viper) That is why the park removed it. The General Public might have loved it, but the Park hated it, and that is why it had to go.

Kingda Ka costs more to maintain than Chiller did, and it has several design flaws (as does Top Thrill Dragster) which is why they and all other hydraulic launch coasters suffer more downtime than standard coasters.

While Ka may be something of a draw, the novelty will wear off like with any ride. As it is the lines are nowhere near what they used to be. Expect another 4-5 years out of Ka before it is removed and/or relocated in a modified form. Expect something record breaking to take its place (but a different kind of record) when it does go.