VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Great American Scream Machine Closed

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing the pictures is one thing, seeing it in person is kind of sad, with the track all torn up like that. I just got to the park and it's still the first coaster I noticed :(

Great video, i love destruction and saying goodbye to gasm was fun but im really looking forward to the rise of a new era! any ideas on what colors should be for the new ride , id like to see something bright so it matches the chutes, im thinking red supports and black track and call it flashback, it would have some meaning to it as there was once a stand up 150 yards away or even a paint scheme similar tho the spotlight header for chaos

Edited by gafreak

Watching the falling loop video was kind of sad. "The Great American Scream Machine" leaves Great Adventure absent of any dignity. I'd love to know how much Six Flags is earning for the scrapped steel.

I was bracing myself for feeling really sad about GASM going having been there from the day the first pieces of track arrived in 1988, but after riding it closing night all I can think is that its time has really passed. It was at the point where it was going to require some major track repair as well as replacement trains...just not worth spending the money on it.

so sad. just found out today. made me sick. it's been awhile since i was on the forums. thats what happens when you don't keep up on things. Every time i went to the park i would ride it. Knowing that someday it wouldn't be there anymore. I didn't know the last time i rode it was going to be the real last time. I was there last saturday and didnt even notice. all i noticed was superman was down and thought to myself the lines on other rides will be long since superman holds alot of people in line for a long time.. but it's true. all good things must end and buddychrist is right. look at all the rides that have gone and new rides took their place. it's progress and it's what Great Adventure is all about

I was bracing myself for feeling really sad about GASM going having been there from the day the first pieces of track arrived in 1988, but after riding it closing night all I can think is that its time has really passed. It was at the point where it was going to require some major track repair as well as replacement trains...just not worth spending the money on it.

I agree it's not worth the upgrade costs to keep it at Great Adventure. Most of my previous posts laud the Arrow Megalooper's departure. For a park like Six Flags America or La Ronde however, the costs would be trivial for what amounts to a "new to them" marquee attraction. Moving "Goliath" from La Ronde to Six Flags St. Louis or Fiesta Texas for "The Great American Scream Machine" seems like a savvy business decision too. Six Flags Fiesta Texas or St. Louis gets their missing "Hypercoaster", and a smaller park like La Ronde gets a replacement more suited to its status. At this point, it's moot with the "The Great American Scream Machine" moving to that well themed amusement park in the sky.

Will the Safari loops be joining its brethren; or will it remain the sole remnants of a once mighty ride?

Edited by Thunderbolt

At least there will be the loops in the safari as a reminder to us of what once stood mighty among the skyline, all that remains left tonight is the lift and first loop, my guess is it will all be gone by next weekend! :Z1::chainsaw:

Edited by gafreak

You guys are sounding like the people who were glad when the "ugly old eye sores Riptide and Freefall" were removed.

I actually wish both "Riptide" and "Freefall" remained. Both attractions were classics. Mark Shapiro ripped them down as fast as possible to save on operating costs. Granted, "Riptide" and "Freefall" had maintenance issues. Despite that, I believe the added experience both attractions offered warranted their expenditures. Then again, an amusement park operator who can't realize the value of the ubiquitous Zierer Wave Swinger remains suspect to me (Disney and Universal are granted exemption).

Arrow really did make some bulletproof products ["Log Flume" and "Riptide"], didn't they? They probably should have bought B&M if/when they had the money.

And now back to this thread's regularly scheduled programming. :)