VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Spotlight Requests

Thrill-Pics

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

How about a spotlight of GADV's service vehicles through the years? Parking lot trans, safari warden trucks, security cars, fire trucks, etc? I have even seen that the park has a airplane tug running around from time to time. I think for a while, Six Flag's in house wooden coaster construction dept had specially marked Chevy El Caminos for performing coaster maintenance.   

Edited by The Master

The parking lot trams will be a spotlight because we have a lot of photos of those through the years.  Putting something together for the rest of the vehicles is a great idea but I think it will probably be a dedicated album in our galleries versus a spotlight because what we have is an unrelated collection of photos and not so much a chronological story to share about them.  Besides, putting them in the galleries would allow members to add comments about the photos which would probably provide for more details on the vehicles than we could write-up.

For example, you have listed as one of your interests old farm tractors.  Below is a photo of a tractor that was mixed in with a set of GA constriction slides.  I am pretty certain it was taken at the park as it was in a sequence of photos at GA with the photos before and after it taken at the park.  Are you familiar with this model - age, type of use, etc?

GAH ND 017 copy.jpg

9 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

The parking lot trams will be a spotlight because we have a lot of photos of those through the years.  Putting something together for the rest of the vehicles is a great idea but I think it will probably be a dedicated album in our galleries versus a spotlight because what we have is an unrelated collection of photos and not so much a chronological story to share about them.  Besides, putting them in the galleries would allow members to add comments about the photos which would probably provide for more details on the vehicles than we could write-up.

For example, you have listed as one of your interests old farm tractors.  Below is a photo of a tractor that was mixed in with a set of GA constriction slides.  I am pretty certain it was taken at the park as it was in a sequence of photos at GA with the photos before and after it taken at the park.  Are you familiar with this model - age, type of use, etc?

GAH ND 017 copy.jpg

with those bolts sticking up it looks like the top half of the engine is missing!

22 hours ago, dougdrummer said:

with those bolts sticking up it looks like the top half of the engine is missing!

Along with the missing seating, steering, gear shift, maybe even transmission (it looks like the torque converter but nothing else). Even at the time of this picture that tractor had been out of commission for a while.

Without the body parts and little more than a engine block and frame its hard to tell a make, model, and year. Going by the green frame and red wheels I am guessing its a tractor manufactured by Oliver. That said I will leave you with this disclaimer. I know nothing about tractors or tractor manufacturers. 

I guessed at the manufacturer from this information I got form this web page.  https://countrysidenetwork.com/daily/homesteading/tractors-farm-equipment/tractor-paint-colors-breaking-the-code/

"Most Oliver farm tractors are the dark green with red wheels."

On 2/12/2018 at 12:02 AM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

GAH ND 017 copy.jpg

Steel wheels probably means it was built no later than WW2. In the 30s rubber tires were becoming popular for tractors, but rubber shortages caused by the war extended production of steel wheels for awhile. There is so much missing from the tractor I can't ID it real well. Looks like it was used as a parts donor as the engine head, radiator, steering wheel, stearing gearbox, seat, and sheetmetal are gone. Probably an Oliver going by the color. Until the 50s most tractors had manual transmissions and would not have torque converters. The high ground clearance and narrow front indicates it was a rowcrop model used for tall crops like corn. 

Edited by The Master

Nice assessment The Master.  I should have waited for you to check out the photo. I went with the torque converter. well, because there is something there and its not a transmission and its not part of the engine. Its not a clutch, pressure plate or flywheel so I had no other ideas. And it has the shape. But it was just a guess. As I said, I don't know anything about tractors so your knowledge is fun to me.

Thank you. Tractors tended to be simpler than cars, yet use better grade parts and materials. Most tractor manufactures went to OHV engines in the 20s while it took most car companies until the 50s to go OHV. 

The airport tug I see around GADV, I think was originally a prop for The Right Stuff but is now used for service work. I don't know much about airport tugs. 

Edited by The Master