VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great American Scream Machine Closed

Riptide would have helped thin out crowds for the water rides, with Water Effect gone as well it has made the Saw Mill Log Flume and Congo Rapids have really long lines. Even though Scream Machine is being replaced with a new ride, it is still a shame we aren't gaining a ride. It still seems shocking that with the size of the park, there are so few rides overall.

If it wasn't for the last minute removal of the ride, I wonder how much longer they would have kept the ride going. Maybe another 5 years?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Riptide would have helped thin out crowds for the water rides, with Water Effect gone as well it has made the Saw Mill Log Flume and Congo Rapids have really long lines. Even though Scream Machine is being replaced with a new ride, it is still a shame we aren't gaining a ride. It still seems shocking that with the size of the park, there are so few rides overall.

If it wasn't for the last minute removal of the ride, I wonder how much longer they would have kept the ride going. Maybe another 5 years?

Indefinitely I would say. As long as "The Great American Scream Machine" remained the rock solid, high throughput, low maintenance attraction its been there's little reason to remove it. At the very least, you would think the ride would be repurposed at a smaller park versus impulsively trashing it. GACoaster suggested the Arrow Megalooper was due for some extensive refurbishment. I would suspect the ride remained structurally sound, so there's little reason not to maintain it. Cedar Fair would have probably sent it to Dorney Park had they owned Great Adventure. ;)

Considering "Chang's" capacity, I still think Six Flags over Texas would have been a better choice. Great Adventure would have benefitted more by adding "flats" or an increased ride staffing budget.

I actually wish both "Riptide" and "Freefall" remained. Both attractions were classics. Mark Shapiro ripped them down as fast as possible to save on operating costs. Granted, "Riptide" and "Freefall" had maintenance issues. Despite that, I believe the added experience both attractions offered warranted their expenditures. Then again, an amusement park operator who can't realize the value of the ubiquitous Zierer Wave Swinger remains suspect to me (Disney and Universal are granted exemption).

Arrow really did make some bulletproof products ["Log Flume" and "Riptide"], didn't they? They probably should have bought B&M if/when they had the money.

And now back to this thread's regularly scheduled programming. :)

I wish they had stayed too, I was really sad to see Riptide go. But at the time most of the GADV internet fanboys were glad to see them go and called them eyesores (their words, not mine). They even started to flame me because I didn't agree with them. I am sure those same people are probably glad that GASM is being removed too.

Considering "Chang's" capacity, I still think Six Flags over Texas would have been a better choice. Great Adventure would have benefitted more by adding "flats" or an increased ride staffing budget.

That would have been nice, I am still looking forward to Chang but I agree about the capacity. There is no way it is going to get 1556 riders an hour like RCDB says. That is 56 dispatches an hour with completely full trains.

The few stand ups I have rode were very slow loading. Also if the loader does not adjust the restraint right, the ride can be pretty uncomfortable for a male rider. That happened to me on the old Togo stand up coaster at King's Dominion.

Edited by The Master

So far nothing as been confirmed except the new coaster. I don't know that there will be enough capital for flats next season as well, but we may know more on the conference call. Flats won't need approval from the planning board until the last minute since so many existing pads are in the park.

I'll be posting some new pics later tonight. Tomorrow would be a great day for anyone with time on their hands to get out to the park since the 1st loop should be coming down first thing in the morning. By the end of the day I wouldn't be surprised to see most if not all of the first drop gone as well. By the end of the week the bulk of the structure should be cleared (just in time for arrival of the first parts for the new coaster). Expect the announcement of the new coaster to come just about the same time the first track parts arrive on scene. Footers holes should start going in the next week.

Here are some photos from earlier this afternoon at the Great American Scream Machine site.

Looking at this photo it would appear that the ride is still all there and operable.

gallery_2_43_113807.jpg

Loop number one is still in place.

gallery_2_43_820187.jpg

It looks like the ultimate Arrow shuttle loop coaster!

gallery_2_43_574518.jpg

Here is something you might see on RCT3!

gallery_2_43_614889.jpg

The Parachutes will seem even taller once the GASM lift is gone.

gallery_2_43_582264.jpg

J-U-N-K!

gallery_2_43_1206929.jpg

Shouldn't this be "Under DEfunstruction"!

gallery_2_43_810126.jpg

gallery_2_43_463736.jpg

There was a whole lot of pointing going on by these guys in the lift bucket. Maybe they are looking to salvage it for the Safari!

gallery_2_43_823224.jpg

Work also continues on the removal of the old Space Shuttle (Looping Starship) remains.

gallery_2_43_748635.jpg

The crane was up at the top of the lift today to remove the motor at the top. Alot of the "footer's" are coming out as well. Twister, Chutes, and the entire back section of the Golden Kingdom was closed. The closest you could get was the entrance to Temple Of The Tiger, then they moved it back because "ash" from the welders at the top was blowing in that direction My shirt was covered in it. Sorry for the "small" pics. I only had my Blackberry with me, and that's what happens when I use the "zoom".

gallery_208_401_30918.jpg

gallery_208_401_14611.jpg

gallery_208_401_602644.jpg

gallery_208_401_602839.jpg

gallery_208_401_78544.jpg

gallery_208_401_16977.jpg

gallery_208_401_159.jpg

is gasms main entrance still standing, i hope they keep it for the new coaster, and as a smal dedication to what helped our park become great, even though it wont be the scream machine entrance just knowing what stood once in that location is good enough for me!

CoasterFusion.com reports Six Flags is simply disposing of "The Great American Scream Machine" in the Ocean County Dump. If that's true, what a waste. I can't imagine any alleged tax credit being greater than scrap value. If the remains aren't being recycled at all, then Six Flags should truly be ashamed.

Al Weber is the breath of fresh air Six Flags needs. Sadly, that air is the exhaust of an Elizabeth NJ Oil Refinery.

http://coasterfusion.com/page.php?477

Edited by Thunderbolt

is gasms main entrance still standing, i hope they keep it for the new coaster, and as a smal dedication to what helped our park become great, even though it wont be the scream machine entrance just knowing what stood once in that location is good enough for me!

Well according to the article posted in the 2011 construction page, they are!

^ I would find it hard to believe that they aren't scraping the metal. Afterall, this would be the ultimate in recycling and their "Go Green" initiatives.

Stranger things have happened. Look at all the unsold Atari "E.T." Cartridges and "Apple III" Computers disposed of in the desert. Six Flags's DNA is littered with the genes of rash decisions.