VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great American Scream Machine Closed

I hope they keep the Boardwalk theme. It's a better fit for a theme park then an Airforce base. Besides what would we do with all the games?

Neon Green would clash with Superman...badly...and we already have a green coaster dominating the skyline. I really hope it isn't superhero themed and something creative like an ocean theme. I'd even settle for Aftershock.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scream Machine was never really themed to the Boardwalk, I don't expect the new ride to be either considering Superman is right next door and doesn't fit in to the theme. The public won't really care that the theme fits as long as it's a fun and enjoyable ride. It's awesome when rides are also themed with a cool storyline and are, but it costs a lot of money to do, and really only few parks can do it. I'm not expecting Expedition Everest, but I'm not expecting generic Nitro theming either. The only things that are really theme-able are the entrance, line, and station though, so I wouldn't write off theming yet.

There was another possible name being polled. I just can't remember right now what it was or wear I read it. Personally I despise the trend at the park of throwing Villains and heroes on rides all over the park. it's tacky! The park was opened at as a theme park. lets bring it back to that.

Scream Machine was never really themed to the Boardwalk, I don't expect the new ride to be either considering Superman is right next door and doesn't fit in to the theme. The public won't really care that the theme fits as long as it's a fun and enjoyable ride. It's awesome when rides are also themed with a cool storyline and are, but it costs a lot of money to do, and really only few parks can do it. I'm not expecting Expedition Everest, but I'm not expecting generic Nitro theming either. The only things that are really theme-able are the entrance, line, and station though, so I wouldn't write off theming yet.

I think you are underestimating the public to think they do not care about theming. Only the teenagers don't care. The lack of theming and poor atmosphere is one of the main reasons adults do not like Six Flags, and one of the main problems that led to their downfall.

It costs just as much money to make a superhero theme as it would to make a theme that actually fits.

Teenagers do not care what the theme is as long as it is a good ride, so why make everything superhero themed, a theme that only appeals to teenagers and further alienates adults?

i still think if they just put up a ride and name it cool, with a good paint scheme it will do just fine, dont get me wrong theming is great, but if it came down to it flats and a coaster with no theme ill take the flats and could do with out the theme

There was another possible name being polled. I just can't remember right now what it was or wear I read it. Personally I despise the trend at the park of throwing Villains and heroes on rides all over the park. it's tacky! The park was opened at as a theme park. lets bring it back to that.

It was Jersey Devil. I would love that theme on Chang.

The whole Boardwalk area is supposed to be a tribute to Jersey and it's historical boardwalks. There have been many sightings and stories of him along the shore, so fitting him into the section wouldn't be totally hard to do. I'd love to see something unique to the park and unique to NJ, plus it's free of licensing and such.

lets analyze this Jersey devil bit for a second shall we. Lets see, the ride could be painted red with black supports, the quenue could be heavily wooded to simulate a forest, but include things such as campsites, trucks and tracks to add to the atmosephere, and also have a frightening low mist go through this forest while playing starge sounds. Also have the quenue go passed a cave that later the ride will go through the "den of the jersey devil". if it's not to much, add some fire effects at the begininning of the cave and maybe a devil animatronic or sculpture of some type to show it. Theres not to much to be done about the station, but perhaps add some monitors or posters through the qunenue explaining Jersey devil sightings and people out to catch it etc. I'm really starting to like this idea. :drool5:

Back to the dreaded Green Lantern idea. I can see the ride with neon green and black supports. The queneu could have the comic book style preshow posters Bizzaro has and add the old rightstuff theming to the quenue such as the plane, flightn enginge, truck to up the airforce feild.

Still want the Jersey Devil though, just IMAGINE how they could market it!

[screamscape.com quote]I got some bad news for your Green Lantern fans out there… as it seems the proposed plans to theme Chang as Green Lantern are stuck between a rock and a hard place. The new board calling the shots at Six Flags is eyeballing every penny right now in an effort to prove to Wall Street that Six Flags is a profitable company under capable management now. As such, they are said to be very unlikely to approve the funding needed to gain the rights to tie the ride into Green Lantern at this point in time…

Such a shame too, it would have been a perfect fit. Maybe they'll change their minds if the film's trailer is released and is a hit.

sorry, quoting wasnt working right from screamscape.com^

I'm feeling happy, i'm feeling sad

is this good news or bad news?

Edited by warnerleroy

For anyone who will be attending (or anyone who cannot attend) Sunday's closing of the ride, photos will be posted here. Check back over the weekend for new pics! :D

Will they be put into the GASM spotlight?

Of course!

We're working on expanding the GASM spotlight right now. With our research for the book we found HUNDREDS of pictures of Scream Machine we had never seen before, some of which we will add, along with picture of the ride's closing and removal over the coming weeks.

I just posted a bunch of new pictures on the GASM page. Click the image below to check them out!

GASMNPPageButton.gif

Here are a few new pictures from today...I may be adding more tomorrow and I encourage all our members who are there tomorrow to do the same!

gallery_505_571805.jpg

gallery_505_826600.jpg

gallery_505_79380.jpg

gallery_505_706860.jpg

gallery_505_8078.jpg

gallery_505_372709.jpg

gallery_505_478020.jpg

gallery_505_617591.jpg

gallery_505_192823.jpg

gallery_505_137334.jpg

gallery_505_117779.jpg

Wow. I just heard the news. I'm coming into this one late, but I just wanted to add my lament for an old classic's last days. I still really enjoy the GASM, and like many here, it was a pretty big piece of my childhood. I feel a little bit at peace about it since I got to ride it again with my cousin a few weeks ago -- the same one that dragged me on it back in '90 (yes, I chickened out the first year). Still, I'd like to get on the ol' girl one more time... so, hopefully I'll get over there tomorrow at some point. Sigh.